Fire & Smoke - The BBQ Corner

Stubbe-Unibet

As expected, it was hectic as hell and didn't really manage to take any proper pictures. 

The brisket played tricks with me and even after turning up the temp to 140 last couple hours, it wasn't finished after approx 20 hours... Next time, I'll plan with 22 hours for a brisket this size - it can always rest 4-6 hours in a cooler, when done. 

Overall, it went okay, but still feel rusty and it was a rookie mistake to count on the brisket being done after 16-20 hours.

received_785420806463822.thumb.jpeg.b9667f57e0744b9b9d16d4d8d2acfb2f.jpegreceived_765085582243001.thumb.jpeg.62dd1ec39c9ff57f075cf319699361d1.jpeg

• Like 5

Check the latest poker release notes. Have a look at our poker promotions

Damn that all looks so yummy :classic_smile:

Never had wagyu beef, but maybe one day if I somehow happen to win on lottery 🙏

Who goes and gets born on April fools day though :classic_rolleyes:

Edited by Purps
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Purps said:

Damn that all looks so yummy :classic_smile:

Never had wagyu beef, but maybe one day if I somehow happen to win on lottery 🙏

Who goes and gets born on April fools day though :classic_rolleyes:

Wagyu beef doesn't have to be crazy expensive. There's a lot of wagyu mixed beef these days, and for some cuts, mixed is actually better than the real deal. I'd for instance never get a big Japanese wagyu A5 ribeye, but a wagyu mix is amazing for a steak. 

Also worth mentioning you really don't need that much meat, when it's A5 wagyu. Because of the fat, you'll feel great after just a small portion.

In this case, it was wagyu mix, which I've found to be excellent for brisket. Full wagyu just becomes a bit too much, unless it's only brisket flat. 

• Like 1

Want to mention this side dish as well https://www.fivehearthome.com/creamy-cheesy-corn-casserole/. Never had it before, but decided it was a good choice for a big party, together with the brisket. It's incredibly simple to make, and it's just a really excellent match for brisket or other fatty meat.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Stubbe-Unibet said:

it was a rookie mistake to count on the brisket being done after 16-20 hours

Not saying it couldn't be purely time issue but as 20 hours seem enough for me couple of other things came to mind. Did you cook it as it is whole time or did you wrap the meat for last hours and it might be even as simple as weather issue. Smoking in Malta might not be the same as in Denmark, especially what comes to opening smoker during cooking and getting back to wanted temperature.

Never smoked brisket myself but those were just common cooking things that came to mind

12 hours ago, Stubbe-Unibet said:

Want to mention this side dish as well https://www.fivehearthome.com/creamy-cheesy-corn-casserole/. Never had it before, but decided it was a good choice for a big party, together with the brisket. It's incredibly simple to make, and it's just a really excellent match for brisket or other fatty meat.

Gotta try that sometime.

8 minutes ago, Livertool said:

Not saying it couldn't be purely time issue but as 20 hours seem enough for me couple of other things came to mind. Did you cook it as it is whole time or did you wrap the meat for last hours and it might be even as simple as weather issue. Smoking in Malta might not be the same as in Denmark, especially what comes to opening smoker during cooking and getting back to wanted temperature.

Never smoked brisket myself but those were just common cooking things that came to mind

It was wrapped after 6-7 hours or so. I used a second thermometer to verify the temp (in the smoker) was correct.

It's just that briskets are so difficult to predict, when it's bigger ones like this 6.5kg one (and that was pretty much fully trimmed weight). The fact that it had the pork butt just below has surely added some time to the cook, and then I think it was just a slow one at the same time, resulting in what would probably have been around 22 hours at 105 degrees, to get the meat to 93 degrees.

• Like 1

Yeah, depends on piece of meat and equipments too, not two exactly the same. Ham is suppose to be way easier but i never manage to get even that cooked in time that is "supposed to". And it always seem to get stuck at 55-60 and i'm tempted to put heat up but then it spikes up eventually. Patience is virtue 😄