Preflop raise

RedHotChiliP

I´ve started to learn, the hard way, that 3 and 4bb isn´t enough to get players off the hand early on. As an example, I played the €10 shooting star (or was it fireball) and raised 4bb with AK and got called by A3s, stack bigger than me. He flopped a 3, check check, then came the ace, and the rest is history, I busted. (Not bothering about what the blinds were in this particular hand. It´s just very common to get lots of calls here no matter what in the early levels.

So now, in the €5 Singularity, I am chip-leader and I got AK early pos. My stack is 5216, blinds are 20/40. I decide to raise the 216, so more than 5 bb. I still got 3 calls. Hit the King on flop, along with a Jack and a 2, I potraise, one fold, one call and she´s then all in, one fold. 

She had J3off and, of course, has to try for midpair. 

I wonder what the other guys had. The fold came fast, there was a flushdraw but I guess noone had THAT suit. 

So more than 5bb raise from chip-leader is not enough either, not even for getting a J3off to fold. I guess it´s a good thing in the long run, but man it sucks when AQs on the button, 4bb raise loses to J10 in sb... Noone folds top pair, that´s for sure. 

:laugh:

How many ways can you polish up a turd?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You already answered your question in the last paragraph, its mega +ev in the long run for those bad hands to call against your range. . I would brush up on your post flop skills though as you are probably making a few mistakes there judging by the two hands you mentioned.

Good luck at the tables in future. 

I am just a human, the same way a Great White Shark is just a fish.

Thanks! 

First of all - What does it mean; mega +ev ?

Yeah, the AQ vs J10 I should definitely have played differnetly. Just check and fold basically.

But the AK vs A3, I did check the flop since I hit nada, maybe a wrong move,  but even a half pot raise or potraise, I don´t think the other guy would have fold after hitting that low pair, and with the ace, I´m trapped more or less.

I do tend to bust with good hands that doesn´t hit, early on, if my mood/patience is not in Zen - hahaha. 

Good luck you too! @Dowelikestew

1946031913_ScreenShot2018-04-15at02_20_53.thumb.png.4c9c0813adbea718c438e321df87f3bc.png

After playing tight, being chip-leader for quite a while and building more stack as chip leader, this happens. I raise 3bb approx, other guy shoves with AK, and rivers an ace. A few hands later he involves himself with K7off from sb and get to steal some more, but the last hand is my favorite. He min bets from utg, I shove A6 from BB (I had 12bb, he 36ish). He thinks for a split second, than calls with A7. 

To me, NOT a call, the way I have played the whole tourney. 

The AK, NOT a push on chip leader with 17bb. 

Do you agree/disagree?

This kind of tournament is not worth the time it takes unless you come first or second.  I could have played €10 sngs and made more money in one hour. 

Nothing wrong with the AK shove, I had a similar spot for a 2k package where I 3bet shoved the KK  to the AK raise and they called and hit the A.

This was for the chip lead and we were the top 2 stacks, It was a Unibet ambassador who made the call so dont was a fishy move if they made it.

You can exchange UO tickets again all is unicorns and rainbows in Unibet land.

Yeah but if you have 17 bb left, isn´t it better to see a flop?

Very likely he is behind with AK to a high pair. Then it´s bingo. No river ace and he´s out. 

It´s not my kind of play, but I know it´s not "wrong" and that a lot of people would say the same as you. Taken into account how I had played every hand up to that point though... it´s a bold move. 

Thanks for the input @jonny2192

How about the other hand ?

The other hand hard to say because that one would be down to the dynamic of the game, fold to some people/call to others/shove versus others. That statement gos for both your hands and the villians. Them kind of spots I find it hard to say what I would do without actually being the one playing it, as so many other things come into play that dont always have anything to do with the hand strength.

Also with the AK people seem to like to shove over opens on Unibet and you end up flipping against hands you wouldnt normally, so sometimes people just open shove to avoid that, I know I do at times.

You can exchange UO tickets again all is unicorns and rainbows in Unibet land.

@RedHotChiliP I personally think you didnt you play the AK badly but novice players would not read you for AK and basically play A and any card. 

The other was probably counting his lucky stars after. 

I got knocked out from the open bounty by the same fellow. Who lucked out twice on me by getting lucky. I didn’t sweat it because it was a freeroll for one and secondly I didn’t play badly. 

I think you just got a bad beat but like all players those who don’t study or seek to improve their game won’t. Chin up buddy luck may win the battle but the skilled tactician wins the war. 

@RedHotChiliP I disagree on AK not being a push, with 17bb you dont wanna se a flop with AK since u will miss the board about 70% of the time vs any two and even more if opponent have a blocker so you will have to give it up to aggression and therefore not be able to realise your equity. When pushing he will have 40% even against a calling range of TT+, AK and if we make the opponents calling range AQ+, TT+ he get 50/50 so unless there is icm considerations brought to the equation I think it is a correct shove.

The A7 is a bit tougher thats in the lower end of his calling range but if he assumes you are shoving correctly from the bb he should accually call here. Whitout reads or vs a weaker player in a 5 eur mtt I could definatly argue for a  fold though.

What @triceraatopp mentioned indeed :)

With AK and 17BB you never want to see a flop. This hand is strong and is 48%+ everytime except against AA or KK. If you see a flop and you miss it, you will most likely need to fold against a raise which looses you more.

So a push is the only way to go there imo. When you have 17BB it's not anymore a matter of how the big stack (you) played the entire game :) On the opposite, in the late game the big stack will start putting pressure more often resulting in a wider range that he has for you :)

I see now that the circumstances of ones birth are irrelevant... It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.

No prob @RedHotChiliPI love discussing hands:) U should play around with different ranges in a calculator, I use pokercruncher as an app for android and its really good, would definatly recomend it, u can save how many ranges u want and calculate all from raw equity of a specific holding vs another to how often u will hit a pair/straight/royal flush draw with a selected range :) 

Haha feel ya, imo people should not call with aces when I shove on them but they keep telling me its correct anyway so we always end up in a agree to disagree situation :Rofl:

Judging his terrified face and the fact that he is about to eat his cards i would say he has flush and fears full house but decides to make the call. He sees quads and f words flying, mouse crushed and little drop of mustard in his undies?

So this guy played basically every hand up until this point, blinds are 30/60, he min bet 120 from utg, I 3-bet with like 370 chips. He calls, and of course the outcome is I bust. But this kinda ❤️♥️❤️-players and the software giving him a full house is why people think pokersites are rigged, that AA is doomed etc... it´s just sick. It´s my first hand-involvement too...907688536_ScreenShot2018-04-15at19_38_39.thumb.png.91ea7b1276c143b1d3f0baff226b1384.png

Just gotta move on to the next one, at least I got paid in 3 of 4 today.

Archived