The poker chit chat

JeppeL

How to Discuss a Poker Hand

When it comes to reviewing a hand, you need all the relevant info. For others to be able to put
themselves in your shoes, you have to make your description of it as vivid as possible. When
players just say, “I had this hand on this stack. What would you do?”, it’s hard to replay the
situation, since so much is missing. Kind of like saying, “I got angry and punched some guy in
the face. What would you have done?” There’s a lot missing from that story, and it’s difficult to
see yourself making the same decision with that amount of information.

Here’s what you need to do:

 Paint a clear picture of the exact situation.
 Do not post the results, or allude to the results of what happened. (This will affect the
response of the other person. It’s human nature: hindsight bias.)
 Don’t try to elicit emotions, be it rage on your behalf or sympathy. Also, don’t post just
to stroke your ego. Poor form, and it’s a bad habit.
 Include ALL relevant information (but not more).
→ How many players were at the table?
→ Positions (of all players involved in the hand)
→ All actions (fold, call, raise, re-raise, etc.)
→ Stack depth (how many big blinds did you each have?)
→ Hand ranges (what hands could they have?)
→ Your reads on the other players
→ Their image at the table (how well are they playing?)
→ Your image at the table (how well are you playing?)
→ Any past history between you and your opponent(s) (dynamics)

NOTE: If the only reason you have a question about a hand is that you didn’t like the result of
what happened, then you probably just got unlucky and are wasting time and mental energy
thinking about what you could’ve done differently. Focus on the spots that give you serious
cause for uncertainty.

What to Expect

 Expect perspectives and opinions.
 Do not expected definite answers. Poker is not right/wrong or black/white. It’s a scale.
 Be open to criticism and listen to others, or there’s no point in asking for feedback.
 Accept feedback on all streets of the hand and on all decision points - not just about
your question.
 Be open to what flows. Have no expectation or what you specifically want to hear, as you
may miss the golden nugget.

Remember: this process is not about validating your decision; it’s about beginning the learning
process.
The more thought and attention you put into the hand yourself, the more thought and attention
people will put into their responses. Do the same when you respond to other people’s
questions about hands. If you do your best to genuinely help them, they will do the same for
you.
If you don’t have an opinion or a response, that’s fine too. It’s OK to just hold space and listen
to someone’s challenges fully; you may come to a helpful answer later, and you can share this
with them if and then. The worst thing you can do is ignore those who are seeking help or
seeking to help you.

This is from the "Ultimate Poker Study Guide" by Gripsed

• Like 7

@Merenitsu  ok :wonder:so you take an example of a bad game instead of learning and after that : complain about 0lucky in the forum.  Rofl.i see nice logic in this:  adapt to a bad game instead: use/exploit it. 

"Small opportunities are often the beginning of great enterprises."

@FreedoM   we don't see many things that @Merenitsu  tells us. Maybe he was called by stack: 22BB, after that he got AQo from 8BB and after that post about 0lucky.  :wonder:

edit:

@Merenitsu  I am far from saying who and what have to do with own cards. I often do much dumber things. I'm just aware of it :) It's just frustrating how people often fail to notice their mistakes and blame the god knows who for their decisions.

• Like 2
"Small opportunities are often the beginning of great enterprises."

@pinki wrote:

@FreedoM   we don't see many things that @Merenitsu  tells us. Maybe he was called by stack: 22BB, after that he got AQo from 8BB and after that post about 0lucky.  :wonder:

Its my last involvement in this because his stubbornness is legendary also i've seen him do some wild stuff and then cry wolf one to many times. 

• Like 1

Im starting to think im the worst bounty player ever. Two times FT without one bounty and today ITM also without a bounty[like 30% of the buyin back :geek:]. Had really healthy stack but every bounty spot i was losing to shorts. Its like in unibet bounty world you need to be far behind 😀

Also im constantly missing bounty spots. Should i check on BB with QJo with 3people allin???? Two shorts showed air and the big stack who throw me away shows only A5 with two Qs on flop :teardrop: Would also eat bounties with K8 top pair cause villain throw me away from them with k6 [weird hand still think it was good fold somehow]. Lets hope in UOS i will made better decisions

the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist

@Leo-Unibet

Can Unibet consider adding path 5e=>10e? For 10e currently is only one rebuy/addon for 1e [variance is pretty high there] a day and since 10e is a rebuy/addon it would be really nice having 5e double up satellites for gathering more 10e tickets. No guarantees, one ticket for every 10e in the field. Something to consider 👍

the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist

@Iceman wrote:

@psrquack wrote:

Is it true RedStar wants to join to Unibet's franchise after MPN will close their service @Patric-Unibet ?

Unibet probably won't comment this.

Never heard of Redstar but it would be really great if some of the MPN sites joined Unibet.

Most likely MPN sites move to ipoker

Yeah, Ipoker seems to be the only serious solution(what is exasperating). I'm also curious waht will Kindred do with 32red. Maybe they will merge it to Unibet pool too.