Ex Head of Poker, about to start streaming @Unibet 😬

Dpommo

Hi all! I’m David and I used to work as Head of Poker at Unibet up until around 2019, before moving to the same position at iPoker (I’m a traitor and very ashamed of myself for that) before eventually moving on to work in social gaming. I still love Unibet’s software and finding myself with some extra free time a few months ago, I decided to play around with the current version to see if I was still a winning poker player (still very much TBD, but to give some background I used to play professionally up to NL5k until 2011, back when the games were a LOT easier). The main problem I have found with my game is that I can lack discipline, which can be especially costly as I’m playing PLO.

I’m a slight winner since I restarted but decided to give streaming a go as I *should* be more disciplined with people watching, and I figure I have a potentially interesting perspective having played professionally for a decade and worked in the industry for a decade. I’m playing PLO50 and shot-taking higher, so the games are fun too. Right now my bankroll is around €5,000 (100 buyins) with 10k in bonus points which I’m currently saving towards a PLO400 ticket. 

I’m going to stream on YouTube rather than Twitch - I use that platform a lot more generally and think it has more potential than Twitch. I’ve tested my setup tonight and all seems good so I’m going to go live on Saturday 21st April just before 22:00 CET. I’m away on Sunday but from Monday evening I’ll be streaming most nights from around 21:00 CET. Hopefully I still know a few of the community members so feel free to come and say hi and support the channel, any feedback is more than welcome! You can find it at: https://youtube.com/@dpommo, once I’ve got some streamed content in the bank I aim to start creating VODs on YouTube too and if it goes well I’ve got some ideas to expand the channel in future. 

• Like 19

2 hours ago, SShcherbyna said:

@Dpommo Hello and welcome to the community! 😁

It would be interesting to hear from you some thoughts and stories related to your past jobs, because it is a rather unique case that you have been on both sides of poker, as a player and as a staff. 

Thanks! I’m a very open person so always happy to share stories and thoughts, hopefully there’s some interesting stuff in there. It’s definitely been interesting to be a part of the industry for 20 years, obviously there have been so many changes and so much has shifted and evolved in that time. 

• Like 2

Nice to see new streamers. It might be a good idea to play and stream those 5€ community events in Tuesday / Wednesday / Thursday / Saturday if you're up to it. As far as I have noticed no-one has been streaming them and it is a bit shame.

• Like 3

Good shout, I’m definitely up for doing that and I should be playing most (if not all) of those evenings.

Going to go live with my first stream in around 30 mins, it’s a test stream but I’m fairly confident everything is working as planned. 

4 hours ago, Farseer said:

Nice to see new streamers. It might be a good idea to play and stream those 5€ community events in Tuesday / Wednesday / Thursday / Saturday if you're up to it. As far as I have noticed no-one has been streaming them and it is a bit shame.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi @Dpommo 

I watched your test stream this morning and it certainly looked like a good start, once you get used to things I'm sure you'll have a very watchable stream. The picture quality was good as was the sound and all seems fine. A minor quibble is the chat in white letters on a yellow background meant a little screwing up of the eyes at times, hopefully you could make it black lettering please! 🤓 One more minor point, I don't know if it's my eyes again, but you seemed to be getting dealt 4 cards every time, is this a problem with the software? 🙄

Great start though I'll try to check in live next time, I'm your 8th subscriber and have hit the like and bell, 😇 keep it going and good luck. 🍀

"It turns out that 75% of all poker players think they play better than the other 75%."     image.png.99a4e82708d54abfc527324e8836768e.png

Thanks, I’m going to try to make the chat box a lot more readable before the next stream. If I can I’m going to stream on Monday night, otherwise I’ll be streaming the community MTTs with cards hidden from Tuesday onwards. 

8 hours ago, GR1ZZL3R said:

Hi @Dpommo 

I watched your test stream this morning and it certainly looked like a good start, once you get used to things I'm sure you'll have a very watchable stream. The picture quality was good as was the sound and all seems fine. A minor quibble is the chat in white letters on a yellow background meant a little screwing up of the eyes at times, hopefully you could make it black lettering please! 🤓 One more minor point, I don't know if it's my eyes again, but you seemed to be getting dealt 4 cards every time, is this a problem with the software? 🙄

Great start though I'll try to check in live next time, I'm your 8th subscriber and have hit the like and bell, 😇 keep it going and good luck. 🍀

• Like 4

Welcome back @Dpommo!

A few thoughts after catching the stream:

1) This was very polished for a first stream, I liked it.

2) I really like the PLO cash stream format where we can see the cards and hear the thought process, this is completely lost when its in real time w hole cards hidden. I don't think I have ever seen a Unibet PLO stream before so this is great stuff. 

3) Personally not interested in watching nanostakes community MTTs with hole cards hidden, but possibly this would be popular with the community (most of the community play nanostakes MTTs, very few play 100PLO). 

4) WRT the differences between stakes, in my experience you get a lot of the same players in 50NL/PLO - 200NL/PLO especially at off peak times when there are limited games running. The big jump I notice is moving up to 400NL/PLO because a decent chunk of regs don't really want to play lower and they are also happier to reg battle shorthanded as they are chasing volume rewards. 

5) I am a huge PLO fish so its really really nice seeing someone competent streaming PLO. The metagame on Unibet is not the same as eg. 100PLOz on other sites so content from the games I might actually play in is really helpful. I would be interested to hear your thoughts on the meta game here.

6) Are you working for a free to play poker app now? What is that like? Can you elaborate on the transition from poker pro, to working for real money poker sites then to play money poker sites? Very curious how you made this journey as its a path I might take one day. 

7) Personally I would prefer to be able to see more tables so you aren't jumping back and forth as much and I can follow action across more tables. ie the stream is tiled not stacked so all 4 tables are visible simultaneously. 

8 )  Was the flat with T665 triple suited in CO vs 3.5bb open from MP a misclick?

GL with the stream, I will definitely tune in (either in real time or watching the replays).

Edited by Wizard

On 4/23/2023 at 11:27 PM, sgriff said:

Welcome 'back' David.

12 hours ago, Jami-Unibet said:

Hey David and welcome back! I'll for sure come by to say hi in the streams, best of luck! 

Hey both, hope you guys are well!

16 hours ago, Wizard said:

Welcome back @Dpommo!

A few thoughts after catching the stream:

1) This was very polished for a first stream, I liked it.

2) I really like the PLO cash stream format where we can see the cards and hear the thought process, this is completely lost when its in real time w hole cards hidden. I don't think I have ever seen a Unibet PLO stream before so this is great stuff. 

3) Personally not interested in watching nanostakes community MTTs with hole cards hidden, but possibly this would be popular with the community (most of the community play nanostakes MTTs, very few play 100PLO). 

4) WRT the differences between stakes, in my experience you get a lot of the same players in 50NL/PLO - 200NL/PLO especially at off peak times when there are limited games running. The big jump I notice is moving up to 400NL/PLO because a decent chunk of regs don't really want to play lower and they are also happier to reg battle shorthanded as they are chasing volume rewards. 

5) I am a huge PLO fish so its really really nice seeing someone competent streaming PLO. The metagame on Unibet is not the same as eg. 100PLOz on other sites so content from the games I might actually play in is really helpful. I would be interested to hear your thoughts on the meta game here.

6) Are you working for a free to play poker app now? What is that like? Can you elaborate on the transition from poker pro, to working for real money poker sites then to play money poker sites? Very curious how you made this journey as its a path I might take one day. 

7) Personally I would prefer to be able to see more tables so you aren't jumping back and forth as much and I can follow action across more tables. ie the stream is tiled not stacked so all 4 tables are visible simultaneously. 

8 )  Was the flat with T665 triple suited in CO vs 3.5bb open from MP a misclick?

GL with the stream, I will definitely tune in (either in real time or watching the replays).

Thanks a lot for the feedback.

1) Much appreciated! I’m going to try to continue to improve it so it’s as enjoyable & watchable as I can get it.

2) I don’t think I’ve seen a Unibet PLO cash game stream either and as it’s my favourite game I figured I’d focus on that. I think where my play session is the priority for me then I’ll stream PLO cash but when I’m streaming to primarily stream then I may mix it up a bit (I may even start streaming other games later on).

3) I’m happy to play and stream the league games, although there are some evenings where I’ll be putting my daughter to bed and won’t be able to get online in time for when the games start.

4) That’s really good to know, and makes me question whether I want to continue saving my bonus points to shot-take 400PLO now. I’m currently at 105,000 bonus points, plan was to buy a €1,200 ticket soon and half-stack 400PLO with effectively 6 buyins. That tactic has worked well in the past at 100PLO but it might not last long if it’s mainly reg battles.

5) Watch more of my play before you take me as competent 😁 I think I’m a long-term winner in the game (especially with some improved discipline) but over the last 30k hands I’m exactly breakeven (my bankroll has increased from MTT cashes). I really enjoy PLO though so I want to prove to myself that I can beat that game.With regards your question though, I lean way more towards an exploitative/exploitable game so the meta becomes really important to me. I think people are playing way too much out of position in these games, especially with dominated ranges, and a lot of regs I see aren’t adjusting enough when people start to get out of line. Their plan seems to become wait for AAxx to trap them and then they end up losing a 3-way allin with 25% equity. What are your thoughts on the meta, and do you mind sharing which stakes/aliases you play? I’m curious if we ever play together, I often play as canwefrend and ChooChooo.

6) Yep I work for a free-to-play poker app now (Replay Poker) and I really enjoy it. The transition between the different areas is a long topic but if it’s something you’re considering doing then I’m happy to jump on a call one day to chat about it more, getting more people who love poker into the industry is something I’ve been passionate about for a long time. You’ve given me an idea for an interesting topic for a YouTube video too, so thanks 🙂.

7) Good shout, I’ve changed the setup to just show 4 tables at once with the option for me to focus on 1 table if needed if desired 👍🏻.

8 ) It might have been, I was finding it hard to focus initially while trying to make sure everything was working fine. If it was later in the session though it may have been intentional and potentially a leak. If I were to play that hand in that situation it would normally be because I’m targeting the MP raiser or expect the pot to become multi-way because of the players in the blinds, but if I’m targeting the MP raiser then I’d hope I’d be 3-betting. Do you know roughly when it was in the stream, I’ll watch it back? 

1) 🙂

2) I would just stream what you fancy doing that night, its no fun streaming something you don't enjoy. I do rate the PLO, obviously PLO on Unibet is gonna be a smaller total audience than IDK, Fortnite but its also easier to be the king of the niche. Big fish in a small pond > small fish in the ocean.

3) You flexing here with a daughter AND A real 9-5 job 🤣 

4) I might be wrong about the PLO games because I have no clue what those games are like but this is how I perceive the NLHE games. I will say that you definitely get recreational players including extremely recreational players at every stake.

5) TBF I have no clue how to play PLO so I'm not entirely sure you are competent LMAO. This might be a case of the blind leading the blind here xD. 30K hands isn't a ton so the next 30k hands might be quite different. IDK what the rake situation is like in these games but I have been told that low stakes PLO can be a bit of a rake trap. Having said that I am sure the PLO is significantly softer than the NLHE. Agree about position I think the blinds think its ok to call wide because they are already in for 0.5 or 1 bb but the positional disadvantage is extremely big, especially in SRPs when the SPR is huge.

About 95% of my volume is 50NL-200NL, but when volume is low I might flick in some B20, 10-25 Hexas and Comps 10-250. PLO (50 or 100) is rare, I have months with zero 4 card pokering.

I do not recall ever seeing your SNs but I mostly play quite late at night eg. midnight to 6am London time and very rarely play PLO so we probably just missing each other.

SN: Wizard_ (I was too late for the SN: 'Wizard' 😞)

WRT meta stuff eg. balance / exploit / GTO: put it this way, the only time I balance is when I mix between snap calling and timebank calling with the nuts vs a nitreg (If you slowroll every time it would be boring, once in a while is good).

Some of my metagame thoughts might have to be a one to one convo🤫

6) My primary career plan is to just win the WSOPME and retire xD. Failing that, as poker gets increasingly tough to make a living from I definitely see working for a poker room as being the next logical career step. Thats a really kind offer, It would definitely be interesting to chat. I messaged you on FB (I'm semi surprised we haven't bumped into each other before as I live in North London and was fairly active in the live poker scene here pre covid).

7) Yeah I think this is probably better, might have to play around until you perfect it. Another option is 3 tables and then 25% of the screen for your face and chat.

8 ) 7 minutes 20 seconds 

Run good!

6 hours ago, Andy-Unibet said:

Nice to see you back Mr Pomroy. Best of variance in the streets.

Thank you very much!

5 hours ago, Wizard said:

1) 🙂

2) I would just stream what you fancy doing that night, its no fun streaming something you don't enjoy. I do rate the PLO, obviously PLO on Unibet is gonna be a smaller total audience than IDK, Fortnite but its also easier to be the king of the niche. Big fish in a small pond > small fish in the ocean.

3) You flexing here with a daughter AND A real 9-5 job 🤣 

4) I might be wrong about the PLO games because I have no clue what those games are like but this is how I perceive the NLHE games. I will say that you definitely get recreational players including extremely recreational players at every stake.

5) TBF I have no clue how to play PLO so I'm not entirely sure you are competent LMAO. This might be a case of the blind leading the blind here xD. 30K hands isn't a ton so the next 30k hands might be quite different. IDK what the rake situation is like in these games but I have been told that low stakes PLO can be a bit of a rake trap. Having said that I am sure the PLO is significantly softer than the NLHE. Agree about position I think the blinds think its ok to call wide because they are already in for 0.5 or 1 bb but the positional disadvantage is extremely big, especially in SRPs when the SPR is huge.

About 95% of my volume is 50NL-200NL, but when volume is low I might flick in some B20, 10-25 Hexas and Comps 10-250. PLO (50 or 100) is rare, I have months with zero 4 card pokering.

I do not recall ever seeing your SNs but I mostly play quite late at night eg. midnight to 6am London time and very rarely play PLO so we probably just missing each other.

SN: Wizard_ (I was too late for the SN: 'Wizard' 😞)

WRT meta stuff eg. balance / exploit / GTO: put it this way, the only time I balance is when I mix between snap calling and timebank calling with the nuts vs a nitreg (If you slowroll every time it would be boring, once in a while is good).

Some of my metagame thoughts might have to be a one to one convo🤫

6) My primary career plan is to just win the WSOPME and retire xD. Failing that, as poker gets increasingly tough to make a living from I definitely see working for a poker room as being the next logical career step. Thats a really kind offer, It would definitely be interesting to chat. I messaged you on FB (I'm semi surprised we haven't bumped into each other before as I live in North London and was fairly active in the live poker scene here pre covid).

7) Yeah I think this is probably better, might have to play around until you perfect it. Another option is 3 tables and then 25% of the screen for your face and chat.

8 ) 7 minutes 20 seconds 

Run good!

2) agreed, only going to stream stuff that I enjoy doing for sure, but I’ve always liked the community side of replay and am competitive so will join the league (although no shot of winning the spring league now)

4) that’s kind of reassuring me about PLO400 as sometimes there are no games at 200 and loads at 400, so I suspect that’s when the games are good.

5) from what I can tell the rake at PL25 is reasonable now, I know it was something we wanted to improve in my time at Unibet but never managed to.

6) my pleasure, although you’re forcing me to reinstall FB messenger now! Will get back to you ASAP and hopefully we can arrange something.

8 ) thanks, just watched it back and have no idea why I so happily called behind with that trash. It may have been because of the previous table dynamic as I can see a few large stacks but may have also been a brainfart. 

An update - although I do still want to kick off a stream and YouTube channel, I’ve decided that it’s best if I wait a few months to really make a concerted effort.

I’m moving to Denmark in a few months which will mean I’ll need to pause playing for a while until I’ve got Danish ID and can create a new account, and I’ll also have a lot more time at that point to stream consistently. I think I was a bit over-ambitious thinking that I could stream consistently already, life is getting in the way at the moment. Thanks to everyone who watched so far, I’ll update this thread once I’m able to stream consistently again! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yep Copenhagen, plan is to move there in the first week of August. Is that where you’re currently based? 

On 5/3/2023 at 11:42 AM, Stubbe-Unibet said:

Copenhagen? Or where in Denmark will you be moving? 

• 3 months later...