Blog: Grind on the mind

SkilfulPoker

OK the restarts here, at no additional cost, thanks to the Double Trouble Cash (didn't cash the super so am not super rich... but 10 stacks feels pretty good right now!) challenge starts here.

I need a plan to make this happen. It is simple and as follows: -

I can play: -

• 4NL nothing above 4nl cash until I have at least 150 euros.
  • Any other MTT or qualifier or SNG that I deem to be good value as long as it's not more than 5% of my bankroll.

In order to become the best at something you need to focus on it, so I'm going to focus mainly on cash.

Will update about once a day.

Starting Bankroll

br.png.bcff873dcf92767c7b06d2f714368e17.png

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oh dear my 4nl-25nl challenge lasted a day! (will leave the challenge page until i return to it, which i may do in the future) I foolishly decided to pursue the monthly rewards alongside my challenge... one of the challenges this month was to play Omaha... well i lost a stack then ended up losing all of my stacks at Omaha!

So just some fun for the time being, going to have a little go at running my remaining 0.30c

Starting with a bet... on some basketball...

Plan is to get cashier to 1 euro, then play a 5man 1 euro sng and take things from there

bet.thumb.png.1d63795bf9ef023d81564d91a31c2e45.png

I have Maccabi Tel Aviv for a potential payout of... £0.65

Poor you. :-(

PLO is the crazy brother of NLH, so swingy and huge pots develop quickly even if it is a pot limit game.

You should never get involved postflop with a hand that isn´t close to the nuts. 

What is funny about the missions, is that I often lose more money trying to accomplish a mission than the actual reward is worth. 🤣

I hope you will get back on pace soon, ever thought about MTTs? You could start on 1€ level and move your way up from there. 

Best of luck with your bets, mate! :-) :Cash:

NO MORE HALF-MEASURES.

@GotWhatItTakes wrote:

Poor you. :-(

PLO is the crazy brother of NLH, so swingy and huge pots develop quickly even if it is a pot limit game.

You should never get involved postflop with a hand that isn´t close to the nuts. 

What is funny about the missions, is that I often lose more money trying to accomplish a mission than the actual reward is worth. 🤣

I hope you will get back on pace soon, ever thought about MTTs? You could start on 1€ level and move your way up from there. 

Best of luck with your bets, mate! :-) :Cash:

ha yes it seems like easy money but is wiping me out the last few months! Good news for omaha players us fish heading into their waters i guess!

nice idea about mtts man, i'm trying to not deposit right now, so am taking the foot off the pedal a little.

Have the community freeroll to look forward to tonight which should be fun, and on next Tuesday I have a ticket to bouth double troubles so hopefully will pull something out of the bag there.

Next time I'm ignoring the challenges for sure!

Just deposited 180 euros, going to try to build this up this time, but am going to hold fire on starting another challenge thread until i've been working with this bankroll for a couple of weeks and it looks like i have some momentum going. But going to use my blog here to just track progress.

Mostly going to be playing some sngs, also going to start trying to get into the Sunday entitleds and to earn a UO ticket.

brolls.png.20f00386611820e06d322590fa63c08f.png

Good luck this time mate. Hope you run super hot. Also, reply in the giveaway thread with what prize you want. Youre a winner 😃

I debate
Should I smile like everything's good and pretend that life is great
Or should I let the world see the real me and not hide this pain
I tried to be like the rest of y'all, sorry I just can't
I'ma probably die this way

thanks magicadil nice, had missed that!

wow i can be such a degen most of the time... not only did i lose my 180 but i proceeded to lose a further 240. I have taken the prudent step of now setting my deposit limit to 20 euros.  :lovekiss:

I have a cunning plan to recover my losses... yes it does involve another bet, but we are not out of control, i have decided this is my last wager / bet /deposit of the month, unless it cashes, but damn if this doesnt win it's going to be a very quite month of poker!

You can check out my pick over in the betting tips thread (word of warning, i think i've lost  the last 9/10  bets :D )

Hey man, i hope your latest bet works out for you! I have read through all your posts in this thread by now and wanted to share a couple of tips.

First of all, you constantly seem to be facing an uphill battle, with the uphill representing yourself. It seems like the disciplinary bit of the bankroll management is hurting your roll overall. I think it is great that you are trying to look at the management part a bit more conservatively so dont get me wrong! :)

A tip is really digging in into what you think is the most fun game and what game you are best at. Choose one or a maximum of two games. Get a proper bankroll for the limit you start playing. If you want to play 4NL you should have like atleast 80€ behind in your roll. (If you notice you are crushing the 4NL a little less could be suitable). 

Then take it from there and dont be scared to be overrolled a while for the games. Like 60BI for a cashgame if you are multitabling is not too strange. Then when time comes, move up a stake and take a "shot" at it. If you start losing 5-10BI pretty quickly then move down to the stake you were winning at and then repeat this  until you start winning at the stake you are shooting at. 

Just a little thought of mine on your thread so far. Anyway great job fighting out there and good luck in future grind! 

Cheers :)

@SkilfulPoker wrote:

Just deposited 180 euros, going to try to build this up this time, but am going to hold fire on starting another challenge thread until i've been working with this bankroll for a couple of weeks and it looks like i have some momentum going. But going to use my blog here to just track progress.

Mostly going to be playing some sngs, also going to start trying to get into the Sunday entitleds and to earn a UO ticket.

Good luck @SkilfulPokerI’ll keep my fingers crossed. 👍

@tomek009966 wrote:

@SkilfulPoker wrote:

Good luck @SkilfulPokerI’ll keep my fingers crossed. 👍

thanks mate it lost, and so did the next 240 i chased it with... but in other news the snooker tip i posted in the betting tips came in, which meant i was about even which is nice

in other exciting news, i've spent far too much on alcohol the past week ; but also satted into the 888 £880 mtt for £100 so pretty decent it's a live mtt with a 200k guarantee... will keep you posted!

@AmongCats wrote:

Hey man, i hope your latest bet works out for you! I have read through all your posts in this thread by now and wanted to share a couple of tips.

First of all, you constantly seem to be facing an uphill battle, with the uphill representing yourself. It seems like the disciplinary bit of the bankroll management is hurting your roll overall. I think it is great that you are trying to look at the management part a bit more conservatively so dont get me wrong! :)

A tip is really digging in into what you think is the most fun game and what game you are best at. Choose one or a maximum of two games. Get a proper bankroll for the limit you start playing. If you want to play 4NL you should have like atleast 80€ behind in your roll. (If you notice you are crushing the 4NL a little less could be suitable). 

Then take it from there and dont be scared to be overrolled a while for the games. Like 60BI for a cashgame if you are multitabling is not too strange. Then when time comes, move up a stake and take a "shot" at it. If you start losing 5-10BI pretty quickly then move down to the stake you were winning at and then repeat this  until you start winning at the stake you are shooting at. 

Just a little thought of mine on your thread so far. Anyway great job fighting out there and good luck in future grind! 

Cheers :)

thanks mate great advice

Thanks mate i busted 6 hours into it.

I had been not making much happen the whole 6 hours... and ended up with 60bbs left which was a fair bit below average and about the starting stack from 6 hours ago.

For this reason I guess I made a preflop mistake, but the rest is ok i think.

UTG who had been fairly fit/fold ABC raised utg to 3bbs, it folds to me on the button, and i have T7s

of course usually i would fold T7s to an utg raise, but i felt i might be able to out play the player post flop ; and also if i hit a big hand, as they are likely to have a good hand, it will be hard for them to get away from it for 60bbs... also in my thinking was the blinds were loose and would likely call increasing my implied odds and i would have position on everyone except utg raiser.

anyway i call for 3bbs with ~57bbs left, and the Big blind calls also so we go to a flop 3 handed...

Flop is TT5 (rainbow)

UTG cbets 3/4 pot ; I flat call with trips on the button, and the blind folds.

So we are headsup to the turn ; turn is a King

TT5K

UTG checks, i bet half pot, and UTG c/raises me....

now it does cross my mind that he has Kings in his UTG opening range... but he might also be betting aces or AK etc for value, thinking his check was trapping me (i had been active and betting alot of pots when checked to).

So I call the small c/raise...

by now there are 60bbs in the pot and i have 30bbs behind...

River is a 5... so the board is now

TT5K5 and i have T7

he puts me all in on the river.

I hate the spot, i think he might have KK, but i also consider he might have a 5, and think he's value betting me, i think it's unlikely he's got a T, and K5 isn't in his UTG opening range.

I think in this spot he's really pretty polarized to KK exactly, or a bluff.

As there's only one exact hand i put him on that is beating me and given i was getting 3:1 on the river i elect to call and sure as sure, he has KK.

I think preflop was loose but not terrible with position and seeking to make something happen.

I think postflop when i started the hand with 60bbs i couldnt really get away from the hand.

Was a painful exit, but oh well.

Plenty of time for reflecting on the night bus(es) on the way home.

A few things i've decided on.

I'm not going to drink any more alcohol until i've saved £5k which will likely take me about 6-7 months.

I'm not going to deposit more than £20 a month playing poker, until i have saved £5k.

It's going to be a quite few months, but it's time to make some things happen and for that i need a bit of a financial cushion, dont want to continue playing when i really could do with winning instead of being able to just shrug things off :)

I tipped my half bottle of rum down the sink when i got home , which while it did seem wasteful, does feel kind of nicely symbolic to start the 5-6 months without any alcohol.

i have 2 sets (and maybe 3 as 1 set went missing, i asked Unibet to check into) of double trouble tickets, - the double trouble and super double trouble, so will have some nice games to play for the next few tuesdays ; and also i have 10 1 euro sng tickets from magicdills promo i can play with, and a 4 euro unibet open ticket, so some mileage in my account still even though i have decided not to deposit again for about 4 weeks (and then only max 20 a month).

Will keep the blog updated ; interesting to hear what you think about that hand also ; i dont think i can ever fold when i started the hand with 60bbs can i? Even if i do consider there is some possibity he might hold KK ?

I would have called on the button with T7s although you said UTG was tight, so it's a 50/50 spot. Calling or folding are both correct.

BOOM! Perfect flop for you. Flat calling here is the right play. At this point with the knowledge we have about opponent we can put him on: AA,KK,QQ,JJ,AK (All of which we are beating).

The turn is a fairly scary card but that only puts 1 hand ahead of ours. When he checks to us it looks like JJ,QQ but when he check raises it feels like Either Aces or Kings. (Almost never A,K as he would most likely flat call)

The river is a game over. At this point there's really no way you can fold as really only one hand beats you.

I think you played the hand perfectly, just a brutal run out. It must really suck seeing that flop and thinking 'My luck has finally turned' Only to find out he got you on the turn.

The only way out of this hand was preflop.

I debate
Should I smile like everything's good and pretend that life is great
Or should I let the world see the real me and not hide this pain
I tried to be like the rest of y'all, sorry I just can't
I'ma probably die this way

Just starting my sng camapign with the 10 sng tickets from magicdil promo going to just play a few games a night next few days as have family down but next week will up volume, will update soon with how the 10 tickets went and if we ended in proifit or at least ended with some bankroll :D

Hey all, quick update, my ten 1 euro tickets met a timely demise, but played pretty well which I'm pleased with.

Yesterday was double trouble day , and I entered both double trouble and super double trouble.

In double trouble I played until 10bbs then shoved wide and got called, my shove was fairly wide but on average with 10bbs in double trouble i think it's fine (there were still over 200 players left)

In super double trouble I got it in with KK vs AA pf and didnt suck out :speechless:

I'll be playing in some qualifiers soon to try to get to Bucharest thanks to Unibet's kind community qualifiers recently announced https://www.unibetcommunity.com/t5/Community-Promotions/Superuser-qualifier-for-Unibet-Open/td-p/40920/jump-to/first-unread-message how awesome of Unibet to provide the opportunity.  :Inlove:

As I didn't cash the double troubles this week, i will just be participating in the community fun for the time being, as my deposit limit has kicked in, may enter a cheap live sng, if I do i'll keep you posted!

@SkilfulPoker wrote:

Hey yes it was an awesome promotion!

I'm not in contention for the ticket this time around, but agree NL25 should be fun for those with a ticket, you should start a challenge so we can follow your progress running your ticket up :)

U think you should try it. Seeing 20 flops on NL4 five days in a row is very easy. It is still not too late to jump on it.

Thank you, will consider it.

Archived