Dennis´ Poker Blog

Dennis_

Hi Dennis. Have you considered that playing your normal style and shoving ICM approved ranges is a mistake at the limits your playing. The Q8s hand for example you could easily find a limp and play post. When opponent's make big ICM call mistakes, which they will in abundance at those stakes, it affects the ev of both players in the hand negatively even if you played it properly. Play more exploitatively.

• Like 4

40€ profit at the tables, thereby bringing the roll slightly above 300€. I can live with that. The cashgameticket has dropped to 10.57€ unfortunately, mainly through folding but also through losing some medium sized pots. Anyway it's still higher than it's original value.

Some hands:

ntthdth.png.ac8a6f8b8bc741d0d4638e9e625f8a0c.pngfhnnfh.png.7c02a9e606484f2365a00ecf4cab6fe3.png

• Like 5

Hope you don't base your sessions quality on the monetary outcome lol? I often still have that feeling that when I have a losing session it feels like I've played crap and vice versa. But I'm doing a better job nowadays in kinda blocking this out and look at my session more objectively. Hands are simply not always going your way and that's out of your control.

• Like 1

@P0kerM0nk 

Never had that problem with single sessions, but certainly with weeks/months of doing worse than I would like to.

The main fear that I have is that I am either not good enough to make more money at 4s or that the stakes are simply too low to make more and I should move up again, but would then obviously face stronger opposition again and face worse swings. 

• Like 1

A reason why the new system would probably help us a bit more in showing us some stats, too bad it has been postponed as I'm also interested to see some stats on myself as it's hard to judge whether I'm doing ok or if I have been kidding myself all along 🤣

• Like 2

@Dennis__  the new loyalty system, should have added the word loyalty lol. The challenges will disappear and they will add some features to see your own play stats (more or less). Was meant to launch 1st of April with the 2nd quarter but has been postponed.

https://www.unibetcommunity.com/t5/General-Poker/New-poker-loyalty-system-1st-of-April-First-official-details/td-p/372327

• Like 1

thanks @P0kerM0nk 

really miserable session today. Started with KK<AA, then another pair<pair, then I get TT in vs 33 (where villain shouldn't have stacked off) and the flop shows a 3. Almost quit there immediately. 18€ loss. Many suckouts, especially annoying as the neckbreak usually happened on the river. Some hands:

njtzfjzn4.png.334f6d0f0d2778e4c482784c413183e8.pngnzjtntz.png.49d53561b53abe3be14d40c2fe8e3384.pngfnnf.png.9d19d2a2d430e004fb8efa254e1707a3.pngrnhtnrth.png.1769c6ea7261469f01d06a16268e7ab0.png

• Like 1

@Dennis__ sessions where you keep losing with valid hands / flips are very annoying. And I understand the inner rage as I feel it myself when running like that but you let it get to you too much. It has a lot to do with acceptance like KK vs AA there isn't actually anything to be said as it's a standard hand. Yes it stinks when you get KK 5 times and villain shows up with AA every single time but it is what it is. Like the session I had on RIO a while back where I lost with AA 3 times in a row pre and post flop when having the best equity. It didn't really tilt me at all as I just accepted it as what it was. Of course this doesn't make it less annoying for sure.

About the pictures, think there are some migration issues as they are doing something with this forum as well (not sure what tbh) and I have reported this bug but no official comment on it so far.

• Like 2

Unusual session today, the first two games that finished were both 1st places, very unusual. I ran quite well for a while, being about 50€ or so up at some point but things worsened a bit and when I decided to finish my session my luck turned completely against me. Got one 1st and one 2nd place and busted everything else, that's a 30€ drop. At the end of the day I made 2€ and 500 bonus points. Not satisfied at all.

• Like 2

Sigh. Another day and again a few euros gone. I made a quick calculation and since starting with the 4€ games here I have made <4€ per hour, which should be around 5% ROI. Pretty bad for such low stakes. I hope this is bad run and not my real expectation. Anyway, moving up would be pointless with such a bad winrate at micros. Won't be thinking about anyway before the court hearing. Still hoping for a proper winning session.

• Like 1

@Dennis__ 

But what if you're not good enough? The SNG4 level here is not really that competitive to be honest. I personally think it's better to treat Poker as a hobby and be happy if you can make some "additional" money out of it. That would also give you the luxury of taking breaks from time to time, playing other forms of poker or spending some weeks on learning and changing your playing style.

Alternatively, you might want to take a break from the SNGs until the court case has been settled. Let's say you win and even if @Brocky only pays it off in monthly rates of 10 Euros ( :laugh: )  that would give you some peace of mind, I'd assume.  Maybe you have some Unibet Open tickets left, why not play them for the next few weeks?

• Like 2
We're gonna win on so many levels! We're gonna win, win, win. You're gonna get so tired of winning, you're gonna say: "Mr. President please, we don't wanna win anymore, it's too much!" And I'm gonna say: "I'm sorry, we're gonna keep winning because we're gonna make America great again!"

@WuDu 

it's possible that I am not good enough, but these results seem worse than I would rate myself. I guess time will tell.

With the playing for a living thing, I don't really like playing poker for a living that much but I hate working a random job only because of the money even more. I am constantly revising my options, but until I find something sensible that actually suits me I will stick with poker.

You do realize volume needs to be 60+ games a day for 20-25 days a month plus study time and still at the 4eu stake if you have the ROI under 7.5 you risk not to make even minimum wage in some countries. So is it worth it to struggle in poker when you can make more money in some random job that maybe you don't like it but is not as stressful. In my opinion it would be more +EV to get a random job for 3-6 months and in that time get better at the game and move in stakes and see what the numbers say after that. Or change formant, MTT/Cash?

• Like 1

I do realize that it is very tough to make enough money on these low stakes. That is why I should probably move back up eventually but without better results at 4s that could potentially be even worse.

I have worked in normal jobs for 5 years. All I can say is that I would rather not exist that work fulltime in a job I hate. In my opinion it's a way to waste one's life. Don't know about parttime but I guess the work still has to be somewhat enjoyable to make it worthwhile.

• Like 2

You certainly had some bad beats there.

Totally agree, at least if you ain't got others mouth to feed than yourself, not worth doing job you don't like at all. Besides, there are probly lot of peeps that would like to do those jobs.

But there is caution also, you don't want to end up being dude whining about your mental health and hustling money in forums just because you run out of your own money  playing poker and "bank wants high interests" and then playing victim.

"Easy" way is to work for steady income but if you choose to be your own master better to be sure your head is up to it, can go south very easily.

My career advice would be that go for politics. Good income and all the time in the world to play poker with it and you don't even have to know anything :puking:

• Like 2

@Dennis__ wrote:

@WuDu 

it's possible that I am not good enough, but these results seem worse than I would rate myself. I guess time will tell.

With the playing for a living thing, I don't really like playing poker for a living that much but I hate working a random job only because of the money even more. I am constantly revising my options, but until I find something sensible that actually suits me I will stick with poker.

Fair enough, bro!

However if you cannot beat the games at poker, then you have to evaluate other avenues, in my opinion. That doesn't mean you should stop playing totally...

@FreedoM made a smart comment. As long as you're not living in gypsy country in rural Romania where you're king of the hill with 200 Euro income per year, you'll need a certain amount of daily profit: ROI * SNGs played * Buy-In. Playing the SNG4s for a living is impossible as you would need to heavily increase the # of SNGs played per day. But what happens then (except from burning yourself out)? Your ROI drops as well! Now with a dropping ROI, you'll need to increase the amount of SNGs again, which then leads to a dropping ROI and so on.

If you make 4 bucks an hour with 5 % ROI, you must be playing 12 SNGs at the same time. :speechless: Do you really believe your marginal ROI for SNG 7-12 is still positive? I don't think so. So the more you play, the more you lose! In case you're interested, I'll probably update my poker blog here within the next few weeks, where I can show a correlation between results and the situation of games played. 

Like @Livertool said, not wanting to be a wage cuck is understandable. But is playing a huge amount of low level SNGs so much better? Like some Ukrainian grinders sitting in a public library playing 100s of 1 Euro SNGs a day to make 10 Euros including rakeback? :atisfied:

If I were you, I'd drastically reduce the amount of tables played, then check the results. If your ROI moves up again, move on to the 10s and check your results with a limited number of tables over there. If your ROI stays the same at the SNG4s, treat poker as a hobby. You don't want to end up being a mess like @Brocky in the end. 

• Like 3
We're gonna win on so many levels! We're gonna win, win, win. You're gonna get so tired of winning, you're gonna say: "Mr. President please, we don't wanna win anymore, it's too much!" And I'm gonna say: "I'm sorry, we're gonna keep winning because we're gonna make America great again!"