To be or not to be an ALIAS user

GR1ZZL3R

Some, notably @Brocky and @MetalWolf seem to have no problem playing full time with their true community alias and I'm considering using it in my new year challenge. I have no problem using it in the fun comm. freerolls, but what do you think the pros and cons are of players knowing who they are playing, and in some cases knowing they are playing a full time pro?

"It turns out that 75% of all poker players think they play better than the other 75%."     image.png.99a4e82708d54abfc527324e8836768e.png

Information is everything in poker so in my opinion playing anonymously has a bigger benefit then playing with the same user name.

If people notice your weaknesses or patterns they will exploit them. 

So unless you can mix up your game it's better to play anonymously.

Better to be lucky than good.

I love unibet for the fact it doesnt allow HUDs and certain softwares, using the same alias full time if you are a winning player will only hurt you against any competent player unless they are also playing using their regular alias.

Imagine being deep in the sunday Supernova or a decent satellite etc and using 1 username and any other competent player has 100x more info on you than you have on them - dont put yourself in that position just for the sake of being known as a crusher on Unibet.

I have been pondering this for a long time now and am not entirely sure but what I do know is I only ever play under one alias and am €10500 for the year, of which €4500 has been online at Unibet. I think if you play cash at higher levels you will be at a disadvantage and better players will soon work you out as you play a high volume amount of hands against the same people. In tournaments both high and low I think the advantage lies with one alias as long as you have a solid reputation. I 100% feel that people play differently and more conservatively against me. This is escpecially noticeable in UOS grinds and satellites. Good winning players who I expect will do one thing against me then surprise me by making a weak play. I get to see cards and rivers which I know I shouldn’t be allowed to see. Is this because I’m a winning player and they don’t want to take risks in big pots against solid players when there will be easier spots? I don’t know, I’m trying not to come across as bigging myself up here because I’m not brilliant and I have a lot to learn but I am a winning player and I suspect that intimidation changes people’s play against me. Whatever the reason there is defo a change of style when some players who know me take me on. My reputation is to be quite gambly and someone who loves a hero call and with that in mind I suspect people change their game.

It would be interesting if I played a year under different aliases what my profit would be but I like people to know it’s me. I like having the link between the community and the table and it never seems to hinder the likes of Ian Simpson who regularly wins the Sputnik etc is his advantage also that people know it’s him? 

Information is key in poker but so is adapting.  If someone sees me overbet bluff, then under my same alias I can adapt my future overbets to be weighted more towards nutted hands.  Having balanced ranges generally negates this need to switch aliases imo.

Go ahead guys, there are several community members I already exploited due to them only using one alias playing SNGs or MTTs. 🤣 Either because of their leaks or because of stuff they posted here on the community...

We're gonna win on so many levels! We're gonna win, win, win. You're gonna get so tired of winning, you're gonna say: "Mr. President please, we don't wanna win anymore, it's too much!" And I'm gonna say: "I'm sorry, we're gonna keep winning because we're gonna make America great again!"

It looks to me like there is a majority going down the changing alias side but the better players don't mind who knows what they play like. Seeing as I'm still in the micros I'll settle for anonymity.😃

"It turns out that 75% of all poker players think they play better than the other 75%."     image.png.99a4e82708d54abfc527324e8836768e.png

• 1 month later...

Archived