New to poker - plea for help

SteveWhit58

I have been a member of the community for well over a year now but have mainly concentrated on sports betting.

I had a knee replacement operation a few weeks ago and havent been able to sleep at night so I have been whiling way the early hours of the morning learning poker (pretty much from scratch). 

I have read through many of the Unibet guides which are useful for a complete beginner and try to apply what I have learnt when playing.  Although I am improving, I still lose more than I win.  Can anyone advise me of good books to read, website tutorials, things they found useful when starting off?

Any advice appreciated.

@SteveWhit58 Twitch is the place😉
Just put "poker" in a search,and that's it.
You will find bunch of streamers,watch,try to follow the tips,thought about how they play and how would you play in that position,etc.
Definitely,currently,best place to learn and improve.

@SteveWhit58 wrote:

I have been a member of the community for well over a year now but have mainly concentrated on sports betting.

I had a knee replacement operation a few weeks ago and havent been able to sleep at night so I have been whiling way the early hours of the morning learning poker (pretty much from scratch). 

I have read through many of the Unibet guides which are useful for a complete beginner and try to apply what I have learnt when playing.  Although I am improving, I still lose more than I win.  Can anyone advise me of good books to read, website tutorials, things they found useful when starting off?

Any advice appreciated.

Usj, I hope you will be better soon, my friend.

I am not a good in poker, but I have learnt you need to have patience :) 

Welcome @SteveWhit58 to the long, hopefully successful poker journey. A really good start for an absolute beginner, look no further than"Crushing the Microstakes" and "The Microstakes Playbook" by Nathan Williams, at Blackrain79, downloadable only, also on YouTube. Don't overload yourself with too much to read or watch to begin with, take it one step at a time, and you'll love  and hate the game equally in the space of two hands, I promise. 

Most of all, ENJOY it. Making money comes later, sometimes MUCH later.

See you on the tables, Happy Grinding. 😃👍

( A LOT of patience) 🤣

"It turns out that 75% of all poker players think they play better than the other 75%."     image.png.99a4e82708d54abfc527324e8836768e.png

You can watch The Unibet Open live on teitch and browser same. You can learn and see professional player and moves. Commentators are sm very good and help sou unterstand the play. AfterYou can play freerolls or minimum limit cash games, maybe sit n gos. You can find your profile. Enjoy to poker and to unibet, you find nice page to play, learn. We are one big family. 

@SteveWhit58

All of the guys here have given you great advice. 

So here’s mine my apologies if it sounds repetitive:

1. Sign up for Twitch and follow the Unibet Open Malta games, you’ll get to see how players play certain hands, the table actions etc. 

2. Before you do that I don’t know how much of the game you know but I suggest learning the basics, the jargon, hand rankings, what the community is (flop, turn, river) etc. 

3. Play the freerolls, the freerolls would help you get a feel for the game but players there are would be quite aggressive and make irrational plays because of course it is a freeroll (no monetary consequence). Also as you’re watching Malta Open and playing online you’ll realize there’s a difference in live vs. online play. 

4. Online study resources.....check CardsChat.com

5. Play, study, strategize, implement, analyze repeat. It’s a game of decisions, patience and problem solving the more you play you’ll realize this and remember taking breaks is also good. 

6. Lastly don’t invest into the game until you have sound fundamentals, stick to the freerolls it’s a game of risk and reward, variance and skill. 

GL at the tables. 

You already got plenty of advice here. You need to learn the basics first , and which strategy to focus on .  Do you prefer cash games or sng/mtt's ?   Whatever you do , play at micro stakes first to avoid giving away money for free, until you feel you can master it.  The Nano games are brilliant if you want to meet tournament players , you will quickly learn from your mistakes. 

Old timers wisdom impending....

Forget watching twitch for strategy.  Watch it for motivation for where you're going to be in the future. 

Find one game format where you seem best at.  MTT's, SNGs or Cash... it doesn't matter... but stick with one and don't change until you've won steadily without moving up stakes.

Welcome! Sound advice from people who are likely much better than me.

The first lesson I learned is the advice I'll give to you. The secret to this game is to fold! Seriously, you'll see people playing (and even winning) with all kinds of crazy hands. Don't worry about them. Just fold until you have something really good then start firing. 

GL mate, see you at the tables xxx

Archived