MathrimC's poker journal

MathrimC

I cashed in the double trouble yesterday. It was a great sweat, I had 1/8th of a bb left when the bubble burst and would have been forced all-in in the next hand. Also won a bit at the cash tables, to get the bankroll up to €952.83, an all-time high and the 1K milestone is coming closer 😃

Busted a few UK Tour qualifiers, my UK Tour ticket value is down to €291. I'll probably play another final this Sunday.

Also won a €10 UO ticket from @VikingsAF giveaway last month and a €10 & €2 UO ticket from the around the world promo. Won the first €10 qualifier I played, converted the €50 ticket down again and busted the three €10 qualifiers I played since then. My UO ticket value is now at €32.

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@NeriPoker wrote:

How do you find doing hand analysis with the Unibet client not allowing HUDs? Any methods you can recommend.

I have notepad open behind/next to my tables and note the time and starting hand (maybe position and what street I found interesting) of interesting or difficult hands. After the session, or during a break, I search those hands in the hand history and take a screenshot (unfortunatelly with the aspect ratio of the new client two screenshots are needed to capture the whole hand), and save it in a hand history folder. Afterwards, when I feel like studying, I review those, mostly using flopzilla to range opponents and/or estimate how ranges hit flops, or I post them to forums. It's also good to keep them for months, and then months later go back to an old hand and evaluate. Since you forgot all about it, it feels like you're evaluating someone else his hand, and it gives you a fresh view on it. It's also a good way to see how you've evolved as a player. Note that the hand history page only shows your most recent 500 hands, which is just under 1 hour when 6-tabling. If I take a break fast enough, within 15 minutes after the hand, I sometimes make a video of the hand history replay using OBS (like the videos I've shared in this topic). Sounds like a lot of work, but the screenshots have become very routine, and once OBS is set up the video's also don't even take 1 minute to record.

Also, I sometimes sort my history on biggest losing pots after a session, to look at those hands. Ofcourse losing doesn't guarantee you played them bad, but it's worth looking at.

I do miss being able to search for leaks in a hand history database. Instead, I guesstimate what my leaks are, and/or read about what common leaks for players like me are, and pay special attention when that kind of situation arises and analyse some of those hands to evaluate if I'm making the right decisions.

I forgot to mention that I also sometimes record a session of 3 or 4 tables for about half an hour to watch back and review later or share online.

I'm thinking about finding a skype buddy to review our gametapes together, just one hour every week or every two weeks. Good to have a different view, and good to force a study schedule on myself.

Things are stagnating again at the cashtables, bankroll at €948,87. My UO ticket value is at €50, my UK ticket value is down to €254, having a bad run in them the last few days. Wasn't able to play a final last weekend, but will play one or two on Saturday and/or Sunday next weekend.

I'm getting really exited for my SNG tryout next month. I started reading up on heads-up and sit-n-go strategy and I'm really enjoying it. Especially studying heads-up strategy is fun because I'm so clueless in it that the speed at which I'm improving by studying is huge.

@NeriPoker wrote:

Well done Mathrim!

What's your system for breaking down tickets these days?

I allow myself to play a level above the €4 one if I have at least €50 left after paying the buy-in. In reality this means I mostly convert €25 back down, if my roll is under €75, but I rarely convert €100 back down, because if I win a 100 I have at least 150 in total value so I'm allowed to play a final. This approach allowed me to play 4 or 5 finals in the last 2 months.

I'm a bankroll nit, so the system I'm using is to only take shots at the bigger buyins if I have 5x the BI in my "roll".
For instance, I want to have 125 in tickets to play the 25s and I need 500-worth of tickets before playing the 100eu game. (I currently have about 450eu in UK tickets, and slightly more for UO). This system basically means I'll never go busto, because if I brick my first shot at the 100, I'll still have 400 in my roll, and I can convert one of the 100s into 4x25 and rebuild. (I think my worst downswing is 6 games, so there's still a small chance of getting crushed, but I nearly always win at least one in five to break even).
The only problem with my system is that it might mean I never actually qualify for anything (or at least not any time soon), as I kind of need to bink with the first shot at a higher buyin, or I'm back in rebuild mode. #RiskAversePenguin.
On the positive side, if I manage to qualify soon, then I'll still have a ton of tickets for the next one so there will be no pressure in the future. I'm reluctant to take several shots at the final if I can't "afford" it, as it's taken so long to build the roll in the first place... and a big downswing would ruin my lovely graphs!

I often thought about whether to grind the lower levels more before playing finals. I'm also a bankroll nit, when it comes to games with normal cash payouts, for which the whole point is to build the bankroll. But in these qualifier structures, the goal is simply to get a seat as fast as possible, the bankroll is only a means to get a seat. That's why I choose playing more finals above building my roll. As long as I don't go below €50, I don't really risk going broke on the €4 level. My graph of the last two months would look insane, I went from 50 to 300 to 50 to 200 etc, but I was able to play 5 finals and bink 1 package, without risking to go broke, while my banroll was at no point stricktly sustainable for that buy-in level.

When judging your real sustainability to play the final in a qualifier structure, you not only have to consider your current bankroll value, but also the time it would take you reach that step again. For example, even if my value now is only enough to play 1 final, I know that I'll likely have another €100 in two weeks to play another final, and playing a final every two weeks should be enough to win a few seats throughout the year, in a very time-efficient way.

I keep losing at 10NL this month, bankroll at €917,90 now. But it's just the universe balancing my UK Tour rungood, besides winning a package I also won 2 new €100 tickets. My UK Tour ticket value is at €308 now, so I'll play two more finals next month.

On the study front, things have been going well, I read the HU ebook and played some HU sngs to practice the ranges. I also started reading Sit 'n Go Strategy by Colling Moshman, and I'm taking it with me on holiday and hope to read at least half of it.

Saturday I'm leaving for Vietnam until 01/02, so I probably won't play any poker for the rest of the month. I might visit the community every now and then, but not sure if I'll post much, since I don't like typing much on my smartphone. Once I get back, I'm going to start playing sngs.

Archived