HEXABROS JOURNEY

JamesPearl

Hello everyone, 

I will be documenting my progress playing the Hexapro variant.

My main and favourite screen name I use is hexabro. Although I do make use of the name change system.

I will be trying to work my way up the stakes, I feel that documenting my progress will improve me as a player as I will have opportunities to review my games.

Spin and go format I would say is my speciality out of all the other formats.

Mainly played a mix of 1/2€ games

I will aim to stay active in this thread but will only post updated bankroll every month or so.

normally play around 50 or so games during weekdays and 100 on weekends, this can be improved but I only 2 table for now. 

• Like 5

Listened to TexasTommo’s podcast last night and found it very insightful.

Interesting parts about slowing right down and thinking about each spot in detail. There are a lot of players who seem to play on auto pilot mass tabling and I was starting to become like that and my results were being affected.

I would rather play fewer games but be hyper focused playing my A game so I think I will now be less focused on games played going forward.

Few spots I get unsure about so if anybody could clarify if I am making a mistake would be appreciated.

25bb eff first hand of game 

hero btn AKo 

open shove 25bb as first hand people tend to call wider 

sn folds bb calls k9S

hits 9 on turn

If we call this decision A and the alternative decision B which would be min raise and play the hand accordingly on the flop is it always better to choose B as a way to reduce variance.

Edge in HexaPros comes from playing Post-Flop however if you have it on good authority (take notes, most people don't change avatar) that your Opponents like to call Light as per your Example, I guess the 25BB BTN All-in Exploit seems like a better move than seeing the Flop. 

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Huge thank you to freedom,

Since first post I have played about 350 hexapros all at 2€

I think I am somewhere around -7/8 buy ins not too sure as I haven’t really been watching cashier.

Feel like I’m playing pretty well have found some areas I need to work on.

Goal at the moment is split my time around 80/20 play study.

Will keep you all posted 🫡

• Like 2

On 9/12/2023 at 2:56 PM, JamesPearl said:

Few spots I get unsure about so if anybody could clarify if I am making a mistake would be appreciated.

25bb eff first hand of game 

hero btn AKo 

open shove 25bb as first hand people tend to call wider 

sn folds bb calls k9S

hits 9 on turn

If we call this decision A and the alternative decision B which would be min raise and play the hand accordingly on the flop is it always better to choose B as a way to reduce variance.

Once you climb up higher, people are not going to call shoves on the first hand with crap, at least not regularly. With AK you don't really aim to reduce variance, you generally want as much as possible in pf. So if the stakes you are playing and the playerpool allows it, I would always flip with AK pf vs some crap than minraise it to the flop and start the guessing game. That's not even a close one.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DrCold said:

Once you climb up higher, people are not going to call shoves on the first hand with crap, at least not regularly. With AK you don't really aim to reduce variance, you generally want as much as possible in pf. So if the stakes you are playing and the playerpool allows it, I would always flip with AK pf vs some crap than minraise it to the flop and start the guessing game. That's not even a close one.

Understood thank you. I have all ranges saved from Ryan O Donnels’ course so this will save the confusion on future. I have been saving hands each session and reviewing at the end of play.

13 minutes ago, JamesPearl said:

Understood thank you. I have all ranges saved from Ryan O Donnels’ course so this will save the confusion on future. I have been saving hands each session and reviewing at the end of play.

Well it's great that you are putting in the effort to learn. I think reviewing hands is part of a better way to learn than watching videos. Simply watching videos and trying to do the things that other guys do without fully understanding why can be detrimental, even though it's a good place to start. Remember that you don't have to play perfectly, you only need to play better than your current opponents. Don't know what is discussed in that course, but remember also that optimal play and optimal lines can be drastically different vs certain people than they are in theory. GTO for example gives you optimal solutions for situations where your opponent is also playing according to GTO. They completely neglect psychology which is a huge mistake imo.

Out of curiosity I had to watch a clip of his. Have to say I'm not convinced at all. There's a part where he says that he is worried that the opponent will develop a counter strategy to his raising the limp with spade-x and thus will know that he doesn't have a flush when the board is all diamonds. Lol, I think he could play a hundred years against the same opponents before they notice something like that. Also, he raises his opponents donk bet on the river with a full house and hopes he has a bluff. Why? Wouldn't it be much better if his opponent had trips?

1 hour ago, DrCold said:

Well it's great that you are putting in the effort to learn. I think reviewing hands is part of a better way to learn than watching videos. Simply watching videos and trying to do the things that other guys do without fully understanding why can be detrimental, even though it's a good place to start. Remember that you don't have to play perfectly, you only need to play better than your current opponents. Don't know what is discussed in that course, but remember also that optimal play and optimal lines can be drastically different vs certain people than they are in theory. GTO for example gives you optimal solutions for situations where your opponent is also playing according to GTO. They completely neglect psychology which is a huge mistake imo.

Thank you for taking the time to respond in such detail. Very much appreciated

• 2 weeks later...

Have decided to stop the Hexapro challenge and switch to heads up after receiving coaching. Feel I have a greater edge in these games.

Goals are to aim for 100 heads up minimum matches a week. Majority of games to be played Sunday-Thursday with weekend as breaks.

+47eu week 1 heads up 110 played 54.8% wr 

2 sit and go live home games + 166eu