play safe or final table

HEBRIDIAN

When you reach the later stages and are approaching the bubble  of a MTT do you try to ensure you make the money or risk going out playing a strong hand.I tend to play my strong hands regardless of position as you will make more final tables this way and increase your winnings over the long term.:smileywink:

I actually tend to loosen up as bubble approaches and play more aggressive. Depends on chip stack, but I like to pressure my opponents. If I'm relatively low in chips however & there's players with less than me, I will try to creep in the money by playing tight. This doesn't mean I'll fold a monster, but I'll fold more speculative and mid range hands in early positions.

I debate
Should I smile like everything's good and pretend that life is great
Or should I let the world see the real me and not hide this pain
I tried to be like the rest of y'all, sorry I just can't
I'ma probably die this way

It depends on the situation. If I already have a healthy stack when the bubble hits I can play hardball, but if I'm just hanging in there as it is I'll probably fold through most of it and hope for good hands on the BB. Another time I might do the exact opposite though. :smileytongue:

@FreedoM wrote:

Learn ICM, pretty much you need to land in the first 3 spots :) to make the most money.

If youre a big stack pick youre spots and if youre small gamble :)

This.

I love winning outright but long term poker strategy should be about winning the most money, not winning the most tournaments - although obviously winning a tournament pays the most in one individual case. Every time you click a button in poker it has a positive or negative expectancy. It's particularly polarised around the bubble but learning ICM will help you make optimal decisions when you're short stacked.

There is a lot to be said about adapting your play too. If a table tightens up around the bubble then I'm going to open up massively. On the other hand if I'm desperately short of chips with no realistic prospect of recovery then I'm prepared to fold into the money if there are others in equally perilous positions.

Formerly known as StartlingGrope

Archived