cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Rank 19
Rank 19

Well inbetween work and general life we have got off to a slow start but have still managed to play a few things, in particularly nano tournaments. I was surprised myself actually the difference in skill between these nano events and those in the UOS. The UOS fields are a lot more solid and quite often I was talking through a hand and possible ranges only to see something completely unexpected at the end which didn't make any sense, and is no good for teaching the game to someone! We may change tact but I have tasked Charl with finding a hand that she thinks was particularly interesting and posting it here, with what she did, to see what sort of response she gets. I want her to understand that there are many ways to play hands based on villains persona, position, chip stack etc and I want her to get use to asking questions to a community about how else the hand could of been played... and maybe I'll learn something too Rofl

Highlighted
Rank 8
Rank 8

Well it's not so much the learning thats the problem... its finding the time to play it!! But seeing as he's put me up to it I'll post a hand that I want some advice on.

Im in the big blind in a normal tournament with K3. Blinds are 200 and i have a stack of about 6k left. A guy who has been playing a lot of hands calls early. Small blind calls and I check. The flop comes 2 3 3 with no flush draw.

Flop - Small bets 400 and I decide to call. Other guy folds. 

Turn - The turn comes a 6 and small bets 600 and I decide to raise to 1200. He calls.

River -  is a 9 and small checks. I decide to bet 1600 and get called and lose to 4 5. 

I didnt think much about this hand but Andy tells me there is lots to think about here. 

Flop - Why do we just call and is it the right thing to do?

Turn - Why do we choose to raise here? Whats his range of things we beat and he'll call, vs things we lose against. How many in his range will he raise again telling us we lose?

River - Just because we lost is betting wrong? Are we too stong to check?

Overall - We had only invested 200 in the blind but end up losing over half stack. How would knowing our opponent better change our play?

Soooooooo whos going to help me out with the answers????? haha

He did congratulate me on not going broke in the hand though lol 

Highlighted
Rank 10
Rank 10

it was necessary not to give him to watch the next card (i think so that)

Highlighted
Rank 22
Rank 22

@Charl_xoxox wrote:

Well it's not so much the learning thats the problem... its finding the time to play it!! But seeing as he's put me up to it I'll post a hand that I want some advice on.

Im in the big blind in a normal tournament with K3. Blinds are 200 and i have a stack of about 6k left. A guy who has been playing a lot of hands calls early. Small blind calls and I check. The flop comes 2 3 3 with no flush draw.

Flop - Small bets 400 and I decide to call. Other guy folds. 

Turn - The turn comes a 6 and small bets 600 and I decide to raise to 1200. He calls.

River -  is a 9 and small checks. I decide to bet 1600 and get called and lose to 4 5. 

I didnt think much about this hand but Andy tells me there is lots to think about here. 

Flop - Why do we just call and is it the right thing to do?

Turn - Why do we choose to raise here? Whats his range of things we beat and he'll call, vs things we lose against. How many in his range will he raise again telling us we lose?

River - Just because we lost is betting wrong? Are we too stong to check?

Overall - We had only invested 200 in the blind but end up losing over half stack. How would knowing our opponent better change our play?

Soooooooo whos going to help me out with the answers????? haha

He did congratulate me on not going broke in the hand though lol 

I would have played the hand exactly the same, except maybe raise a little more on the turn.

We're gonna win on so many levels! We're gonna win, win, win. You're gonna get so tired of winning, you're gonna say: "Mr. President please, we don't wanna win anymore, it's too much!" And I'm gonna say: "I'm sorry, we're gonna keep winning because we're gonna make America great again!"
Highlighted
Rank 19
Rank 19

Not much response but thanks for those that did. 

@mafioso77777I think it is fine to try and isolate the original raiser by raising here but at lot of the time our hand is so far ahead letting people hang themselves a bit is probably more profitable. Also, if early position has tried limping with something massive they might fancy a raise themselves meaning we can get allin then.

@WuDuYep, pretty much what I do. I don't think there is actually anything wrong with how the hand is played. I wanted her to come back to me and tell me that while thinking about the sort of questions she should be asking herself.

The biggest thing I wanted to stress to her is that we shouldn't base our future decisions on the result of one particular hand. Win or lose. I think many times our hand is good here the way we play it, bearing in mind the lack of strength shown by villain, and as such we will make money in the long run using this strategy. The fact we lost the hand is irrelevant. There is more than enough hands that are behind in villains range that make that river bet sound. 

I'll post an update of my own stats tomorrow. Haven't played a great deal but it's been a while since I did an update!

Highlighted
Rank 22
Rank 22

@MetalWolf

You could also check behind on the river if you suspect your opponent to have a 3 as well paired with one of the 5 cards that kill you. But that depends a lot on you picking up a read before. But the fact that the opponent check-called instead of going all-in on the river shows you that he wasn't sure as well...

We're gonna win on so many levels! We're gonna win, win, win. You're gonna get so tired of winning, you're gonna say: "Mr. President please, we don't wanna win anymore, it's too much!" And I'm gonna say: "I'm sorry, we're gonna keep winning because we're gonna make America great again!"
Highlighted
Rank 19
Rank 19

Yep, certainly agree with that. 

As mentioned yesterday heres a quick stats update. 

Total games played: 2358

ITM: 689 / 29.22%

Total buyin: €19,558.10

Total Cashes: €26,015.11

Profit: €6,457.01

ROI: 33.01%

Tournament wins: 24

I really need to come up with some proper goals for next year. I've achieved some decent things this year and defo want to make some more great poker memories next year too. 

Highlighted
Rank 19
Rank 19

UO is getting close. My record of big buyin events reads

£/$/€1000 - Played 4 online. Cashed 0.

£/$/€500 - Played 1 Live. Cashed 0.

£/$/€500 - Played 14 Online. Cashed 8. 

So, only a week away from Dublin and the biggest live event I will have ever played.

I feel a story coming on...

Highlighted
Rank 24
Rank 24

£$1,0000  Live.      Played  0

£$1,000    Online.  Played  0

£$500      Live.       Played  0

£$500      Online.   Played  0

0% record and counting. 

I won't mind you taking it down at all. Rofl

It Is What It Is
Highlighted
Rank 19
Rank 19

@GR1ZZL3RYou also have a 100% record of never failing to cash whichever way you look at it Wink

My 8 cashes might look fairly impressive from 14 online 500's but none of them were even double my money I don't think. All min to slightly above min cashes haha #ScaredMoney