Marcus Rashford, inspired or desperate?

Paintbrush

The question is, does Euro 2016 offer the ideal opportuntiy to blood a new player or is Roy Hodgson clutching at straws by including an inexperienced player in a 23 man squad that carries the hopes of a nation, or at least those that are slow learners when it comes to the national side?

It's too early for Rashford if you're expecting heroics.... He's barely broken out for his club. However, as long as Hodgson doesn't place huge amounts of pressure on him in this tournament, I feel it could be beneficial for him, and England. 

First off, I'm a Man Utd fan, so obviously biased. However, like Martial - also a young player, Rashford has shown tremendous skill and doesn't seem to be out of his depth at all. One thing that might be good is that such a young player, who has already won a major trophy, he might not be as influenced/taken by the occasion as some other more 'established' players.

I question some of Hodgson's selecetions, e.g. Wilshere over Drinkwater and the fact that Carroll wasn't even in the discussion. Henderson, Lallana and few 'rotation' players could possibly have made way for others. However, he did go 10-0-0 and three friendlies won on the bounce (can't remember if there was a game or two between them?) and it's very easy to be an armchair expert.

I hope he intends to use him and not like Svennis and Walcott... Having said that Hodgson seems quite calculated and thus would seemingly choose the players he thinks will have the best chance of winning. Blooding in new players is all well and good, but it doesn't come close to winning.

It really depends of a player character. He already has the quality to be english starter, so his call up was totally on the merit. Question is can he handle the pressure? IMO he can.

the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist

Archived