How to improve the SNG skills?

yarik_gr

Hi! Can somebody recommend me something to improve my SNG skills?
I spent tons of time trying to find something new, but unfortunately all the info is old and same.
After 5k 1-4 euro SNGs my ROI was about 15%, but now I'm playing only 4 euros games and it's only 8% (according to last 1k games).
For me it seems that it's just a bad luck, but 1k is a pretty long run, so I think that I'm doing something wrong and don't know how to improve my ROI.
For example, I'm watching different poker pros streams trying to predict their actions and for me it looks like I'm thinking the same way they are, but they results are better! I just can't understand what I'm doing wrong.
I will be grateful for any advices and poker materials!

Hello if you can hold that 8% roi you are doing a verry good job.

Having that said I would highly recommend playing the €10 sng's, or try to increase volume if you are not comfortable at the 10s for whatever reason.

Look up ICM. Try to apply as much pressure as reasonable when you are the big stack. Also, don’t be afraid of taking flops with 10 BB vs. minraise opens, when you are in the BB. You don’t have to push/fold in this situation. You can take a flop and check/shove when you hit the board. Hitting usually means hitting any pair or a draw with 8+ outs. Sometimes, it can even be profitable to check/shove gutshot draws if you think your opponent will bet/fold most of his range.

Overall, I can recommend checking out the Raise Your Edge content on YouTube. It’s not about SNG poker in particular, but the content is free, extremely valuable and will turn you into a better, more thinking poker player.

@yarik_grwrote:

Hi! Can somebody recommend me something to improve my SNG skills?

I spent tons of time trying to find something new, but unfortunately all the info is old and same.

After 5k 1-4 euro SNGs my ROI was about 15%, but now I'm playing only 4 euros games and it's only 8% (according to last 1k games).

For me it seems that it's just a bad luck, but 1k is a pretty long run, so I think that I'm doing something wrong and don't know how to improve my ROI.

For example, I'm watching different poker pros streams trying to predict their actions and for me it looks like I'm thinking the same way they are, but they results are better! I just can't understand what I'm doing wrong.

I will be grateful for any advices and poker materials!

What is your ROI playing MTTs here if I may ask? My point is, the SNGs here are less profitable than the MTTs, you should always keep that in mind and adjust your expectations accordingly.

Move up to the SNG 10s and play with your community alias, I'll report back if I find something about your style...:laugh:

We're gonna win on so many levels! We're gonna win, win, win. You're gonna get so tired of winning, you're gonna say: "Mr. President please, we don't wanna win anymore, it's too much!" And I'm gonna say: "I'm sorry, we're gonna keep winning because we're gonna make America great again!"

8& is an excellent ROI in S&Gs, even for Unibet €4 tournies. You can definitely get higher than 10% but it sounds like you don't really need any other direction than to improve your push/fold ranges even better than they are.

Formerly known as StartlingGrope

Thank you for your advice @imdenuts, but 10 euro is a daily salary in my country, so I think that I can be profitable playing 10's, but I'm not ready yet. 😀

@GamesDean, I heard somethingabout Raise Your Edge, I will check it out today. I'm already heard that advice about minraise open with shortstack, but just can't understand how to use it in right way, but that's a something that I should work with. Thank you!

@WuDu after 2k 1-25 euro games my MTT ROI is %76, but one time I got lucky and won 2K and not gonna try it again in the near future, so without it my ROI is about %36. I will try 10s and battle you when I will achieve a stable %12 ROI at 4s. 😃

@ChapInAChair thank for your advice, I'm thinking about ICIMZER, maybe I will try it for one month.

@yarik_grwrote:

@GamesDean, I heard somethingabout Raise Your Edge, I will check it out today. I'm already heard that advice about minraise open with shortstack, but just can't understand how to use it in right way, but that's a something that I should work with. Thank you!

In general, as a short stack you want to openraise hands like ATo or KJo that have strong blocker effects but are too weak to openshove from UTG. Obviously, it’s a different story from the BU and the SB where you definitely want to shove these hands (or limp them sometimes). This strategy allows you to maintain a somewhat balanced range allowing you to openraise AA with 13bb without everyone knowing that you can’t have any weak hands. This is not too important at the low stakes but when you reach higher stakes (€10+) you will face stronger opponents that would rarely make mistakes vs. your short stack openraises otherwise.

Also, especially at lower stakes, players will still come along with weaker Ax and Kx allowing you to hit strong top pairs postflop and get an easy double up without risking your stack in coinflip situations. If they have to hit a 3-outer you are 86% to win, that’s heavily increased odds compared to the good old push/fold game. Keep in mind though, this strategy is table dependent and won’t always work wonders. You have to adapt to your table mates.

@yarik_grwrote:

@WuDu after 2k 1-25 euro games my MTT ROI is %76, but one time I got lucky and won 2K and not gonna try it again in the near future, so without it my ROI is about %36. I will try 10s and battle you when I will achieve a stable %12 ROI at 4s. 😃

So according to your numbers, you mostly play 1, 2 and 5 Euro MTTs as you average 2,5 Euro per buy-in according to your numbers. I checked my numbers for you and my MTT-ROI is 37 %, however with 9,6 Euro as average. If I were you, I'd stay at the SNG4s for now, maybe we'll see each other there...

We're gonna win on so many levels! We're gonna win, win, win. You're gonna get so tired of winning, you're gonna say: "Mr. President please, we don't wanna win anymore, it's too much!" And I'm gonna say: "I'm sorry, we're gonna keep winning because we're gonna make America great again!"

@WuDuwrote:

@yarik_grwrote:

So according to your numbers, you mostly play 1, 2 and 5 Euro MTTs as you average 2,5 Euro per buy-in according to your numbers. I checked my numbers for you and my MTT-ROI is 37 %, however with 9,6 Euro as average. If I were you, I'd stay at the SNG4s for now, maybe we'll see each other there...

Where do you find these numbers guys? Noob here :happyshy::jazzhands:

@Inhumanwrote:

Where do you find these numbers guys? Noob here :happyshy::jazzhands:

My numbers: I keep my own stats with the help of Excel.

@yarik_gr`s numbers: 5th grade mathematics.

@Inhumanwrote:

:wow:

So you write down every time you play a tournament, the buy-in and result? And you have like thousands of entries?

What about SNGs, you pbbly have tens of thousands if you grind those..

For MTTs, yes. Of course you have to update your sheet after each day. Takes maybe a minute or two depending on the number of MTTs I played.

For SNGs, I simply write down the results after each SNG, like 1, 2 or 0, you can also do A, B and X. Then I count the 1s, the 2s and the 0s and input the numbers in my sheet and Excel does the rest. Takes maybe 1 minute.

To improve sit and go skills? 

Well, my first priority, (putting it bluntly), would be to ignore this thread and instead jump to the old PNL recordings on YouTube. Listen to Caspar B especially. He's a personal friend admittedly, but one of the best STT players in the world. If you want a quick sample:

Start from 10 minutes or so. There are other shows where he commentates as he plays. Well worth a watch. I hope he never sees this.

My own tuppence worth:  One bit of advice would be, at the bubble especially, don't play just because you can. Nearly all big stacks play too much at that stage of the sit and go, even at high levels.  It's a lack of understanding of sit and go dynamics.You will often, inadvertently, prevent the the shorter stacks pushing against each other. A 2 or 3 thousand chip lead at that stage does not have the great value most players think it has. 

@WuDu what do you mean by saying "5th grade mathematics"?

@Inhuman you can ask Unibet support to send your stats to email, but I'm also use Excel for my own calculations.

@illiteratum Thank you for your advices! I will check that YouTube channel today.

@unibetslowplay why do you think that you are the best here? 😃 Maybe your advice is works at 10 euros+ stakes, but at my stakes players almost never fold their draws, ofc I'm trying to get a maximum value from it, but sometimes they even call a turn bet for half of the stack with 10-high flush draw (just an example). I almost never bluff and only use math in my game, here's an example for you to understand all the craziness happing here.

Screenshot_172.png.f6a95e2f8681e8bc3b8065b0350bebd8.pngScreenshot_173.png.d768ab9c2f4b83662828ae72853bf233.png

@yarik_gr

I was calculating your average buy-in via the rule of proportion. That's 5th grade mathematics to me.

@illiteratum

Relax buddy, only 7 more years to go...👍

Archived