The insurance against being a bubble-boy.

Karabas

Hi!
I'm tired of being a constant bubble-boy. I propose to make insurance against this. At the end of late registration all interested players can choose whether they want to buy insurance (for an example of 1/10 of the buy-in). The entire prize pool takes the bubble-boy. This can bring more dynamics to the game in the late stages. What do you think about it?

But what if suggestion goes through and you find yourself being bubbleboy of the bubbleboy constantly after that? Do you want insurance for that position too then? 

You could also try to change playing style a bit if something happens over and over again :)

• Like 5

Interesting but a fair point from @Livertool how far down do you want the insurance to go? There would probably be quite a few going all in on the bubble just to make something back, completely changing the dynamics and good bubble play. While we're at it why not have insurance against being the first out?  You might have even more all ins on the first hand than there are now! 🤣

• Like 3

"It turns out that 75% of all poker players think they play better than the other 75%."     image.png.99a4e82708d54abfc527324e8836768e.png

It would be great having and option (similar to the make a deal at FT option) when you could offer % of your winnings to the bubble boy. For example when the blinds are too high and it's poor gamble who will finish ITM then if everyone accepts it then pp would be reduced with the sum of one buyin and bubble boy would get it.

I'm sorry but I just don't get this at all. :sad:

Let's say the final 9 get paid, there are ten players left, so the next out is "bubble boy" and leaves with nothing. Now you're saying 10th place should get some sort of consolation. In that case when 11 players are left, the next one out is "bubble boy" and leaves with nothing. How is that any different except for the amount of money paid out to the first person to lose in the payout places and the number of places paid? :wonder:

"It turns out that 75% of all poker players think they play better than the other 75%."     image.png.99a4e82708d54abfc527324e8836768e.png

@Livertool wrote:

But what if suggestion goes through and you find yourself being bubbleboy of the bubbleboy constantly after that? Do you want insurance for that position too then? 

Please, stop trolling! This is a serious issue.

giphy

• Like 1
We're gonna win on so many levels! We're gonna win, win, win. You're gonna get so tired of winning, you're gonna say: "Mr. President please, we don't wanna win anymore, it's too much!" And I'm gonna say: "I'm sorry, we're gonna keep winning because we're gonna make America great again!"

No, there is only one bubble boy, the original, who can get the buyin back. Others are at least 2 steps from the original payout. This situation may happen especially in live MTT's when blinds are too high, people are tired and it's poor gamble who will survive. Giving the buyin back to the possible bubble boy can speed up the game and decrease the chance receiving nothing after many hours of play.

I just think there is something wrong with his playing if he often is bubbleboy. Playing too safe too early trying to get prices or smthg and i don't think adding more prices helps with that.

I never have issues with bubble. Either i am long gone or chipleader 🤣

• Like 1

But what i would like to see (not going to even suggest it cause it won't happen) is to have atleast split pot if winner got just few outs before river hits. Just remove too much luck effect in the game. I don't even like to win that way not mention about losing :D

• Like 1

@Livertool wrote:

But what i would like to see (not going to even suggest it cause it won't happen) is to have atleast split pot if winner got just few outs before river hits. Just remove too much luck effect in the game. I don't even like to win that way not mention about losing :D

I'm around bubble boy very often. I play too safe(ish) and blinds usually eat my chips..

• Like 2

@psrquack wrote:

@Livertool wrote:

I'm around bubble boy very often. I play too safe(ish) and blinds usually eat my chips..

If you're bubble boy too often, then as you suggest, you may be playing too safe earlier, something I've been guilty of in the past and still sometimes today. There's nothing worse than being slowly blinded out due to inactivity and then not having a big enough stack to make someone fold when you shove, being called with any old "tat" and feeling 0lucky. Get in there and make some plays earlier, don't be that "rock" that bubbles every time and ultimately comes away with nothing. :teardrop:

Anyway, it's not going to happen. 😏

• Like 2

Some figures to illustrate. Let's take completed Supernova for example: registered players 232, buy-in €100, prize pool €20880. If insurance will cost 1/10 part of bi it's €10. You need only 4.3% of players to buy insurance in order to get back buy-in. If there will be 10% you take 2.32 of bi, as 16-20 places, and so on. 20% it's a 4.64 of bi or 8th place, 30% it's a 6.96 of bi or 7th place, 50% it's a one bi less then 5th place, and, finally, 100% is equal to the 3rd place! Are you still laughing?

@Karabas wrote:

Some figures to illustrate. Let's take completed Supernova for example: registered players 232, buy-in €100, prize pool €20880. If insurance will cost 1/10 part of bi it's €10. You need only 4.3% of players to buy insurance in order to get back buy-in. If there will be 10% you take 2.32 of bi, as 16-20 places, and so on. 20% it's a 4.64 of bi or 8th place, 30% it's a 6.96 of bi or 7th place, 50% it's a one bi less then 5th place, and, finally, 100% is equal to the 3rd place! Are you still laughing?

giphy

Why would any sane person pay a 10 % premium for something that, in this case, has a 1/232 or 0.43% chance of happening?

• Like 1
We're gonna win on so many levels! We're gonna win, win, win. You're gonna get so tired of winning, you're gonna say: "Mr. President please, we don't wanna win anymore, it's too much!" And I'm gonna say: "I'm sorry, we're gonna keep winning because we're gonna make America great again!"

It's what's baffling me and @WuDu, asking players to voluntarily pay extra to spread the payouts one further place down. If you're bubble boy regularly it's an issue which needs addessing rather than asking other players to bail you out. :wonder:

high quality GIF

• Like 4