Dennis´ Poker Blog

Dennis_

As I´ve been following a coule of blogs here with great interest I decided to create my own.

About me: I am a 21-year old former Soldier from Germany, now living in Northwest Wales. I "went pro" last December. My main game is...chess, but as I am too weak to make money with it, here I am trying to make a living playing HU and 5 Max SNGs. I am playing the 10€ limit at the moment and am looking to move up once I hit a 1000 games sample in both variants.

• Like 12

I don´t understand Poker. Despite feeling like a sick heater todays session actually saw my ROI decrease a bit...Anyway, here are some results from the 10€s:

Games played: 560

1st: 135

2nd: 111

3rd: 137

4th: 108

5th: 69

ROI: 7,7%

I also played some 25€s. They still seem to be quite soft but don´t run too frequently. In any case I will finish 1000 games on the 10€s befor moving up 

• Like 5

There are quite a few regs on the 10s but there are still lots of Recs as well. On the 25s it seems there is one big Rec and three solid players on every table, although I am sure some of the latter ones can be beaten as well. Hard to say though as I haven´t played many of them yet

• Like 2

Sat on the tables today for half an hour wondering why the action wasn´t taking of just to realize that I was sitting the 25€s, not the intended 10€s...Just stupid

However, the action on the 10€s broke down to <15 players shortly after, causing an early end to my session. Here is the last hand I played:

1235748688_Screenshot(386).thumb.png.3a38ce59818971db21295c591e4822ec.pngAllin preflop

Gonna hit the HU tables now

• Like 2

Rather nasty session today. Lost twice to a 2 outer on the river, lost with the nut straight against the nutstraight turning a backdoorflush. Didn´t flip well either. ROI went down to 5,6% after 733 games. However I played some 25€s as well with better success. What is more is that the games seemed incredibly soft. I could count as many as three recreationals on one of the 25€ tables. I am going to skip HU today because I played an extra long session today of 5 hours

• Like 3

Better session today. The ROI went up to 7% again after 820 games. I sat the 50€s today and actually got a game after 4 hours :) Finished 2nd. It´s hard to say how soft the field was as the table was pretty tight and didn´t get to showdown very often. Nevertheless I think I did spot a recreational after all.

• Like 3

I decided to make the 25€s my standard level today, filling up with 10€s if there isn´t enough action. I did get a 50/50 split of the games today. I ran insanely hot on both levels despite bubbling the last three games. My ROI on 10€ is now 8,4% after 844 games.

I sat the 50€s and 100€s as well but didn´t get any games:geek:

• Like 3

I got on the wrong side of variance again today but I am overall satisfied with my play. My 10€ ROI dropped to 7,1% after 896 games. I got destroyed on the 25€s but play seemed soft enough to not really worry.

Just as I was about to finish my session a few "highstakes" games aka 50€ and 100€ kicked off. I took two first places in the 50€s and one bust on both limits. I think I spotted a few mistakes but can´t say if I beat those limits yet, of course.

It would be great if these games would run at least semi-frequently. 25€ as the highest stake is a bit sad in my opinion.

• Like 4

I quit today´s session early as there were hardly any games running beyond 10€. Said limit ran fairly well. My ROI after 943 games is 7,6%. In contrast to that I don´t think I cashed once in the few 25€s that ran today :( making it a massive losing session.

I got my fair share of suckouts, so I am not too concerned with my play (yet).

I will be making up for the missed time with a short Headsup session later

• Like 3

Another early quit for the same reasons as yesterday. Pretty much everything that could go wrong went wrong. All my Bluff 3-bets got 4bet, all my postflop bluffs got called down. I lost every significant Allin. When I was down to 1 BB I won the next 8 Allins and still bubbled. I busted several times going into the bubble as the bigstack...

I am overexaggerating a little bit of course. I thought my mindset was strong but it is in fact rather horrible. Definitely something I have to work on. I think the main problem is that I have no data from the past confirming that I am a winning player on the 25€s, leaving me with the theoretical possibility of beeing a losing player. Given the fact that I have spottet some leaks in even some of the reg´s game I don´t really think that but I have been wrong about this sort of thing in the past.

• Like 8

@Dennis_ wrote:

Another early quit for the same reasons as yesterday. Pretty much everything that could go wrong went wrong. All my Bluff 3-bets got 4bet, all my postflop bluffs got called down. I lost every significant Allin. When I was down to 1 BB I won the next 8 Allins and still bubbled. I busted several times going into the bubble as the bigstack...

I am overexaggerating a little bit of course. I thought my mindset was strong but it is in fact rather horrible. Definitely something I have to work on. I think the main problem is that I have no data from the past confirming that I am a winning player on the 25€s, leaving me with the theoretical possibility of beeing a losing player. Given the fact that I have spottet some leaks in even some of the reg´s game I don´t really think that but I have been wrong about this sort of thing in the past.

They're literally the worst sessions because you feel so helpless.  How many €25 5 mans do you reckon run per evening that have at least 1 rec in?  I've played a fair few of them before but I always get bored waiting for 9 tables to fill up so always just move my action elsewhere.

• Like 2

Not a great day again. Lost at a similar rate as yesterday on the 25€s. Total ROI is something like -7,5% after 111 games.

10€s were a bit better. Total ROI there is 7,3% after 1005 games.

In any case I am satisfied with my play. 

@Brocky I typically get 2 to 6 tables running simultaneously and fill the rest up with 10€s. In the long run I want to leave the 10€s behind for good though. I might fill up with HU or PLO then but first of all I have to stand through the current events. It´s hard to say how soft the tables are exactly due to the possibility of name change but I would assume that few tables kick off with less than two recreationals (25€s). I am pretty sure that the regs can be beaten beyong rake aswell.

• Like 1

Good luck and hopefully you can turn the downswing around! I would imagine at stakes like that where edges are small having a good mindset and feeling sharp can even make the difference between playing +EV and playing -EV? Especially at something as tilting as Sit n Goes :laugh:

• Like 1