Ask Dara O'Kearney (and to a lesser extent, Barry Carter) anything about PKOs

BarryMadeTea

410M4jG0g7LHi everyone, 

As you may have heard, next weekend's SuperNova will be a progressive knockout tournament. You may also know that Unibet Ambassador Dara O'Kearney has just cowritten his second book on PKO tournaments. Anyone who cashes in the SuperNova Main Event will win a digital copy of the book.

To get you in the right frame of mind for this event, Dara is here to answer your questions on PKOs, satellites, MTTs or anything else you can think of. If you really want a chance, his co-author Barry (me) might answer a few too. Just post them here and he will be along shortly to answer them. 

• Like 9

Hello @BarryCarter , hello Dara,

I don't have a specific question right now, but I would like to use the opportunity to thank you guys for your great work on your book "Poker Satellite Strategy". It helped me a lot, I learned so much about the satellites and felt inlove with them. The book is written in a great way, very easy to understand even for begginers.

• Like 3

Greetings machine!

Yes, you basically nailed it, since equities run so close in PLO there will be a lot more hands you will have the correct equity to get it in with when there's a bounty on the line in a PLO PKO. Also, since you want to be presented with such opportunities in the early to middle stages, it's even more imperative you gamble early on to acquite a gambling stack!

• Like 4

Just ordered the book little time ago. Will provide some insight once I have read it which might take long considering how slowly I usually read new stuff :)

Satellite book was certainly good for new and casual satellite players, but being an old satellite shark myself it didn't offer anything new. I am certain that won't be the issue with PKOs, which I have got much less experience (though that experience is both from Texas Hold'em and NLO8).

Know some basic stuff like counting bounties as extra chips if you got chance to get one and trying to keep your stack size bigger than most if not all of your opponents are probably. And about never late register, even if it gets you near the money (as bubble is usually around 1x buy-in).

• Like 1