DSO qualifiers and more

Psycho79

Hey @Leo-Unibet @Patric-Unibet  @JeppeL @Stubbe-Unibet ... Players

I've been thinking for more than a while of the DSO satellites, and mostly of the Thursday finals. Since the DSO has become part and parcel of every Unibet Open it has also started representing much higher value for every player attending. Thus, it would be much worth and appreciated to put more emphasis on its qualifiers system, that could bring definitely more players to UO venues than it does right now.

At first, I think it's not that obvious, but many many players winning UO seats/packages have no clue that the DSO even exists, and it could be a great
enrichment of their poker trips. Many of them are players that are here/online exclusively for the UO qualifiers, some only for the finals even. It's an
opportunity to attract them to the site for keeps. Therefore, every qualifier getting congratulation e-mail should be automatically informed of "the DSO possibility".

Then, the Thursday finals are nothing but "winner takes all" most of the time, and together with its structure and practically non-existent lower steps it makes it highly unattractive for any type of player. Once again, joining the DSO at a UO stop can be a great live experience for any recreactional player, but it's obvious they wanna make their way straight up from the bottom levels. The finals are now 25€ single reentry with one 550€ on top, but having no-ante structure during the entire re-entry period it's rather hard to "induce" any action from regulars getting beyond this one GTD entry. I'm sure it's a great moment to try changing it now before the Unibet Open Paris and help getting there as many more players as possible. 

It's also a good occasion for giving another try/test to "On demand" qualifiers and get to know how would they work now. I'm sure it's technically possible as Unibet has already had these kinda tournaments in its offer. "On demands" are a good solution for limited liquidity and many biggest sites including PokerStars apply these successfuly nowadays.

What I suggest now is to create 3 steps and put them into the schedule available at any time. Let people decide if and when they wanna play these. The steps should be 1->10 and obviously need 10 players to start the game. 0.50€->5€->50€->550€entry. The structure should be "funplayer friendly," allowing lots of action from the start, and giving a chance to register to many players after it starts at the same time. Deep enough and fast enough i would say. For instance 5000 chips, 4-5min levels, and 30min late registration is more than needed to get these games going in my opinion. The next one of each step is immidiately scheduled as soon as the previous one's late reg closes.

More...I also think that if this pattern works, more games could be shifted into it, like Supernova qualifiers for instance, 0.10€->1€->10€->100€...

As always thanks for reading it and any considerations of making it happen 👍 Best Regards! :peace:

• Like 2

@Psycho79 wrote:

The steps should be 1->10 and obviously need 10 players to start the game.  0.50€->5€->50€->550€entry 

Unfortunately I don't think this structure would work too well for a seat only dso, because most steps other than the 50 would probably never start as it's not economically viable for a 50cent player to qualify to such an event. And relying purely on people that already won a package and also don't play higher stakes is not going to cut it in terms of liquidity. A seat + cash expenses could solve that problem, but there's also the promotion of the tour that you mentioned that is kinda lacking so that should also be amped up, made more obvious (maybe even on the banners) that they will have both events at UO stops, along with the other cool stops DSO has. It's such a cool tour that is way too unknown outside of France.

I can see however each brand wanting to focus on promoting only their own brand. 

I think in it's current format 25€ re-entry is the sweet spot. And yeah the structure should be switched to the ante one, kinda weird that it still has the old structure. Don't think it will make a huge difference in the number of entries tho, and more extreme measures to encourage rebuying would probably just end up forcing people to max latereg.

• Like 1

@Psycho79 wrote:

Hey @Leo-Unibet @Patric-Unibet  @JeppeL @Stubbe-Unibet ... Players

I've been thinking for more than a while of the DSO satellites, and mostly of the Thursday finals. Since the DSO has become part and parcel of every Unibet Open it has also started representing much higher value for every player attending. Thus, it would be much worth and appreciated to put more emphasis on its qualifiers system, that could bring definitely more players to UO venues than it does right now.

At first, I think it's not that obvious, but many many players winning UO seats/packages have no clue that the DSO even exists, and it could be a great

enrichment of their poker trips. Many of them are players that are here/online exclusively for the UO qualifiers, some only for the finals even. It's an

opportunity to attract them to the site for keeps. Therefore, every qualifier getting congratulation e-mail should be automatically informed of "the DSO possibility".

Then, the Thursday finals are nothing but "winner takes all" most of the time, and together with its structure and practically non-existent lower steps it makes it highly unattractive for any type of player. Once again, joining the DSO at a UO stop can be a great live experience for any recreactional player, but it's obvious they wanna make their way straight up from the bottom levels. The finals are now 25€ single reentry with one 550€ on top, but having no-ante structure during the entire re-entry period it's rather hard to "induce" any action from regulars getting beyond this one GTD entry. I'm sure it's a great moment to try changing it now before the Unibet Open Paris and help getting there as many more players as possible. 

It's also a good occasion for giving another try/test to "On demand" qualifiers and get to know how would they work now. I'm sure it's technically possible as Unibet has already had these kinda tournaments in its offer. "On demands" are a good solution for limited liquidity and many biggest sites including PokerStars apply these successfuly nowadays.

What I suggest now is to create 3 steps and put them into the schedule available at any time. Let people decide if and when they wanna play these. The steps should be 1->10 and obviously need 10 players to start the game. 0.50€->5€->50€->550€entry. The structure should be "funplayer friendly," allowing lots of action from the start, and giving a chance to register to many players after it starts at the same time. Deep enough and fast enough i would say. For instance 5000 chips, 4-5min levels, and 30min late registration is more than needed to get these games going in my opinion. The next one of each step is immidiately scheduled as soon as the previous one's late reg closes.

More...I also think that if this pattern works, more games could be shifted into it, like Supernova qualifiers for instance, 0.10€->1€->10€->100€...

As always thanks for reading it and any considerations of making it happen 👍 Best Regards! :peace:

@Psycho79 Thanks for your long post. First of all the ante on the final is back, should been there all the time. I''m not sure about the qualifier on demand and how that was possible before my time, it's defenittely not possible to create those these days. I beleive the steps are as @FeelsBadMan  mention quite optimal now. I've added a few more daily qualifiers fro DSO to see if we can pump it up a bit.

• Like 1

Most people wont bother to qualify for an event with zero expenses attached. 

Unibet have an opportunity to be creative ,revamp and rebrand qualifying to live events that would entice existing players and bring much needed new custom. Start with a blank paper and a new fresh approach. Think outside the box. People are bound by the fear of diminishing markets. Now is the time to think new and find a creative pathway.

• Like 3

"...I like these sats as they are now, possibly I would rather play for a package than a seat..." @FeelsBadMan  Well, I don't mind it neigther, but I think these satellites can have way more potential than they have right now. To me it looks like a "No for No" rather than a constructive criticism and giving an alternative. But it seems no one believes an alternative/change is needed. 

Of course, from a microstakes player perspective it's better to have the option to cover the entire poker trip, but it doesn't mean people find winning a seat completely unattractive from a number of reasons. There are players that made their way to UOs from a 1€ ticket, and now they wanna fill up their live schedule qualifying for such a nice event as the DSO is. Or players that were invited to join their friends on the live leg. These are just the most obvious for me, cause I was in those shoes myself ones. But I'm sure there are more reasons for players to qualify from the bottom. It doesn't mean neighter that I suggest relying running these sats completely on UO package winners.

The DSO stands for an independent tour of course, having many attractive location/venues all around the world now, and I'm sure there will be players aiming for those as well. And, some of the stops offer using that 550€ as a package indeed, splitting it between a smaller buy-in and a few nights in a hotel. Not many of the full schedule, but still.

Promoting it is another thing, whether the DSO stands on its own, or as a part of a UO stop. But I don't think it would hurt anyone, letting players that won a UO package of that. All in all, you will find there a full section of them, from professionals like you to those who got their reward in 0.01€ promotion...and everyone between. Once again I'm sure, many of these players would love getting their DSO seat in qualifiers if they only knew of such an option.

But we've got far from the point...

Summing up, in my opinion the DSO sats could bring definitely more people to live stops than right now, but they won't in the current form. "On demand" satellites work perfectly in limited liquidity environment, and would just let people play whenever they have time and desire. They are also a good remedy for overlays.

@Leo-Unibet There were 18mans tourneys popping in the MTT Lobby every 15mins, starting with 6 or 8, not sure of that, but yeah, it was possible back then.
I'm not going to argue whether or not it is possible now Leo, you know that better certainly. I've seen some new steps scheduled, but I don't think it's much different from what we've had. 

I thought of the DSO sats in that form to be a good starting point to try/test something new before applying it wider. A path cleaner. As @pirahn  says, changes need to be done as the market changes itself. And the more innovative and creative it will be the better. But first, someone should even notice we've stuck at a standstill. In all of my naivety I apologize for wasting your time. Have a nice day everyone :peace:

• Like 3

@Psycho79  There were 18mans tourneys popping in the MTT Lobby every 15mins, starting with 6 or 8, not sure of that, but yeah, it was possible back then.

That sounds like tournaments capped on 18 players that starts at a pre defeined start time. I thought you ment that the qualifier would start as soon as it is e.g. 18 players registered, regardless of what the time is at that point.