Help me pick a new laptop

WuDu

@testuser1 wrote:

@WuDu, go ahead and click that buy button :) the IPS screen should also be pretty decent, and I personally think the case looks pretty sleek. It’s not the newest model, but who cares about that :)

NB know nothing about that German site, so only recommending the laptop :)

👍 The Lenovo it is then! Don't worry, the site is legit, I bought a 1000 Euro laptop there 10 years ago and everything was fine. If @Livertool's worst lenovo nightmares turn out to be true, I can still send it back within 30 days.

@psrquack

I was also looking at the one you suggested. Do you use a gaming mouse for regular office apps?

We're gonna win on so many levels! We're gonna win, win, win. You're gonna get so tired of winning, you're gonna say: "Mr. President please, we don't wanna win anymore, it's too much!" And I'm gonna say: "I'm sorry, we're gonna keep winning because we're gonna make America great again!"

@WuDu wrote:

. If @Livertool's worst lenovo nightmares turn out to be true, I can still send it back within 30 days.

Hopefully it will turn out fine. Like @testuser1 said, specswise it is good find.

I just don´t ever keep battery attached when i have laptop plugged in to wall and that is probly the first thing that will die in laptop so makes it harder to change if it is even doable on your own. But that is just me and how i roll :D

But interested to hear how good it is eventually, so do share :)

@psrquack wrote:

@WuDu: No, I use a regular product of this company (Trust) and works fine for me.

Right now, I think I like the look of the CHERRY mouse a little better! But at that price it's not a life changing decision...

Do you know whether it's possible to use one of your additional mouse buttons to switch between open programs, e.g. I click and I can switch between Excel and Chrome without having to click the icon?

We're gonna win on so many levels! We're gonna win, win, win. You're gonna get so tired of winning, you're gonna say: "Mr. President please, we don't wanna win anymore, it's too much!" And I'm gonna say: "I'm sorry, we're gonna keep winning because we're gonna make America great again!"

@psrquack

If the Cherry doesn't work out, I will have to cash in your next annual freeroll again! :cash1: Whatever device I'll pick, it'll be definitely an upgrade over my current 3 button Logitech mouse with a wheel that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't and a third button that needs to be pressed extra strong...

Cool link about the mouse buttons, I'll look at that further once the new hardware arrives!

Guys, obviously we weren't the only one determining the value of the Lenovo notebook. It sold out before I could place my order.

KOG0zn

There are 2 options now:

• Buy a slighly cheaper one with the same specs except it has a regular HD (bigger, but no SSD)
  • Play the waiting game for the next few days or weeks

@WuDu

There is new offers every week so no worries.

And that hp is good deal too if what you mentioned is only you are planning to do. That machine beats crap out of mine and it wouldn´t have no problem with those tasks.

Also found these ones if you are ready to strech few more euros to it: https://www.notebooksbilliger.de/notebooks/asus+notebooks/allrounder/asus+vivobook+f705ua+bx121t

https://www.notebooksbilliger.de/notebooks/lenovo+notebooks/lenovo+v320+17ikbr+81cn000lge

@Livertool wrote:

@WuDu

There is new offers every week so no worries.

And that hp is good deal too if what you mentioned is only you are planning to do. That machine beats crap out of mine and it wouldn´t have no problem with those tasks.

Also found these ones if you are ready to strech few more euros to it: https://www.notebooksbilliger.de/notebooks/asus+notebooks/allrounder/asus+vivobook+f705ua+bx121t

https://www.notebooksbilliger.de/notebooks/lenovo+notebooks/lenovo+v320+17ikbr+81cn000lge

Both great finds and I keep my eyes on them, but now it's a matter of principle :Popeye: and I'll wait till they approach 550, especially the "new" Lenovo. 

Purchasing computers is a buyer's market, we'll always get better deals over time...

@Livertool@psrquack@testuser1

So, I just bought the laptop we all agreed on. It was out of stock over the weekend, so I played the waiting game and today exactly the same one for the same price was available again. It'll be shipped on Thursday or Friday, so I will report back once I have it in front of me.

Thanks guys for your help and let's hope for the best! 👍

@psrquack wrote:

@WuDu: congrats that laptop is a schnappchen, but we did the job, so

idNTkyZTViYzVjNjc2Yw==-848d2c0e4e8872757ce51966e74faeda

😃 Let's see for ourselves first what arrives here in a few days before we start celebrating prematurely, like those guys did:tenor

Schnäppchen is the right term for that notebook, however the cooler, more modern term to use in German right now would be "Schnapper" .

@Livertool wrote:

Just keep your bratwurst and nobelaner away from keyboard until you are sure it is keeper. They can be quite fussy if you are going to return it ;)

Nobelaner? You mean Paulaner? My go to beer is alcohol free Erdinger wheat beer, after it rested for 1-2 hours in the freezer! Or a nice, light Tsingtao (when available), a delicious breakfast beer...

OK, the laptop arrived today and I'm absolutely impressed! Great recommendation by @testuser1, it's really fast and really good looking and despite 17 inches, it's rather slim and light. Metallic grey/silver looks pretty slick as well. I have no idea what left overs out of Lenovo hell they tried to sell to @Livertool. Let's see how I'm able to work with it. Especially with the help of @psrquack and his idealo list, it feels like a great Schnapper!

I cannot say too much about the different programs, since I have been busy cracking legally downloading my software. A few minor things:

The notebook only has 2 USB ports. If one is constantly used for your mouse, this is a little stupid, however I can work around it. The notebook speakers are not impressive, however since I watch movies with head-phones, it doesn't matter. 10 years ago, I had built in harman/kardon speakers, and they were pretty good. Finally, the power adapter cable is really short. Again, no problem to find a workaround for that.

All in all, a great buy so far, thanks in part to the unibetcommunity. 👍

@WuDu wrote:

The notebook only has 2 USB ports. If one is constantly used for your mouse, this is a little stupid, however I can work around it.

If this becomes a problem, they do sell splitters and HUB's to get you more USB slots.

Splitters only cost a few bucks.

I have never used one so not sure how well those things work, but probably they are okay.

@WuDu wrote:

@Livertool wrote:

Just keep your bratwurst and nobelaner away from keyboard until you are sure it is keeper. They can be quite fussy if you are going to return it ;)

The notebook only has 2 USB ports. If one is constantly used for your mouse, this is a little stupid, however I can work around it. The notebook speakers are not impressive, however since I watch movies with head-phones, it doesn't matter. 10 years ago, I had built in harman/kardon speakers, and they were pretty good. Finally, the power adapter cable is really short. Again, no problem to find a workaround for that.

@WuDu it actually got three, but the third one is the newer USB-C 3.1. It's a new and better alternative to the old and standard USB-A, and it's getting more and more common. You could, as already mentioned, also get a hub, and it could e.g. be a USB-C to USB-A one, like the one shown below.

USBC-HUB2.png.9917cb590c93656fc1b805c5ac254c8d.png

@Livertool wrote:

nobelaner.png.64bf8bb901370d179c082d7fe9d0edc6.png

Finest dish water Lidl has to offer. Best served pocket warm :D

Next to Lidl, do you have Aldi in Finland as well? They have a dark wheat beer, which I refer to as "Hobo-brew" which tastes really well despite being delivered in plastic containers with a screw cap:882885_KARLSQUELL-Weizen-Weizen-Alkoholfrei_xxl

Still better than anything on the market named Veltins, Krombacher or Warsteiner...:Smile: Try it...

@testuser1If I cash in the fantasy UCL I might think about a USB hub and some portable speakers. I'll get back to you then, so you can tell me what to buy...:Smile:

Just Lidl in here. Tbh i´m not much of beer snob, just drink it for thirst. Ex gf was bartender and hooked me up with about thousand (slightly exaggerated) different beers, some of them good, some bad but nothing to be really excited about.

But it is sin to put beer in plastic bottles even if it is more user friendly to hobos 😏

• 4 weeks later...

When it comes to mouses, personally I have this in use and got nothing but good to say about it 👍👍
https://www.amazon.de/Logitech-910-005197-kabellose-Multi-Device-Bluetooth-Maus/dp/B071VC9998

The buttons are very easily customized with the software than can be dowloaded from Logitech's support-site, and it really is SILENT, in case the clicking noises are starting to sound like Chinese torture for the ears. I know I can't listen normal mouses anymore, and no turning back. Ever. :Annoyed:
It also can be used in two different machines with a click of a button for copy-pasting, for example. @WuDu

Archived