"Why unlucky and how to deal with it"

silvert

I strongly ask advanced players to respond to this topic. Many newcomers play for the first time making small progress in the game, but after a while they start to play worse and worse. I ask the pros for advice on how to behave while playing a long game.

Play responsible and only with the money you're comfortable losing. Take regular breaks. Don't get distracted and pay attention to the tables.

These are the first things that came into my mind but I'm sure others can add more important things.

Better to be lucky than good.

You could try these three articles:

https://www.thehendonmob.com/alex_rousso/tournament_poker_therapy_pain_and_heather_graham

Topically enough, written when I was a Unibet ambassador! The link above is to the first article, but you can also find parts 2 and 3 if you click my name on the list of writers on the right. 

Another possibly helpful one - appropriate title given Esir's tagline is this one:

https://www.thehendonmob.com/alex_rousso/id_rather_be_lucky_than_good

You may already know all about luck and variance, but it's always good to have a detailed look at bankroll graphs of money-making players to understand just how swing-y the whole thing can get.

• Like 2

I'm just a casual player which is why my advice is: only play when you feel good about playing and you can afford it.

If you don't have a good time, you don't get good cards or you get unlucky with advantageous hands; just take a break and chill. No need to force yourself to play as it will only cost you money and time while making you feel bad.

• Like 2

ALWAYS look at the play you made, NOT the results. Literally write it down if it helps you. It also works when u get it in poorly (and back in your mind you knew it was bad). If your +ev plays counterfit your -ev plays, the results are worth NOTHING. Once you master this, your result tilt will go away. There are still other tilts, not being able to beat the stake without knowing why, playing a lot but not earning enough $, etc.