What do you do ?

pirahn

Even players with AA as the big stack would just call and check down except the nut hand normally, as at this stage its definetly the table vs the small stack.

I had the impression that the massive chipleader often has a massive problem with his ego and wants to be some kind of the table boss. Since it is very unlikely for him not to get a ticket he can afford to lose a big chunk of his stack and still has more than enough chips. 

In my opinion you just give the big stack the perfect opportunity when you openraise instead of openshoving. It s a situation where he can´t lose:

- you fold = he gains chips

- you call, he wins = satellite is done

- you call, he loses = he had the opportunity to finish the satellite and still has 18k chips left

NO MORE HALF-MEASURES.

@GotWhatItTakes wrote:

In my opinion you just give the big stack the perfect opportunity when you openraise instead of openshoving. It s a situation where he can´t lose:

I gave the chip leader the opportunity to be a team player and increase the chance of ending the game. He chose otherwise and was really lucky to escape with a ticket. Poker is about the maths but it can also be about psychology.

Yeah, I love the idea of teaming up on the bubble of a satellite. But if the chipleader has some issues with his ego it is unlikely he will go along and just call. They are programmed for destruction and decay only 😀 

But seriously, I made the experience that teaming up is way easier when there are 5 even stacks and one shortstack.

NO MORE HALF-MEASURES.

You know when everybody limps into a multiway bubble spot to eliminate the crippled stack and the fishy chip leader jams the flop as a total bluff, giving the short stack a decent pot when everybody else folds?

Those people are worse than ten Hitlers.

Formerly known as StartlingGrope

@StartlingGrope wrote:

You know when everybody limps into a multiway bubble spot to eliminate the crippled stack and the fishy chip leader jams the flop as a total bluff, giving the short stack a decent pot when everybody else folds?

Those people are worse than ten Hitlers.

Hitlers..maybe a bit over the top. Maybe ten putins.(or is it ras putins..im easily confused)

• 1 month later...

10 $ buy-in, ~900 registered, 126 pays (1st is over 1k, 126th 18 $). Im about 90-100. with ~11 BB, so looks kinda safe to be ITM when 150 of us left. From first position i 3bet with AJs. Everyone fold, except the villain who is very fishy, bet on anything better than average hand. And eventually he goes all-in and covering me (he use to do that). If i fold i have like 8 BB left, and next round BB, than SB, dangerzone. What would you do?

I called. I was thinking quite long, and i had three reasons to decide to call. 1, i wanted to win big, because i played good enough to get more than that 18$. And anyway, so annoying when i fold everything to get ITM, and somehow it doesnt happen because other shortstacks double up. 2, this guy was really fishy, i thought he has like A7, A8, or a smaller pair. He was SB, disaster if has a top pair there :) 3, During the 3,5 hours i played, i had 3 times A high straight, and twice flush with the very same diamonds. So i just had a good feeling about it.
The end of the story, on SB he had QQ, and an other Q came one the flop... Finished without any money. 

Opinions? 

I don't think opening to 3bb from UTG is the right move with AJs and 11bb. You're putting so much of your stack in that you're almost commited anyway when someone shoves, which is exactly what happened. I think shoving yourself or folding are much better options. And UTG on a loose table getting closer to the money, a fold might be the right move.

Other than that, if you're sure about your read on him being a maniac, and he doesn't have the knowledge to realize that a 3bb utg open from a shortstack looks very strong, then it's a good call, against an average opponent it's a narrow fold, although you get decent pot odds with what you already put in. The shoving range vs an utg open should be very tight, something like TT-AA, AQ-AK, which has you quite dominated.

Archived