Omaha, does anyone have any good guides?

Play_Analyst

As per the title I wondered if anyone in the community could point me in the right direction on books and info about the game?

I gave it a go as it was in my September mission to see 10 flops per day for 3 days. Well needless to say I've accomplished that part of the mission, managed to make a little bit and have found it really interesting if not a little manic when you first play lol

So far I've learnt that starting out with quads in the hole is not as great as you think and that people seem to really over bet the preflop and that's about the extent of my knowledge of the game.

In hold em I know about the rule of 4 and 2 as a rough guide to your odds on the turn and flop but I was wondering if there are any specific hints and tips along similar lines for Omaha?

I'm glad it was the mission for September or I'd never have given Omaha a try but I have to admit to really enjoying the game and would like to learn more about it so I can turn a few lucky days into a more long term winning strategy for playing.

I can give you a few pointers that have helped me. I play a fair amount of PLO tournaments on another site, & heres what has helped me:

1) Starting hands matter a lot. Try to only played connected hands like 10,J,8,9 or K,Q,6,7 double suited

2) Hands like 4,4,10,K may be tempting because you could limp and try to hit a set, but more often then not youre dominated by bigger set, so its best to avoid. A hand like Q,Q,4,7 you can limp and try to hit set since itll usually be good. Be prepared to fold though if it goes raise, reraise.

3) Try to only play to the nuts after the flop. If you have two pair but its bottom 2, you should usually fold to a bet since its very likely they have bigger two pair, or set

4) Never raise with a hand like A,A,2,9 unless you can get all your chips in. Even though aces are tempting, this hand is not connected so it will be very hard to inprove.

Im on my phone right now, but let me know if theres anything specific you want to know and I'll do my best to answer.

I debate
Should I smile like everything's good and pretend that life is great
Or should I let the world see the real me and not hide this pain
I tried to be like the rest of y'all, sorry I just can't
I'ma probably die this way

I've just recently started playing Omaha, and I love it. I realize that I have a lot to learn about starting hands, and getting max value from them. I'd like too have some help and fun in doing so. I read enough books....

@Magicadil. When and what's worth chasing. Same odds as Holdem basically? This is where I run into value troubles calling and betting.

It's just an illusion.

I would only chase if there's multiple people in the hand, you're getting good odds, & you're drawing to the nuts, or very close to the nuts. Avoid chasing flushes, even if it's the nut flush, on paired boards. The odds are similar to holdem, however, a lot can change on every street so you have to reevaluate after each card. For example, you have A,A,6,7 rainbow, the board is 3,4,5 with 2 clubs. It goes bet, raise, reraise, and on to you. While you have the nuts, you have to consider what others might have in this hand. One person might be drawing to a flush, while the other might be holding a set. It's an extremely tricky spot because it's virtually a flip.

Omaha is like a rollercoaster. There's lots of ups and downs. But it sure is a very exciting game. 🆒

I debate
Should I smile like everything's good and pretend that life is great
Or should I let the world see the real me and not hide this pain
I tried to be like the rest of y'all, sorry I just can't
I'ma probably die this way

Okay my problem area is figuring out which hands I should raise preflop like I know if I have two pairs and two suits that's a good one to raise pre-flop but I see other guys raising all the time on things and I can't figure out why they're raising from pre flop when Omaha is such a crazy game and you're forced to play two cards. it's nothing like Holdem at that point.

Thanks for the advice. @Magicadil

Any chance on a community just for fun Omaha tourney?

It's just an illusion.

Archived