Bet void if placed during event

MoreTBC

So the eSports SNG was run last night and there was a line on the winner. The line was set up uncorrectly and stated the event was on Sunday at 8pm instead of Wednesday at 8pm. I looked at the line when the SNG was down to 6 to see if there were any live odds. The website showed me 4 names, which I took to be the 4 remaining players real-time as the stream was delayed and I placed bets accordingly. Then one of the 4 listed players were eliminated and I realised that the line was still set up as if the event had not started.

I picked the winnner but the bet was voided and I received an email saying the reason was "Obvious mistake - the bet has been placed after the event has started.' It wasn't an obvious mistake, I only noticed the incorrect time/date and that you could click 'view all participants' after Hotted was knocked out and it also wasn't my mistake. Unibet put the incorrect line up so why is my bet not honoured? Should it be honoured? If someone types an extra 0 and offers 100/1 instead of 10/1 do those types of bets get voided as well?

Have you read my blog HERE... It's long isn't it :)

@MoreTBCwrote:

If someone types an extra 0 and offers 100/1 instead of 10/1 do those types of bets get voided as well?

Yes, pretty much always. If it's a significant mistake, the bet will be voided. Standard practice.

Don't know about your particular bet, but if it was the pre-match odds, and you placed the bet when just four were remaining, you got a significantly higher odds than you should. One could argue that the odds should just be adjusted, so you still get some winnings. Perhaps @MarcoV (now working with the sports betting team) or @JeppeL will consider a gesture of good will, but think that's the best that you can hope for :)

@MoreTBC

I think it's obvious they void such a bet. And that's also clearly stated in the terms. You could place the bet with 2 left and have a huge odd on one of those players (if I remember correctly the second place had odds of over 10 on him) 

I see now that the circumstances of ones birth are irrelevant... It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.

I understand that they're going to void it but it's not my mistake so the email is misleading. Also if Unibet offer the line should they not pay it? Does this not open them up to voiding any line for any reason and just calling it a mistake?
Have you read my blog HERE... It's long isn't it :)

@MoreTBCwrote:

Does this not open them up to voiding any line for any reason and just calling it a mistake?

Not really. For 99.9 % of the bets offered, other bookmakers will have odds on the same or similar outcome, so it's pretty easy to see if the odds is off. Unibet would never get away with voiding a bet, using the odds as an excuse, if the average odds on the market was just a few percent lower:)

@MoreTBC, first of all I'd like to apologize for the issues we had with the bet offers on the eSports SNG. It's indeed frustrating when you think you've found a great odds and suddenly notice that we made a mistake and therefore had to void it,

The email we send out is to let you know that the bet is voided due to a mistake from our end, not yours :)

I believe @testuser1's answer to your concern about voiding bets whenever we want to was spot on. We would simply lose our credibility if we start making questionable decisions regarding bets voided due to a mistake - it has to be obvious.

You can read more about the rule and the reason behind it here. Feel free to ask should you have any questions :)

Former community moderator

Just a quick question guys:

I placed a bet yesterday night on Monfils to win the second set against Cilic for 1,75. The game was interrupted in the second set tie break 7-7. The weather forecast says it would be raining today too. I can't cash out my bet. Should I

A, wait for the result even it would last another day

B, bet on Cilic with the same amount, realize some loss but I will have time to place that money on another bet and turn it profitable

C, decrease the loss, but give a chance to this bet (bet less what the profit would be on Cilic)?

What would I do?

The "obvious" part of the rules intrigues me. 

Let's create a hypothetical situation. Koolein had odds 11, probably because it was assumed that he didn't play before. What if he was the long lost cousin twice removed of Fedor Holz, and what if from the beginning they always studied poker together and are of a similar skill level. But this is not public knowledge, he kept his online identity a secret and only a select group of friends, family, and some acquaintances know, people that would watch the stream to see him play live. Such a monster in a field of gamers could probably win the tournament how often, 1/5, 1/4, if he's amazing with live reads as well let's say 1/3 for the hell of it. Seeing the 11/1 odds on him, all the people that know about Koolein being the long lost father-in-law of Fedors father's mother will bet large amounts of money on him, and they will tell all their friends and maybe post on forums about this value bet and tons of money will be bet on him. 

Would this be a situation where the odds are "obviously" wrong enough to void the bet after he wins the game, even though other than a few people in the world knowing something more about his history, there is absolutely nothing obvious about it before the game? And with such exclusive events, I assume no other site has odds for it; does that mean that there are no average market odds to compare to? 

@FeelsBadMan odds are most of the time set up that the bookie in the long run has a small profit. RTP is like 90-95%.

If by a typo this equation isn't true I think this is an obvious mistake. (Ofcourse this equation can be false when the bookie does promo's or something)

Here it's obvious, because the bet still is about 9 players, while only 5(?) or so were left. If the odds of the 5 players were as that on specified moment, the RTP would be far over 100% (which imo points towards a mistake)

I see now that the circumstances of ones birth are irrelevant... It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.

@FeelsBadMan, if you simply know more than the bookmakers (or the other players, as you shouldn’t underestimate the effect of stupid people betting ;) ) and thereby spot an odds with value, the bet won’t be voided. Let me give you an example.

It’s not uncommon for bookmakers not to be aware of possible position changes for players, which lead to the odds on them to score a goal being too high. I’ve got plenty of examples of this. Made quite a lot of money a few years ago, when Holtby went from playing CDM to playing CAM. It took 4-5 games before the odds actually reflected his position change. In this case the bet won’t be voided. It’s not a crime to be better than the bookie ;)

Even obvious mistakes are not always corrected. A few times I’ve made good money on a striker coming on in the second half instead of a defender, and the odds on him to score the next goal being as if he was actually playing in the defense. Never got these bets voided, but that might just be my luck (or because it wasn’t a big game, so the bookmaker wouldn’t lose a lot on the mistake).

When there’s an extra 0 on the odds or the prematch odds are available halfway through the game, the bet will be voided. It’s an obvious mistake, and in 90 % of these cases, I’m sure the customer knew the odds was a little too goo to be true.

Archived