World Cup chat and bets

Stubbe-Unibet

On 11/10/2022 at 10:36 AM, Stubbe-Unibet said:

10 days to go! Thought we should have a dedicated thread for the upcoming tournament. Curious to see what bets you guys have placed and will place.

It can come as no surprise that I've bet on Denmark to win the tournament. I'm also considering just putting a little bet on Skov Olsen to be the top goalscorer of the tournament 😄 

Kobe Bryant GIF

@Stubbe-Unibet being the company man that he is, of course tries to do anything he can to direct the money streams to potential losers. 😆 Lindström was the only respectable player I knew from Denmark...

But more time for the Danish FA to ponder whether or not to leave Fifa. 🤣 Hopefully, Japan upsets Spain tomorrow and we'll be next...

• Haha 1
We're gonna win on so many levels! We're gonna win, win, win. You're gonna get so tired of winning, you're gonna say: "Mr. President please, we don't wanna win anymore, it's too much!" And I'm gonna say: "I'm sorry, we're gonna keep winning because we're gonna make America great again!"

9 hours ago, GR1ZZL3R said:

And to continue the theme, Poland supinely accepted a defeat that would take them through... hopefully. No ambition, no passion, no drive, creativity or heart, completely the opposite to Mexico, but going through instead of them. A pity, and a big change needed or France will fancy a walkover to the quarters.  

Agree. Poland is through, but what a looser mentality. Disgusting result for football. 

And to continue the theme, Poland supinely accepted a defeat that would take them through... hopefully. No ambition, no passion, no drive, creativity or heart, completely the opposite to Mexico, but going through instead of them. A pity, and a big change needed or France will fancy a walkover to the quarters.  

Agree. Poland is through, but what a looser mentality. Disgusting result for football. 

Well done to Japan, a team actually showing some fighting spirit and togetherness, but... why can't Fifa show conclusive proof that the ball wasn't out. Fifty six years ago Germany lost to a controversial "was it over the line or not?" decision, same situation today despite massive increases in the number of cameras and technology, oh dear, never mind. 

"It turns out that 75% of all poker players think they play better than the other 75%."     image.png.99a4e82708d54abfc527324e8836768e.png

1920x1080.jpg?t=1668775641429

Happy Big Brother GIF by MOODMAN

52 minutes ago, GR1ZZL3R said:

Well done to Japan, a team actually showing some fighting spirit and togetherness, but... 

Yeah, but Spain was a disgrace playing for the 1-2. Also funny to see how guys like Havertz started whining about Spain losing to Japan 1-2. Guess what? Germany lost 1-2 to Japan as well!

Chicago Bulls What GIF by NBA

We're gonna win on so many levels! We're gonna win, win, win. You're gonna get so tired of winning, you're gonna say: "Mr. President please, we don't wanna win anymore, it's too much!" And I'm gonna say: "I'm sorry, we're gonna keep winning because we're gonna make America great again!"

Please stop spreading your gay or anti-gay propaganda in these threads. There are other more suitable forums for this.

This is my prediction for the rest of world cup:

1/8 finals:

Holland-USA

Arg-Australia

France-Poland

England-Senegal

Japan-Croatia

Brasil-Ghana

Morocco-Spain

Portugal-Switzerland

1/4 finals:

France-England

Holland-Argentina

Spain-Portugal

Croatia-Brasil

1/2 finals:

Argentina-France

Brasil-Portugal

Final:

France-Brasil

Result in final: 3-0

Congrats France!

• Like 1

@WuDuDidn't anyone watch the spain-japan match from the staff? Spain was clearly playing for 2nd place. I was surprised that the staff didn't have a plan to lose to Costa Rica one way or another. No one would have a grudge against the Germans, certainly not me 🙂

From the 2:1 score for Japan, you could play for time, cramps and have a 10-minute longer match than the Spain-Japan. Give Costa Rica up to 3 goals if ...

weird very weird.

Edited by pinki
  • Haha 1
"Small opportunities are often the beginning of great enterprises."

Hell, if there were some public betting resultwarnings in the Finnish mediasite about Spain tactically losing the game deliberately, there surely must've been similar on other countries too 😁 May it be done on purpose or not, Spain sure made the fail look like genuine and authentic, despite the little help of VAR 🤔

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pinki said:

@WuDuDidn't anyone watch the spain-japan match from the staff? Spain was clearly playing for 2nd place. I was surprised that the staff didn't have a plan to lose to Costa Rica one way or another. No one would have a grudge against the Germans, certainly not me 🙂

From the 2:1 score for Japan, you could play for time, cramps and have a 10-minute longer match than the Spain-Japan. Give Costa Rica up to 3 goals if ...

weird very weird.

Sorry @pinki, but that's female logic you're suggesting here. 🤪 However I read on the transfermarkt forums that some users also were suggesting scoring 3 own goals once Japan-Spain was over to get back at Spain. 😅

50 minutes ago, Rushbie said:

Hell, if there were some public betting resultwarnings in the Finnish mediasite about Spain tactically losing the game deliberately, there surely must've been similar on other countries too 😁 May it be done on purpose or not, Spain sure made the fail look like genuine and authentic, despite the little help of VAR 🤔

Don't forget, Spain was out of the tournament for a brief period of time once Costa Rica scored the 2-1. The 2-2 came a little too fast, so I'm not sure that was done on purpose by Spain. However how they completely refused to attack the Japanese defense and passed from left to right and vice versa in the Japanese half is totally beyond me.

In the end, it doesn't matter: Another One Love team is out, the German FA completely embarrassed itself and all the BVB players are now getting one month of vacation!

Uruguay-Ghana tomorrow for those of you following this tournament...

Luis Suarez LOL

7 hours ago, pinki said:

Spain was clearly playing for 2nd place

Rumours were out there but dunno, 2nd goal should not be goal and Ferran did go 100% for the rebound which was Spain's best chance for equalizer. On the other hand, many of Spain's passes and desicions were bit fishy looking. But nothing away from Japan, they won both favs and defending looked very tight in the end, not match room between them.

People starting to see monsters under the bed when there are in fact no monsters under the bed. Taking one or two incidents and interpreting them to your own satisfaction is where some of these fantastic conspiracy theories start. Get a grip and comment on what actually happened rather than what could maybe possibly probably happened.

"It turns out that 75% of all poker players think they play better than the other 75%."     image.png.99a4e82708d54abfc527324e8836768e.png

@LivertoolI'm not saying they let Japan score two goals, but once they did, their game looked...

at 2-1 to Costa Rica, I guarantee you another goal for Spain to the end.  It's a pity that the draw for the Spain was also ok 🙂

12 minutes ago, pinki said:

@LivertoolI'm not saying they let Japan score two goals, but once they did, their game looked...

at 2-1 to Costa Rica, I guarantee you another goal for Spain to the end.  It's a pity that the draw for the Spain was also ok 🙂

Yeah don't know either, just told how match looked to me. But one thing is for certain that players were aware what was going on in other match and Spain knew that unless Germany wins with min 6 goals Spain will go through in 2nd position which was better than winning the group.

6 minutes ago, GR1ZZL3R said:

People starting to see monsters under the bed when there are in fact no monsters under the bed. Taking one or two incidents and interpreting them to your own satisfaction is where some of these fantastic conspiracy theories start. Get a grip and comment on what actually happened rather than what could maybe possibly probably happened.

@GR1ZZL3R I say the Germans had all the tools to make them score a goal or goals. 

@WuDu but yeap, our team played so far 2 horrible games for eyes, but  not to lose the first match is a priority. Germany has done it twice in a row - 

My take Germans were very unlucky. They dont set the world on fire but the play was perfectly adequate to make at least quarters. Japan winning with Spain with 17% posession? 🤩 I call it mighty unlucky. Germany Japan was just weird weird game. Total control in first half with 3/4 clear chances and then sudden collapse after Gundogan left the pitch. He even didnt had very good game and his sub Goretzka didnt play bad its just the midfield after that sub stopped pressing/controlling the game. Spain game Germany were clearly better team but didnt have striker to close the chances. When he was subbed on we had equalizer. Hindsight is germans should push a lot harder for the win and they were happy with draw. Playing Muller/Havertz was mistake but other than that i thought they could go far. They would go past Croatia and then Brazil and we know what Brazil thinks about Germany 😆 Unlucky...

the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist

And so the group stages finish with yet another team not needing to win to progress in fact not winning and progressing, a common theme lately. 

Which leaves us with 16 teams and a tourney wide open for the taking. 

image.png.a0158f98c71d7c80db3fa3636b85f773.png 

The first 4 favourites all have some positives but all some negatives, including that they each lost a group game, not all of them vital but some could have been costly, not the sort of confidence building message that should be sent out. With all the shocks so far maybe a case could be made for any of the teams left to spring a surprise. Really? Australia? USA? Well maybe not but others certainly. Anyway we're down to the knockout stages, so I'm expecting a lot more defending, hitting on the break, hanging on for the draw and hoping for that touch of luck that a one off match can provide. The more I look at it the more I see the winner coming from the first 5 in the betting, including England who shouldn't really be scared of anyone. Maybe that is my natural chauvinistic jingoism seeping through, as it applies to all the teams left, there simply doesn't look like a stand out favourite.

I asked a few well known figures for their opinions and...

giphy.gif.525cb05e16553e1138d911a06d83981c.gif

My final choice....

giphy.gif.d298ae9a246bd4b1e0f8e8415a06312a.gif

... well what else did you expect? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1