Technical poker issue on the 15th of April 2020 and continuing issues

Stubbe-Unibet

This will be the dedicated thread for updates on the current poker issues.

UPDATE: For the intermittent issues on the 17th (and 18th if it continues), please write the refund requests in this thread and include at least the tournament name/id and buyin.

UPDATE 2 (18/04 15:15 CEST): No attacks since 10am today and no significant impact since last night around 22:00 CEST. I hope to have a new estimate soon, on the last MTT's of the 15th. Again, sorry this has taken some time to get sorted! Appreciate your patience!

UPDATE 3 (18/04 16:26): We were hit again 16:22. If you could wait with the refunds requests until the issue is over, it'd be very much appreciated - so you can put everything in one post. If you think you'll be playing again later today, wait until you're done for the day and write a post, should we experience further attacks. Please include tournament ID's. Tournaments were paused after 5 minutes or so and then cancelled according to the cancellation policy.

UPDATE 4: Please write refund requests here https://www.unibetcommunity.com/t5/General-Poker/Poker-refund-requests-thread/m-p/323816#M47997

UPDATE 5 (19/04/2020 02:07): MTT refunds for the 15th have now been paid in full - or we've actually paid 50 % more than we should, due to the two rounds of refunds. Apologies for the delay.

On the evening of the 15th, starting at 21:58 CEST, the ISP of our poker provider experienced a DDOS attack - this wasn't an attack targeted at us specifically; a lot of bookmakers use this ISP. This unfortunately resulted in a wide range of issues and the vast majority of players were unable to continue playing. The main issues were:

• Cash game stacks stuck at table
  • Tournaments kept on running during the issue with players being affected to different extents

The cash game stacks were returned within a few hours, with very few exceptions. Last transaction went through before noon on the following day.

It is very unfortunate that we failed to pause the tournaments, and for that I'm deeply sorry. Services didn't return back to normal before 23:00 CET. After some internal discussions we decided to put all tournaments on a break, cancel upcoming MTT's and disable creation of new SNG's and HexaPro's, in order to eventually cancel everything still running. We weren't sure if the issues would return, and there wasn't much point in letting the tournaments run after an hour with issues anyway. Around midnight we managed to cancel all the running tournaments, and refunds were automatically paid according to the cancellation policy (see the bottom of this post).

Now, applying the cancellation policy after an hour of issues obviously doesn't work, when tournaments have been running. As we couldn't reach the servers ourselves, it wasn't possible to pause things - we're looking into an improved automatic pausing of tournaments in DDOS cases and similar. We decided to do the cancellation when services were back, to at least pay some refunds right away. This was an expensive decision, as we were always going to also apply the cancellation policy at the time that the issue started, which I confirmed around 1am in the dedicated thread. We made it clear early on that it'd take some time, as it's a manual process, and I stated we'd be issuing further refunds by tomorrow (today). We've been working on this as the top priority, and it's worth mentioning that a considerably bigger site recently took more than a week to issue similar refunds. Some of the work done this time will make the process smoother in the future, should a similar issue occur.

Today at 18:04 I paid all refunds for SNG's and HexaPro's as well as a few MTT's. There're still around 50 MTT's we aren't done with; please have some patience with us. We hope we'll manage to get it done tonight. Again, refunds have been paid according the the tournament cancellation policy. We just paid a lot extra, as we both applied the cancellation policy at the start of and the end of the issue (we did deduct refunds given in the 1st round, when doing the 2nd round).

It's always difficult when these things happen, and I wish I could reply to every single one of you, but I'd need 10 clones for that to be possible (and I wouldn't be able to say a lot anyway). I hope you understand why I stated on multiple occasions that we wouldn't look at any requests submitted prior to us being done with the refunds. Manually looking at cases, when everything will be done in bulk within 48 hours, that'd just be an insane waste of time and postpone things for everyone else.

So, all refunds for the issue the 15th in regards to HexaPro's and SNG's have been paid and if you believe you're missing something, please let us know in this thread, but please, please, please first read and understand the below cancellation policy. MTT comments will be "ignored" until we've done the last batch of refunds.

The DDOS attacks continue and despite the mitigaton efforts there's still some impact. We're constantly monitoring the situation. If the issue persists, we'll do our best to pause and cancel tournaments - as we did a few hours ago. Please also be prepared for changes to the tournament schedule, as we might have to remove some of the biggest tournaments. Believe me when I say that I - and I'm sure I can speak on behalf of everyone involved in the poker product - would love to be doing other stuff than dealing with issues at 1am, Friday evening and in the weekend. I understand you're frustrated - even if it's a freeroll you played - but we are truly doing everything we can not to have your experiences impacted by the attack.

Tournament Cancellation Policy

In the unfortunate event of a multi-table or Sit & Go tournament being cancelled due to a problem in the Unibet poker software these rules will kick in depending on the state of the tournament.

52. The tournament is canceled before the start:

• The players will be refunded the tournament buy-in and fee in full including any multientries. In case of registration by a ticket, this ticket will be re-credited.

53. The tournament has started but players are not “in the money yet” (reached the prizes):

• The remaining players will be refunded their fee including re-buy and add-on fees.
  • The player supplied pot is split into two equal pools. The first pool will be distributed equally between all remaining players. The second pool will be distributed between all players in proportion to their chip count.
  • Exception: if the Tournament is a freeroll the added prize pool is divided even if it's not a player supplied pot.

54. The tournament has started and players are “in the money” (have reached the prizes):

• The remaining players will be refunded their fee including re-buy and add-on fees.
  • If players are not on the final table each player will receive the lowest remaining prize and the rest of the pot is distributed in proportion to their chip count.
  • If players are on final table the prize pool will be redistributed according to the ICM (Independent Chip Model) chop, if they are in the money.
  • If the tournament paid out non-monetary values, (like tickets, freespins or seats), the prize pool will be converted to regular funds and distributed accordingly.

In the unfortunate event of a HexaPro tournament being cancelled due to a problem in the Unibet poker software these rules will kick in:

55. HexaPro tournament cancellation policy

• The fee is returned for all remaining players
  • All remaining players receive 10% of the prize pool
  • Remaining prize pool is distributed according to ICM (Independent Chip Model) chop.

If cancelled tournament is a bounty tournament then player is given his own bounty value.

We reserve the right to alter cancellation payouts or to alter this policy.

In case of disputes, Unibet management decision will be final.

• Like 14

Check the latest poker release notes. Have a look at our poker promotions

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@MaxiJazz10, the plan is for all tournaments to run tonight. We've cancelled the 10k Neptune but won't make any changes to the homegames. I obviously can't promise that everything will run smoothly.

@Nat_poker18, @Andy-Unibet will look into it for you :)

@Charlie123, should be working fine now. Cash game transactions will appear eventually, there's just a delay.

@Thurddzz, sorry mate, but I can't keep on repeating myself. I'll just copy paste from the post you replied to :)

"MTT comments will be "ignored" until we've done the last batch of refunds."

"It's always difficult when these things happen, and I wish I could reply to every single one of you, but I'd need 10 clones for that to be possible (and I wouldn't be able to say a lot anyway). I hope you understand why I stated on multiple occasions that we wouldn't look at any requests submitted prior to us being done with the refunds. Manually looking at cases, when everything will be done in bulk within 48 hours, that'd just be an insane waste of time and postpone things for everyone else."

• Like 3

Check the latest poker release notes. Have a look at our poker promotions

@Andy7914  lol, its not even close to Black Friday. :D 

Just need to be patient and let them do their job, not spread negativity and bad wibes like that. I've experienced diferent kind of scaming out of money through my poker carrier. This is nothing. The fact that Unibet support replys and explains the situation as much as they do, is more that most sites would. On most sites there would be a reply of some sort in 2-3 days or even in a week. There wouldnt be any replys to players individually that I can see here. So just take a chill pill, read a book or drink a beer and catch up with your sitcoms, spend some time with your family, w/e. Its very unprofitable for them to be offline like this anyways so it is their interest as ours to be online asap. Im sure they are doing best they can. + they are refunding very -ev for them anyways. So canceling things or keeping things like this is them losing a lot of money and money they expect to earn in this time. 

Cheers

• Like 3