cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Rank 16
Rank 16

@Magicadil wrote:

Alias with profanity usually show lack of creativity. Plus it's a good indicator of the type of person they are in real life. Do you think for example a person that creates a fake twitter just to troll is likely to be an outstanding person outside the internet? Unlikely.

I have no problem with offensive alias', that's your right. Just don't make excuses as to why you have it. Be honest and say 'I'm immature and can't really come up with anything better'


I think this is quite a lazy argument. I used to be a full time journalist and I've spent years working with people in the media. In my experience the best and most creative people were usually the most profane. Profanity often adds an extra dimension to language and if it's used well then it can be brilliant.

There are plenty of people who are clearly stupid, immature or mean (and in those cases it becomes pointless getting offended by them) but, in my opinion, written language can be hugely enriched with a nice bit of creative swearing.

Formerly known as StartlingGrope
Reply
Highlighted
Rank 15
Rank 15

@StartlingGrope wrote:

I think this is quite a lazy argument. I used to be a full time journalist and I've spent years working with people in the media. In my experience the best and most creative people were usually the most profane. Profanity often adds an extra dimension to language and if it's used well then it can be brilliant.


I agree with this HeartHeartsHeart. ^

Reply
Highlighted
Rank 18
Rank 18

@Magicadil wrote:

Alias with profanity usually show lack of creativity. Plus it's a good indicator of the type of person they are in real life. Do you think for example a person that creates a fake twitter just to troll is likely to be an outstanding person outside the internet? Unlikely.

I have no problem with offensive alias', that's your right. Just don't make excuses as to why you have it. Be honest and say 'I'm immature and can't really come up with anything better'


I think some people would find this type of stereotyping quite offensive.

Reply
Highlighted
Rank 22
Rank 22

@StartlingGrope wrote:

@Magicadil wrote:

Alias with profanity usually show lack of creativity. Plus it's a good indicator of the type of person they are in real life. Do you think for example a person that creates a fake twitter just to troll is likely to be an outstanding person outside the internet? Unlikely.

I have no problem with offensive alias', that's your right. Just don't make excuses as to why you have it. Be honest and say 'I'm immature and can't really come up with anything better'


I think this is quite a lazy argument. I used to be a full time journalist and I've spent years working with people in the media. In my experience the best and most creative people were usually the most profane. Profanity often adds an extra dimension to language and if it's used well then it can be brilliant.

There are plenty of people who are clearly stupid, immature or mean (and in those cases it becomes pointless getting offended by them) but, in my opinion, written language can be hugely enriched with a nice bit of creative swearing.


Shhhh, don't hurt his feelings...

We're gonna win on so many levels! We're gonna win, win, win. You're gonna get so tired of winning, you're gonna say: "Mr. President please, we don't wanna win anymore, it's too much!" And I'm gonna say: "I'm sorry, we're gonna keep winning because we're gonna make America great again!"
Reply
Highlighted
Rank 20
Rank 20

I hope this is not Christmas wish Rofl

LICK-MY-B4LL.png

Reply
Highlighted
Rank 11
Rank 11

Today I find that this username ....AllahAKbar69 is offessive in todays world

Is this deemed offessive or am i just wrong  to ask fro it to be removed ?

BadName.jpg

0 Likes
Reply
Highlighted
Rank 24
Rank 24

@Karl wrote:

Today I find that this username ....AllahAKbar69 is offessive in todays world

Is this deemed offessive or am i just wrong  to ask fro it to be removed ?


Personally don't think Takbir is offensive at all. Do you find "GodIsGreater" or "OdinIsTheGreatest" offensive too? Smile

Former community manager. Used to be known as "Stubbe-Unibet" | Bundesliga blog | How NOT to play poker blog
0 Likes
Reply
Highlighted
Rank 18
Rank 18

@Karl wrote:

Today I find that this username ....AllahAKbar69 is offessive in todays world

Is this deemed offessive or am i just wrong  to ask fro it to be removed ?

The simple answer is your wrong.

What is confusing is from what perspective do you find it offensive ?



 

0 Likes
Reply
Highlighted
Rank 11
Rank 11

@BonusPater"Personally don't think Takbir is offensive at all. Do you find "GodIsGreater" or "OdinIsTheGreatest" offensive too?"

No....but what I see is that this user is hijacking a gesture used by terrorists before they blow up, and also using a Arab avartar.

But where I'm touchy about it is the fact that why is this user using the term " AllahAKbar69 as a player name, when clearly the AllahAkbar is often heard before a terrorist act or heard between members of the islam community discussions.

I can understand that some users would use an offensive name to provoke angry play that may result in losses from "angry" players, I know people from all walks of life see "Allakbar" differently from each others perspective, but myself I think is that the gesture is often thought of as dominating terrorist saying that before innocent people die.

It's one of those things that can be seen as offensive and then in another way is not.

To me it is, if more people say the same as I do, then it is only right that it should be removed ?

I am mildly offended but thought that I make you aware of the user name.

 

 

 

 

0 Likes
Reply
Highlighted
Rank 24
Rank 24

@Karl, I hear what you say, but what you're calling "a gesture used by terrorists before they blow up", is an extremely common phrase in the muslim world. It's said billions of times every day, and the fact that some crazy individuals sometimes say it before they commit a terrible crime, doesn't make it a bad phrase in any way. As mentioned in the previous post, it simply means that god is the greatest/god is greater. If you walk in the street in e.g. Turkey, you'll hear the phrase multiple times a day, including when the muezzin do the adhan (called ezan in Turkey, I believe). You might very well be right that the name is chosen to offend other players, as it's misspelled (the phrase is Allāhu akbar, not Allah Akbar). We can't know this for sure though, and even if we knew, we can't just ban a common phrase because it's in Arabic and sometimes used by lunatics. If we were to ban this, we should ban thousands of other phrases that could possibly be seen as offensive by a minority. 

Happy new year Smile

Former community manager. Used to be known as "Stubbe-Unibet" | Bundesliga blog | How NOT to play poker blog
Reply