MathrimC's poker journal

MathrimC

Hit the 400 milestone. Results have been pretty rough again over the last 50, with a €100 downswing last weekend. Total profit is at €484,2, ROI at 11,93%.

349818794_20170328SNG10Profit.png.2adb87ad15e9411c6bf46ff5eb05b830.png

1890513038_20170328SNG10Places.png.12e202104f50bff5cdd1352765c16709.png

I've been running bad in bubble spots, but I've also been making a lot of mistakes. I feel like I'm getting lazy, clicking buttons on autopilot too much, and I feel like my postflop game isn't on point anymore, since I'm getting much less practice with postflop spots since I switched from cashgames to SNGs.

I'm going to lower my playing volume in the coming days and spend more time studying:

• I've got an ICMIZER pro licence for a month, so I can practice ICM spots with the quiz
  • I've got over 200 screenshots of interesting spots I've encountered that I can analyse, both push/fold/call spots and postflop decisions
  • Ian Simpson plays SNGs when he's streaming, I'm going to go through some of the VODs and take some notes on interesting SNG hands

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It sounds like you have a good study program. Adding emphasis to the learning process should help prevent you auto-piloting too much. I'm not sure if you can learn much from Simpson's SNG plays though. Every time I tune in, he seems to be making a lemming of himself! :D (Not that I can really criticise. I make tons of mistakes even when I'm one tabling, but I can't use the excuse of trying to keep a rowdy Twitch classroom under control at the same time. Ian is a multitasking boss, but don't assume that all his pushes and calls are standard. Literally everyone except players at the very highest stakes make loads of ICM mistakes. In the Uni SNGs up to at least 50 euros, there are usually villains you can exploit massively instead e.g. by overfolding when they shove, and not shoving too light if they are one of those awful players that limp-calls off 15bb with K2o).

Good luck with your studies, and any games you play this week! (My volume is likely to be even lower than ever, as I'm burned out).

Time for the monthly evaluation. The SNG results were mediocre, but still made profit so no harm done. I got third, and highest community member, in one of the community league tournaments for about €50, and third in the general classification for €150. I do want to spend more time studying this month because, as mentioned earlier, I feel like I could play better, so I'm keeping my volume goal on the low side. I have an ICMIZER Pro licence until 24/04, so I'm going to practice with the SNG Coach.

Evaluation of monthly goals: March 2017

• Play 150 5-man SNGs COMPLETED
    • Won €65,87 over 203 €10 SNGs, for a ROI of 3,2%
  • Play 15 UK Tour qualifiers COMPLETED
    • Ran quite poorly in the qualifiers this month, ticket value went down a bit. Would be useful to track my qualifier results in more detail in the future to see my ROI on each level.
  • Study goals:
    • Finish taking notes on the heads-up ebook FAILED
    • Study 3-betting in SNGs HALFWAY
      • Spent most of my study time this month on ICM spots

February bankroll evolution:

• Cash: €1461,16 -> €1569,9 + €150 not yet received from the community league leaderboard
  • UK Tour tickets: €242 -> €200
  • UO tickets: €60 -> €20

New monthly goals: April 2017

• Play 150 5-man SNGs
  • Play 20 UK Tour qualifiers & make a sheet to start tracking results
  • Study goals
    • Practice 4 hours a week with the SNG coach in ICMizer
    • Finish taking notes on the heads-up ebook
    • Study post-flop SNG spots

Some cool data in here 👍

I probably played with you quite a lot last month in the 10s. I recognize a few of your SN on previous pages. I played vs Bulletproof today thats for sure ;)
Cant remember which alias I was at the time. Probably the new baby avatar whose name was 'FreakyAsFuj'. If not it was either Im-Craaaazzyyyy or SolarStone33.

Anyway I will be following, nice to see SNG content. Good Luck with your goals this month.  :jazzhands:

Not actually Old.

Got my community league payout today, bringing my bankroll to €1800. This means I've made more profit in the past two months than in the whole of 2016 😃

I've also been running good in the UK Tour qualifiers the past few days, ticketroll up to €300 including 2 final tickets.

Seems like there is a strong correlation between my UK Tour bankroll growth and the absence of pinguins. I've been on fire the past few days, winning 4 of my last 8 €4 qualifiers and 2 of my last 3 €25 qualifiers. UK Tour ticketroll is at €400 now. I'll probably play a final on Sunday.

Lasted 21 minutes in today's UK Tour final, before good old KK lived up to it's name again.

1620961607_2017-04-0920_27_31-.png.44dbc5854e15de0a08271456095a8cb9.png

I'll probably play another final next weekend.

And good to see the Belgian Championship is back this year. I'll definitely try to qualify this time.

Things are not going well in the SNGs lately, I'm down €68 over the last 200. ROI is still at 10,48% though, hope to maintain that and get an upwards profit graph again from now on. 

969742191_20170411SNG10Profit.png.32dc0524758b02c503a4246598d2ddf8.png978933346_20170411SNG10Places.png.98975b9d82ca73880bb2e5fc1b0e6802.png

My volume is slowing down because of multiple reasons. Firstly, as stated earlier, I'd like to study a bit more. Secondly, the Belgian Championship qualifiers have started while I'm also increasing my UK Tour volume to qualify for Glasgow. Thirdly there's been the cycling classics on tv, which also motivated me to install Pro Cycling Manager again. But no worries, I'm still on schedule for my monthly volume goal and once I feel more confident in my game I'll come back to the SNGs in full force.

As for the qualifiers, I've busted 6 Belgian Championship qualifiers so far. But I'm still running golden in the UK Tour qualifiers: won 7 of the 19 UK4 qualifiers and 3 of the 5 UK25 qualifiers I've played so far this month. My ticket value is at €378.

1576829612_image(1).png.29af72492033a42b9c5279a5b297d7bc.png

RNGesus really hates me lately. Since my last SNG update, I bubbled 11 out of 24 SNGs and the ROI dropped below 10. Also busted all my €4 Belgian qualifiers today and busted a UK Tour final.

Tough times, but all would be made up if I just win one of those UK Tour finals in the coming weeks to go to Glasgow.

@GotWhatItTakes wrote:

Good luck with the UK Tour finals, mate! 

I will jump in the UK tour pool soon, so there is one fish more you can get chips from 🤣

I have one question, how do you create your cool graphics? Is there an online tool to do so? 😃

I've made google spreadsheets that create the graphs: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Q6EsZPBVZrWvAhxmswrdBZDps3aDgcNSTJrRbAmbCck

You can use them too if you copy the file to your own google drive. Then make a copy of the sheet for each SNG and qualifier stake you play. You need to fill out the green cells: for each tournament you can fill in date, time, finishing place and number of places paid in case of a qualifier. The graphs update instantly. You don't need to track date and time, they only serve for the additional graphs, the normal ROI and finishing place graphs still update without it. If you select a graph, you can click the little arrow in the upper right corner of the graph and download it as an image.

Hit SNG number 500, and things are not improving. I'm running really bad on the bubble lately. Here's my finishing place distribution for the last 80 SNGs:

2105994368_20170421SNG10recentplaces.png.78352ec688d1b2ae6f10277b72662875.png

I'm down €41 since the last update, ROI dropped to 8,62%.

363550966_20170421SNG10Profit.png.c39c30876b43e350cf123a98d6681bcf.png

141338887_20170421SNG10Places.png.5251eeb4ef77e0c9d1f4cad5f1812276.png

Meanwhile, things are not really improving in the Belgian Championship qualifiers. Won once, but lost it all again.

695811878_20170421BC4Profit.png.657d1726c0519941db46c5477fc837f9.png

This is the longest poker downswing I've had so far, and it really makes me question my abilities. I'm planning on recording a session to review and maybe share with some people.

@MathrimC wrote:

This is the longest poker downswing I've had so far, and it really makes me question my abilities. I'm planning on recording a session to review and maybe share with some people.

Over 80 SNGs variance can easily cloud your mind – making you think you play worse than you actually do. However, I have no idea what you are doing at the tables but your work ethic seems great and the few ICM spots we discussed in this thread you always had the right thing in mind.

Also: Downswings shouldn’t cause you questioning your abilities. Leaks and mistakes should cause that. It’s still very possible that you are one of the best players on your limit. In the end, you are the only one who knows if you played your best A game most if not all the time or if you tilted away stacks in several SNGs. Obviously it’s a good idea to do a session review when you run bad – by the way, you should always do that, even when you are running exceptionally well.

I busted another UK Tour final on Saturday. My UK ticketroll is at €250 now, I will play another final next weekend, probably my last chance for Glasgow.

The good news: I've hit the rungood in the Belgian qualifiers. Cashed 3 €4, one €10 last chance and one €20 qualifier in the past 3 days, giving me a ticket roll of €216, so no more cash buy-ins needed. I might try my first final next week.

708339664_image(10).png.f35c546ea730b15379d53ebb380412d7.png

I've spent quite some time in ICMizer the past few days, because I had a pro licence until yesterday.  Other than that, I've spent way too many hours playing Pro Cycling Manager the past few days :Geek:

One thing, that'll would like to ask,  has your own success affected your play? Like if you are used to get some profits, and you get too familiar with it.
And then it starts to suck. You don't do so many risks anymore, you start to think that it's all figured out 😃
Just asking, that data is awesome!

Archived