All in tourneys.

GR1ZZL3R

It seems to me lately that there are two main types of poker players, those that want to play poker and those that want to gamble. The micro-stakes tourneys seem to be full of what are sometimes described as "bingo poker" players, any hand can win so I might as well shove and try to get lucky, if I lose it's just on to the next one. We have flip tournaments where everybody is forced all in every hand, but this is obviously too much pure luck for some so I want to propose a tournament structure for those that want less than100% luck but not too much skill, after all, we don't really want to spend too much time studying do we? when we could be "playing."

To make decisions so much simpler why don't we get rid of the call or raise button completely in these tourneys, after all they are hardly used anyway most of the time. Start off normally with 3,4 or 5 mins levels, 2,000 chips, normal sb and bb, but then when it comes to your turn you only have two choices, fold or all in. The breathtakingly simplicity of this structure will cater for most of the all in merchants but still leave an option open for those that like a bit more depth in their play, who knows, you might even last out for more than 2 or 3 levels with a bit of self control. If these were a success but players found them just a little too quick we could add new tourneys to only fold, all in or even just call the blinds pre-flop and then back to normal after the flop, all in or fold, adding a further level of depth to the decision making. I wouldn't go as far as to suggest a check button as that may complicate things too much and we may even see hands being checked down to the river, which would obviously slow things down far too much, who wants tourneys that last more than 10-15 mins? 

Let's get down to it and bring some proper decision making back into play.😃

"It turns out that 75% of all poker players think they play better than the other 75%."     image.png.99a4e82708d54abfc527324e8836768e.png

@GR1ZZL3R wrote:

It seems to me lately that there are two main types of poker players, those that want to play poker and those that want to gamble. The micro-stakes tourneys seem to be full of what are sometimes described as "bingo poker" players, any hand can win so I might as well shove and try to get lucky, if I lose it's just on to the next one. We have flip tournaments where everybody is forced all in every hand, but this is obviously too much pure luck for some so I want to propose a tournament structure for those that want less than100% luck but not too much skill, after all, we don't really want to spend too much time studying do we? when we could be "playing."

To make decisions so much simpler why don't we get rid of the call or raise button completely in these tourneys, after all they are hardly used anyway most of the time. Start off normally with 3,4 or 5 mins levels, 2,000 chips, normal sb and bb, but then when it comes to your turn you only have two choices, fold or all in. The breathtakingly simplicity of this structure will cater for most of the all in merchants but still leave an option open for those that like a bit more depth in their play, who knows, you might even last out for more than 2 or 3 levels with a bit of self control. If these were a success but players found them just a little too quick we could add new tourneys to only fold, all in or even just call the blinds pre-flop and then back to normal after the flop, all in or fold, adding a further level of depth to the decision making. I wouldn't go as far as to suggest a check button as that may complicate things too much and we may even see hands being checked down to the river, which would obviously slow things down far too much, who wants tourneys that last more than 10-15 mins? 

Let's get down to it and bring some proper decision making back into play.😃

interesting pov @GR1ZZL3R but i think it goes against why most people play the game at the micro....sitting back relax a putt your chips in there and see a multiway flop

@pittpitt I know some of us play to relax but I just thought it might be interesting to have to make the occassional decision, it could come as a shock to some but it's not always GTO to go all in with 94o.🤣

"It turns out that 75% of all poker players think they play better than the other 75%."     image.png.99a4e82708d54abfc527324e8836768e.png

@GR1ZZL3R wrote:

@pittpitt I know some of us play to relax but I just thought it might be interesting to have to make the occassional decision, it could come as a shock to some but it's not always GTO to go all in with 94o.🤣

yeah well if i want to play 94 off and you opt to shock me loll....praise to the poker gods ( coze i want to play 94 off ) an i am the chief of my own destiny AMEN loll

The players that you mention that go with anything, are those well known in the world of poker as "recreational players" who only play for fun, if on the contrary, you would play them in a tournament in which all the hands are all- in, besides that they would not have fun in the same way, you would be taking away the profitability of playing good players against them :)

Archived