how to get past a bad run

dali

i seem to be going thruogh a stage where no matter what i got i keep on getting beat, bad beats for the most part and im trying everything to stay focused and bet or move in when im certain im ahead or when these donks are just bingo playing abd i keep getting beat runner runner alot of times and now im starting to lose confidence in my game and in every decision i make, anyone got any tips to help me get past this soul destroying phase im stuck in?? :happyshy: 

First of all I want to say that I know how it feels, and I, myself, am working on improving there. It's good that you come here and ask for some advice.

The most important thing is to just take a break. Do stuff outside that make you happy :) How strange as it sounds, Luck is something you need to induce. If you are feeling unlucky in your head, the bad luck will keep coming. 

How it actually works is that when you are feeling bad (about poker) you start to see every little thing the other player gets lucky with. If you have a good mindset, you will be able to relativate (? is that a word) some of those hands. You will aswell play way more safe when you are happy. Trust me!

Then, I don't know at what stakes you play, but try to go down a level. Same in tourneys. If you play 4 euro buy-ins, go to 1. If you playing 1 euro buy-ins. Try to let off some steam in freerolls. It's crazy, but that way you won't lose to much money by playing in a bad vibe.

So just don't let poker break down your confidence. Take your time and wait untill you feel confident again :)

I see now that the circumstances of ones birth are irrelevant... It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.

1 thing that helped me was trying to stop thinking of everything as a bad beat, trying to realize how often you lose in that situation (and the ones you win because you also win some but you just take it for granted that you win when there was 40% chance for you to lose) will make you feel less bad about it ... if you fell like you're getting a bad beat every day without playing a crazy amount of volume then you're clearly thinking of too many things as bad beats ... losing QQ vs AK isn't a bad beat it's 56% , AK vs 54 62%, AK vs A5 72%, AA vs 66 80% you lose 1 out of 5 times not even close to a bad beat, your opponent having to hit a flush on the river has around 18%, a flush and a set on the river 25%,  having to hit a set on the turn or river 10% it's getting kinda bad but still 1 out of 10 times it will happen. Calling all of these, "bad beats" is ridiculous when you compare it to the 99% or 99.9% chance to win bad beats :P . Also of course 22 vs KK all-in preflop with an 2 on the turn isn't a bad beat when the K drops on the river :P . And opponent hitting the runner runner option when he had a million other ways to win also isn't a bad beat :P

Yes taking breaks helps, but IMO it's the mentality that needs to change to get over these bad periods easier in the future. An yeah it's not only the "bad-beats" that hurt, seeing how much you lost, or not getting a win in a long time also hurts, but you have to treat those periods as part of the game, like having to dig through dirt for a long time to be able to find a diamond. That's probably not how diamond mining works but whatever :P 

Also EVERYONE recommends reading The Mental Game of Poker by Jared Tendler for handling this kind of stuff better. If you haven't read it yet, try it. 

Archived