cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TarotPower Rank 11
Rank 11
monkeyheaven Rank 10
Rank 10

Just waiting to fly home from Malta. Nice place, can see myself coming back for a bit longer over the winter. Poker was a very mixed bag, overall very disappointing, I really need to learn how to get it in for all the chips and hit 3 outers in mtts, think that’s a key strategy.

Live cash
14hours, +€650

12h, +€1250 sngs, -€250 mtt

Live mtt
27h, -€1200

I’ve been interested in playing mtt’s for fun, but I really don’t enjoy them, even when they are going well. Financially no question my hourly is higher in sngs, and I think I’ve been playing mtts to hit a big score as justification for playing poker for a living. One of the most common questions I get asked is, “what’s the most you’ve won in a day?”, and my answer is very underwhelming to people (it’s about $6k for winning an aria daily tourney). Probably should care less what other people think.

It’s been interesting seeing the difference in my enjoyment of online sngs, live cash, and live mtts. Online sngs I still love, get excited to play every day, enjoy all the good days, and instantly forget the bad ones. Live cash is fun, lots of table chat, drinks, a few blowups (not by me), fast play.

Live mtts really are the nut low. Battle of Malta, I played a total of maybe 15 hours over two day ones, lot of table changes, saw maybe 50 different players; no one spoke, aside from a couple of very brief conversations. Half the table tanked before decisions. I really wonder why recreational players even bother. It’s early in a €500 donkament, it really doesn’t need to be like this.  

Anyone still interested in the coaching freeroll, offer still open, looking for the right person.

@Caladrias@UAC, thanks, see you at the tables.  

UAC Rank 12
Rank 12

Yeah wouldn't worry too much about what others think man.

When I first started I absolutely loved tourneys live or online. Think I just liked the thrill of running deep and for people with the right skil set they can be very profitable.

But nothing beats making a steady living in a game you know inside out. 

0 Likes
JRHartley Rank 3
Rank 3

Hey buddy awesome blog! Has really made me have another stab at sit n gos! Played 10 or so yesterday and really like the 5 handed format, nice soft games and low rake on unibet! Defo gonna start and give these a go! Any advice on good ICM study material for a relative noob?

0 Likes
monkeyheaven Rank 10
Rank 10

@JRHartley, yeah, I think it’s a really fun format, and the rakes lower than anywhere else. 

Theres really no easy shortcuts that I know of when it comes to studying ICM. ICMizer is software that offers a few free calculations every day, and you do need to put in a decent amount of effort to get the right output each time, and of course there’s inifinite different situations.  

Some random thoughts on ICM study;

Dont be lazy and follow the Nash ICM solutions, Nash solutions assume everyone plays optimally. They don’t. 

Theres no general rules.  Try to pick the most +EV line; sometimes limping BvB with 9bb or raise folding 11bb is better than a +EV shove. Sometimes openshoving 25bb’s is best.  Etc. 

Dont push the envelope too far.  Taking very thin +EV spots isn’t smart in soft games.  Shoving superwide because players call too tight is fun while it lasts, but players don’t put up with that stuff for long, and your shoves quickly become unprofitable.  

0 Likes
KrustyTheClown Rank 13
Rank 13

It's so typical that when a player kinda brags, there's gonna be a bit of flaming.
But IMO I think one has the right to brag from time to time, especially when said player puts in tons of hours and effort.
It's the same thing as a regular dayjob. People that work hard and do well, can also be proud about it etc...
There's also no point in being dishonest about it, most people on here have never seen eachother in real life.
Apart from the Belgian community that is Tongue

I really dislike SNG's, otherwise I'd be interested in taking on the SNG endbosses.
I'll stick to cashgames however Smile

GL with the grind @monkeyheaven

0 Likes
monkeyheaven Rank 10
Rank 10

100s have been running quite a bit the last couple of days, think I’ve played 9 or 10 in that time.

5 games on Sunday evening, got 3 firsts and a 2nd. Twice hit 3 outers, and won one flip, each time for half the chips in play, each time vs itsyrbrthday (screename is something like that), so that helps.

Yesterday, played 4 or 5 100s, no cashes. It’s a tiny amount of my volume, maybe 3% of my games have been 100s the last two days, but it determines if I win or lose for the day.

I think more 100s have run than 50s these last two days, mostly 5 reg games, I’m curious as to what these guys are doing otherwise, cash games or other sites I guess, but some of them aren’t interested in regging for the 50s it seems. It’s been myself vs some combo of iansimpson, bearium, itsyrbrthday, brooooo, einherjar, hotlipps, psycho79. I certainly don’t consider this to be a soft lineup, I think myself and bearium are definitely winning longterm in these lineups, the others I don’t know, some have some obvious leaks, some I haven’t seen do anything really stupid yet.

@KrustyTheClown, thanks, 100%, there’s nothing wrong with being proud of achievements.  Plus, there’s probably one or two better sng players than me on unibet, there definitely is plenty more on stars, and I prob couldn’t beat midstakes cash no matter how hard I tried (though I’m curious to try too, but hard to start at the bottom again).   Think I’m reasonably aware of my spot on the ladder.  

monkeyheaven Rank 10
Rank 10

Thought I’d update the reg rankings, this is just the ones that have been playing recently. The guys in the top half are mostly 25+ players, the bottom half mostly €10 players. Numbers 9-12 play almost identically, probably not a coincidence, very limited skillset but can see how it’s profitable vs the players they face at the 10s, they would probably all be losing players if they played higher.

i don’t think the players at the top are great, but they’ve not done much that’s obviously bad. 

1. Nebulyad
2. Itsmybrthday
3. Bearium
4. Caladrias
5. Hotlipps
6. Einherjar
7. Iansimpson
8. DownwithOPP
9. Ashlee2007
10. IkerC1
11. TonnyP1
12. Maleus
13. Smoothace
14. Katies
15. Bredsox
16. Kroll

PaziHalinka Rank 10
Rank 10

I think Kroll is  a recreational player, not a reg. 

IkerC1 and TonnyP1 might be the same player, but Ashley and Maleus are definitely 2 different persons  Smile

0 Likes
cris1285 Rank 21
Rank 21

@monkeyheaven wrote:

Thought I’d update the reg rankings, this is just the ones that have been playing recently. The guys in the top half are mostly 25+ players, the bottom half mostly €10 players. Numbers 9-12 play almost identically, probably not a coincidence, very limited skillset but can see how it’s profitable vs the players they face at the 10s, they would probably all be losing players if they played higher.

i don’t think the players at the top are great, but they’ve not done much that’s obviously bad. 

1. Nebulyad
2. Itsmybrthday
3. Bearium
4. Caladrias
5. Hotlipps
6. Einherjar
7. Iansimpson
8. DownwithOPP
9. Ashlee2007
10. IkerC1
11. TonnyP1
12. Maleus