Report username inappropriate

polarbear

@FeelsBadMan wrote:

@mirc wrote:

I wanted to make alias next2meisgay  or fishinainteasy  or some other bull❤️♥️❤️ nicks ,so i can tilt people and get in their heads to play badly agains me . So by this definition someone will be offended by my nick, cmon people dont be so sensitive. Poker is a mind game so if some gets in your head that easy you should probably quit now.

What? No! Poker is not about offending your opponent, if you sit at a live table and you start swearing at everyone or saying racial slurs or whatnot you will likely get kicked out. That being said nicknames with crafty little jabs at your opponents are funny and I don't think they should go on a banning spree over this, but some people just put their nickname as n-word or kill n-words.  There needs to be some sort of limit ... you want to tilt your opponent not just make them leave with their money elsewhere. 

I was really upset when you had JonnyCantWinAFlip as an alias when I had that bad run :)

Aliases with a bit of friendly banter are the best.

• Like 2
You can exchange UO tickets again all is unicorns and rainbows in Unibet land.

I genuinely think that being offended by any username says as much about your own character as the person with the problematic alias. I'd happily have no censorship whatsoever. That said, I have been known to boundary push my aliases from time to time so I may be biased.

• Like 4
Formerly known as StartlingGrope

@StartlingGrope wrote:

I genuinely think that being offended by any username says as much about your own character as the person with the problematic alias. I'd happily have no censorship whatsoever. That said, I have been known to boundary push my aliases from time to time so I may be biased.

White heterosexual males as me (and maybe you) has rarely any problems with this but every one else suffers from bigotry, racism , patriarchy etc on a daily basis. So I genuinely think that should be avoided here.

• Like 1
The price of hating other human beings is loving oneself less.
-Eldridge Cleaver

@PokerAndBetting wrote:

White heterosexual males as me (and maybe you) has rarely any problems with this but every one else suffers from bigotry, racism , patriarchy etc on a daily basis. So I genuinely think that should be avoided here.

Aids Skrillex is that you?

We're gonna win on so many levels! We're gonna win, win, win. You're gonna get so tired of winning, you're gonna say: "Mr. President please, we don't wanna win anymore, it's too much!" And I'm gonna say: "I'm sorry, we're gonna keep winning because we're gonna make America great again!"

The guy in the vid is 100% correct.

Thanks for linking. I'm going to use this line when someone says racism doesn't exsist 'YOURE A WHITE MALE'

I debate
Should I smile like everything's good and pretend that life is great
Or should I let the world see the real me and not hide this pain
I tried to be like the rest of y'all, sorry I just can't
I'ma probably die this way

@PokerAndBetting wrote:

@StartlingGrope wrote:

While I think it's important to reflect on white, male, heterosexual privilege I think the issue here is more about censorship and what you seek to gain by implementing it. There are so many different combinations to make the word of your choice that it's effectively a pointless exercise. It just becomes a game of cat and mouse as the offender picks another similar name. Most of them - just like most insults - are predictably dull anyway.

Perhaps the solution is to issue five pre-approved names that they're not allowed to change. One warning for crossing the line and then restrictions on aliases if it happens again.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Agree with @ChapInAChair on how to handle this. Creating a blacklist must become a full time job. What about offensive words in different languages etc. It becomes a challenge and a mission for those wanting to offend. We could get creative on their asses. If its a homophobic alias we could assign them aliases such as "peter tatchell" or "ilovec..k", Any suggestions ?

• Like 3

Well, I'm dissapointed. Scrolled through the thread and none of my aliases are here. I have really clever ones, at least until they ban "beach, bitsh, but, h8, fu, fyou, fyall, sak, suk, sukc, dump, stjupid, sh1". But if you ban that, please ban also all the 'fish', 'newb' aliases, all 'hunters', 'killers', etc.

If you need any more ideas, let me know. I'm glad to ban anything and everything except Iamhappy, Iloveyou, sunshine99 and unibet1323. But don't forget to ban 'unibut'.That's offensive to everyone...

• Like 4

@Hammerfalls wrote:

Well, I'm dissapointed. Scrolled through the thread and none of my aliases are here. I have really clever ones, at least until they ban "beach, bitsh, but, h8, fu, fyou, fyall, sak, suk, sukc, dump, stjupid, sh1". But if you ban that, please ban also all the 'fish', 'newb' aliases, all 'hunters', 'killers', etc.

If you need any more ideas, let me know. I'm glad to ban anything and everything except Iamhappy, Iloveyou, sunshine99 and unibet1323. But don't forget to ban 'unibut'.That's offensive to everyone...

@Hammerfalls

How dare you not ban Iamhappy, what a microaggression towards the sad people! How can you be so intolerant towards the unloved and people without relatives and a partner to even think about allowing Iloveyou? Sunshine99? Are you out of your mind? You better check your privilege and stop being so scandinaviphobic during the winter months. I demand randomly, computer-generated numbers.

Reminds me of one of my favorite South Park episodes:ODyL5RP.png.d9ee6ae7c9e53372c6e74a8a9d43df86.png

We're gonna win on so many levels! We're gonna win, win, win. You're gonna get so tired of winning, you're gonna say: "Mr. President please, we don't wanna win anymore, it's too much!" And I'm gonna say: "I'm sorry, we're gonna keep winning because we're gonna make America great again!"

Alias with profanity usually show lack of creativity. Plus it's a good indicator of the type of person they are in real life. Do you think for example a person that creates a fake twitter just to troll is likely to be an outstanding person outside the internet? Unlikely.

I have no problem with offensive alias', that's your right. Just don't make excuses as to why you have it. Be honest and say 'I'm immature and can't really come up with anything better'

• Like 2
I debate
Should I smile like everything's good and pretend that life is great
Or should I let the world see the real me and not hide this pain
I tried to be like the rest of y'all, sorry I just can't
I'ma probably die this way

@Magicadil wrote:

Alias with profanity usually show lack of creativity. Plus it's a good indicator of the type of person they are in real life. Do you think for example a person that creates a fake twitter just to troll is likely to be an outstanding person outside the internet? Unlikely.

I have no problem with offensive alias', that's your right. Just don't make excuses as to why you have it. Be honest and say 'I'm immature and can't really come up with anything better'

I think this is quite a lazy argument. I used to be a full time journalist and I've spent years working with people in the media. In my experience the best and most creative people were usually the most profane. Profanity often adds an extra dimension to language and if it's used well then it can be brilliant.

There are plenty of people who are clearly stupid, immature or mean (and in those cases it becomes pointless getting offended by them) but, in my opinion, written language can be hugely enriched with a nice bit of creative swearing.

• Like 3

@StartlingGrope wrote:

I think this is quite a lazy argument. I used to be a full time journalist and I've spent years working with people in the media. In my experience the best and most creative people were usually the most profane. Profanity often adds an extra dimension to language and if it's used well then it can be brilliant.

I agree with this ❤️♥️❤️. ^

• Like 1

@Magicadil wrote:

I think some people would find this type of stereotyping quite offensive.

• Like 2

@StartlingGrope wrote:

@Magicadil wrote:

There are plenty of people who are clearly stupid, immature or mean (and in those cases it becomes pointless getting offended by them) but, in my opinion, written language can be hugely enriched with a nice bit of creative swearing.

Shhhh, don't hurt his feelings...

• Like 1

@Karl wrote:

Today I find that this username ....AllahAKbar69 is offessive in todays world

Is this deemed offessive or am i just wrong  to ask fro it to be removed ?

Personally don't think Takbir is offensive at all. Do you find "GodIsGreater" or "OdinIsTheGreatest" offensive too? :)

@Karl wrote:

Today I find that this username ....AllahAKbar69 is offessive in todays world

Is this deemed offessive or am i just wrong  to ask fro it to be removed ?

The simple answer is your wrong.

What is confusing is from what perspective do you find it offensive ?

@testuser1"Personally don't think Takbir is offensive at all. Do you find "GodIsGreater" or "OdinIsTheGreatest" offensive too?"

No....but what I see is that this user is hijacking a gesture used by terrorists before they blow up, and also using a Arab avartar.

But where I'm touchy about it is the fact that why is this user using the term " AllahAKbar69 as a player name, when clearly the AllahAkbar is often heard before a terrorist act or heard between members of the islam community discussions.

I can understand that some users would use an offensive name to provoke angry play that may result in losses from "angry" players, I know people from all walks of life see "Allakbar" differently from each others perspective, but myself I think is that the gesture is often thought of as dominating terrorist saying that before innocent people die.

It's one of those things that can be seen as offensive and then in another way is not.

To me it is, if more people say the same as I do, then it is only right that it should be removed ?

I am mildly offended but thought that I make you aware of the user name.

@Karl, I hear what you say, but what you're calling "a gesture used by terrorists before they blow up", is an extremely common phrase in the muslim world. It's said billions of times every day, and the fact that some crazy individuals sometimes say it before they commit a terrible crime, doesn't make it a bad phrase in any way. As mentioned in the previous post, it simply means that god is the greatest/god is greater. If you walk in the street in e.g. Turkey, you'll hear the phrase multiple times a day, including when the muezzin do the adhan (called ezan in Turkey, I believe). You might very well be right that the name is chosen to offend other players, as it's misspelled (the phrase is Allāhu akbar, not Allah Akbar). We can't know this for sure though, and even if we knew, we can't just ban a common phrase because it's in Arabic and sometimes used by lunatics. If we were to ban this, we should ban thousands of other phrases that could possibly be seen as offensive by a minority. 

Happy new year :)

• Like 2