Unibet Community

Ask questions, get help and enjoy Unibet
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
monkeyheaven Rank 10
Rank 10

Thought I'd start a blog, first time doing one of these, If you've played a short handed turbo sng, you've probably played me, Since 2010 I've played about 200k of them (a first place to not be proud of).

Intro:
At 41 I'm ancient by online poker standards, was in biotech industry developing biologic therapeutic drugs for about 15 years. Got bored of that, won a good amount of money playing sngs in my spare time over what, in hindsight, was a very insignificant sample size, quit my job in Belgium, moved back to Cambridge, UK, at the end of 2009 to play professionally and I'm still here and I still love it.

Poker career:
Think I played my first games on party back in 2008, barely knew the rules, lost pretty consistently at 25nl for 6 months, then swapped to sngs on full tilt, broke even for another 6 months. Had a break, read a couple poker books, crushed sngs on pkr/cake/ultimate for about 50% roi playing a couple hours a night, whilst winning every other live low stakes donkament I played, that was enough to convince me to quit my middle management position in science at end of '09. I didn't know much about sample sizes (and I was terrible at poker, but not as bad as everyone else in '09).

Grinded on stars.com as "monkeyheaven", was one of the better regs at $39 6max turbos, wasn't confident I could beat the 100s. Switched to stars.fr (as "singeparadis", geddit) after Black Friday as the .com games became full of Russian rakeback grinders. Played everything that ran, up to 27 tabling a combo of 6m, 9m, 10m F50. Got good at clicking buttons really fast.

After stars.fr blocked uk players, moved around a bit, the hive (colluders), 888 (rake and software purgatory), till I found unibet a couple years ago.

Blog:
My main aim is to promote how great the games are on unibet, in particular the 5max sngs. Not exactly sure how best to do that, prob include some lol hand histories from the regs, including myself, some free coaching offers, anything else I can think of.

That's enough for now though.

93 REPLIES 93
monkeyheaven Rank 10
Rank 10

Just had an idea for a little free roll.  Playing the unibet deep stack open in France at the end of the month. Giveaway a few %, will post details next Thursday. 

VikingsAF Rank 21
Rank 21

Good luck man. Looking forward to your blog Very Happy

I see now that the circumstances of ones birth are irrelevant... It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.
MathrimC Rank 19
Rank 19

Nice intro, interesting background you have. Looking forward to following your blog and hear what you have to say about the Unibet SNGs. And I'm secretly hoping to see one of my aliases appear here and get bashed for a hand I played badly Cheeky

Tillus Rank 13
Rank 13

You'd have to such a monkey to be willing to play over 200k sngs ...oh wait! Geek

Did you only play turbo sngs on party back in the day? Played a bit of regspeed sngs as well back then when wih tdan89 and the likes when two-figure ROIs were a certainty. Good ole times Lovekiss)

PaziHalinka Rank 10
Rank 10

What do you think about SNG regs on Unibet? imo most of them are pretty bad(maybe I am as wellLaugh) I am curious about your opinion.

monkeyheaven Rank 10
Rank 10

Tillus, never played sngs on party (terrible structure and rake, and no traffic these days). I played almost entirely 6max turbos on stars.com, but did play a few regspeeds everywhere else, and yeah they were really good, could get a better hourly at them than with turbos, but that's a few years ago, regspeeds are dead now as far as I know. 

PaziHalinka, I'll definitely do a more detailed post about the regs at some point.  Yeah I agree, most are worse than on other sites.  There's some good reasons why they might appear to play worse; the lack of HUD and anonymity encourage good players to make some fairly outrageous exploitative adjustments; when you get caught you can look a bit foolish.  

But also, a number have non existent fundamentals, such as poor opening ranges, huge ICM mistakes etc.  This is true all the way up to €50/100 games.  Its much harder to spot and correct these leaks on unibet because of lack of hand history database to study.  Overall, $7 stars regs have a more solid fundamental sng strategy than the higher stakes regs on unibet.  

monkeyheaven Rank 10
Rank 10

FREEROLL: 2% of my Unibet Deepstack open main event, just post in this thread between now and next Wednesday for a chance to win.

So, I'm playing Unibet DSO in Gujan-Mestras, just west of Bordeaux. It's €550 buyin, playing day 1B on Friday 25th, and probably a second bullet in the turbo in the evening if necessary (and I'm not tilted or drunk after 1B).

It looks to be a really great event, winner got €33k last year, and it's a predominately French field (no stereotypes, but there's a reason I played on stars.fr for years).

Next week, I'll announce the freeroll winner, share some recent sng results (god-mode has been activated) and rate my chances in the live tourney (doom-switched).

VikingsAF Rank 21
Rank 21

@monkeyheaven  wow Wink sure you want to do that? Very Happy

If yes, then I'm eager to join Very Happy

Goodluck man. It feels like you will go deep Wink 

I see now that the circumstances of ones birth are irrelevant... It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.
0 Likes
jimbo1 Rank 10
Rank 10