To infinity and beyond...

sum1gottalose

Hi everyone.

I figured I would start a blog to chronicle my journey from a micro-stakes player to (hopefully) something higher. 

My main aim for this blog is to turn my current 134 euros maybe 10k and then whatever happens after that will be a bonus.

I will be using any profits from my time at the tables to go towards buying my first home. I have money saved up as it is, but any additional funds will surely help :)

I will start off playing NL4 and probably take a fairly aggressive route. Although, I will play this by ear. If I notice my edge is not particuarly high at a limit I will change the number of buy ins in will need. 

I have a full time job and will really only be able to play in the evenings and weekends. But will try to get in roughly 15 hrs a week :)

Rough route for the challenge:

NL4 up to 200 euros

NL10 up to 500

NL 25 up to 1000

NL 50 up to 2000

NL100 up to 5k

NL 200 up to 10k

Will drop down if I lose 3BI at any particular stake. 

Will also try to mix in a few SNGs and tournaments for good measure. I seem to run fairly well at those.

I will make an update tonight when I have completed my first sessions.

Thanks for the kind words guys :)

First day didn't go as planned :(

I played a bit of cash last night and SNGs this morning. All at the the 4 euro level.

Got smashed by all my opponents haha. Literally, was getting coolered all over the place. Although, saying that, I dont think that my play was that great either. 

Will have to re-evaluate how I approach the game at this level. I have kinda forgotten how much people call down with 2nd pair or even K high is one instance haha. So I guess, less bluffing; more value betting. 

Need to tighten up my opens too. Might decide to construct some NL4 opening ranges etc to help me out. Luckily for me, I quite like the studying part of poker. So for now I will try and play a bit this evening to retrieve some of my losses. 

Session: -19 euros

(Might also just stick to cash for the time being too - think I will add in SNGs later on when I have a bigger roll)

First of all GL with your journey! I'm doing a similar challenge myself at this moment, feel free to read about it in my blog on this community ;)

Your first attempt wasn't very succesful, but if you're an experienced player with above average knowledge about the game it might be that you don't adjust enough to the way poker is played at NL4. Playing ABC poker should do the trick. That doesn't mean you can't bluff for instance, but it will often not work in spots where it will work on a higher stake.

You mentioned you'll drop down in stakes when you lost 3 buy ins. I think you can wait longer to drop down. If you have one unlucky night you can easily lose 3 buy ins, but that doesn't mean you can't beat that stake anymore. Right now my BR is about €180, I will move from NL4 to NL10 when I reach €200. According to my bankroll management plan - I stole it from @DaVitsche - I should drop down when I'm at €80. It might be better not to wait that long before dropping down, not sure about that. But moving down if you're at €170 doesn't seem necessary to me. I would like to hear some more opinions about that.

Maybe we'll meet tonight at NL4 ;)

@nightshopper wrote:

First of all GL with your journey! I'm doing a similar challenge myself at this moment, feel free to read about it in my blog on this community ;)

Your first attempt wasn't very succesful, but if you're an experienced player with above average knowledge about the game it might be that you don't adjust enough to the way poker is played at NL4. Playing ABC poker should do the trick. That doesn't mean you can't bluff for instance, but it will often not work in spots where it will work on a higher stake.

You mentioned you'll drop down in stakes when you lost 3 buy ins. I think you can wait longer to drop down. If you have one unlucky night you can easily lose 3 buy ins, but that doesn't mean you can't beat that stake anymore. Right now my BR is about €180, I will move from NL4 to NL10 when I reach €200. According to my bankroll management plan - I stole it from @DaVitsche - I should drop down when I'm at €80. It might be better not to wait that long before dropping down, not sure about that. But moving down if you're at €170 doesn't seem necessary to me. I would like to hear some more opinions about that.

Maybe we'll meet tonight at NL4 ;)

Thanks for the advice, I might take that on board when / if (haha) I move up to NL10. 

Going to go over and check out your blog in a bit :) Ill drop a message to say hi. But good luck with yours too. 

@Rushbie I'll take a break only when I'm tired haha. 

Just figured how to tag people in a post rather than making individual replies. Will make life a lot easier.

------------------------

Anyway....bit of an update. 

Played a session last night when I got home for about an hour was about 1am haha. Again seemed to run pretty poorly and proceeded to my second loss of this blog. 

I actually tightened up my opens and was doing fairly well for the first 30mins. However the doomswitch ensued

- Set loosing to flush draw for 4euros (i need to add the euro symboy to my keyboard)

- Some crazy dude was shoving all over the place with bottom pair on the flop and kept reloading (i guess the good thing about playing at 1am). I flopped top top vs him. Called his flop open shove - obviously he had bottom two and held. 

and a couple of other spots which weren't favourable. But all in all, I don't really want to be results orientated. This is actually what I want - players getting it in bad - I just happen to be on the bad end.

Session 2 -6 euros

-------------------------------------------

Today

Managed to get in approx 2 hrs of play and managed to book a win 🆗

About time really haha. 

Played the same as I did the night previously but ran at expectation 

Made a profit of +14 euros

------------

New blog goals

- Make it more colourful - add pictures

- Record results on excel spreadsheet and post a graph of progress

- Read a poker book - I have read some in the past. Anyone got any good reccomendations for NL4?

Managed to squeeze one more session in last night.

But

this time I decided to play PLO instead. It's a pretty fun game and a lot more action tends to go down at those tables. So had quite a good time.
Ran pretty well, and played well too I would say. Managed to book my second win on the blog. Never had to re-buy at any of these tables either!

PLO.thumb.jpg.cbba671a1a34e211aae7a9ea6ae91429.jpg

People seem to overvalue their hands in PLO so just played fairly snug to build up a few stacks :)

After this session, I am finally over starting roll size!!

Roll now at: e143.99

Onwards and upwards

Got bored of doing my work for tomorrow, so decided to put in an hour at the tables. No Limit holdem this time. Decided to go back to it to work on my game, as generally more NL games run. So think it will be best going forward, although I will look to mix in some PLO still.

Won roughly e5

Bringing the BR to:

br1.png.f9226f9f8efb40edaf316bc2c949d474.png

I know it still look measly, but, its a project for me to work on. 

-----

I have downloaded an app on my phone so I can record the sessions. Seems decent - will be a good way to see a visual of the bankrolls movement, and maybe notice patterns in terms of days or time I profit the most. 

-----

Currently reading:

ctm.thumb.png.811f3ac461dcec6c571ff92e3e696cf1.png

I guess this book is slightly outdated, but stil. I will try to build up a whole wealth of knowledge. Too much reading wont hurt right?

Will play again tomorrow night for a few hours. 

GL everyone :)

Finished a quick session at NL4

The bankroll is climbing!

-------

Session was going okay, but made one terrible hero call on the river. I guess something I shouldn't be doing at NL4 as pepole are seldom bluffing. So if it was not for the following, my session would have been breakevenish.

bigwin.thumb.png.3dd7d5e89ca86f3b0a8dc6e7912ae440.png

The vacant place to my left was filled with a very loose player. Managed to smash out a profit with lots of all ins with a better hand every time. Never had to come from behind :)

Wish they could be at my table all the time haha.

-------------

BR currently sitting at:

br2.png.dae628b6ac4cbd48ec21166548c1dd09.png

Hopefully, I wont have to wait too long before I start to take shots at NL10. No pressure. Good things come to those who wait.

GL everyone :)

Archived