How should we define what makes a user name offensive?

Play_Analyst

Semi-serious question guys and girls and I ask because apart from the obvious user ID's that we all acknowledge as being offensive.

There are of course particular of words such as the "n" word, words that denegrate a person because of their sex / way of life and those that are just plain discriminatory.

On the other hand because many words in the Engish language can have more than one meaning there are many instances where apparently inocent words or phraases can be taken out of context depending on how th reader interpritaes them.

For example, if you saw an avatar of a woman with the user name Blue T i ts what would you think? You could take it as an innocent despcription of a group of a particulr genus of the bird family, or if your mind is in the gutter you  could imagine soom poor woman wearing a very thin top in very cold weather lol.

In the UK we have a long history of finding inuendo not offensive but very funny due to those double meanings. That means that we can say to someone that they're a knob gobler, meaning one who eats a lump of butter, or a door handle eater or something a little cruder.

My view is that it's funny rather than offensive and shows a degree of thought but would you find such a double entendr offensive or not?

I'd also like to know if you think it would be a good ide and a bit of fun to see who could come up with an avatar name such as the one above that would fall into that category, ie it's rude depending on the way you read it but definately not offensive.

I think we also need to remember that we're all over 18 on here (21 in some territories) so as adults we shouldn't get to upset about a little smut. Even more in this day and age given how some people seem to have turned being offended on behalf of someone else into an art form I feel it is important we all try to retain a sense of humour.

(As an aside just to show how absurd any kind of automated system can be I couldn't type t i t s as one word, just like the word the r a p ist .... )

I totaly agree with some of the points above @Play_Analyst. Indeed, racist, discriminatory, sexist or just mean aliases are automatically blocked by the system and not accepted, however there are so many conotations to a word so many other ways in which one could insinuate something that it's just impossible to completely exclude. Some people have a lower tolerance to such things than others, this is a thing that personally I try to keep in mind all the time but I have to admit that some of them are more funny than offensive. We screen through all of the reports and decide if it's worth banning or not.

I think we also need to remember that we're all over 18 on here (21 in some territories) so as adults we shouldn't get to upset about a little smut. Even more in this day and age given how some people seem to have turned being offended on behalf of someone else into an art form I feel it is important we all try to retain a sense of humour.

One famous bit from South Park comes to mind, prooving that sometimes racism, sexism is only in our heads and to some extent a matter of choice if you get offended or not.

Naggers.gif.4bb9291e1a02da695bf597438ceecea1.gif

Former Community Moderator

@Play_Analyst wrote:

In the UK we have a long history of finding inuendo not offensive but very funny due to those double meanings. That means that we can say to someone that they're a knob gobler, meaning one who eats a lump of butter, or a door handle eater or something a little cruder.

Hahaha i've never heard of any other usage than the crude one here @Play_Analyst

I take your point, Sid James is a personal hero, if only the majority of the 'offensive' handles exhibited even the slightest bit of wit.Sadly most are just exercises in futility by sad little herberts determined to get a reaction.

Loved Sid James and the early Carry On movies. One of the funniest clips was when they booked into that hotel and the guy behind the counter told them his name was Stewart Farquar and Sid James saying, "Yes you look like a Farquar" to me ROFL. Kenneth Williams always mad me laugh just with his facial expressions and every time I think of him I just remember "OOOO Matron!". Never fails to bring a smile to my face.

As I've said before, nothing wrong with a bit of bawdy humour, we're all grown ups. 

I had my neighbours in stitches the other day when I called them over and produced from behind the front door a 2 foot tall rubber chicken and proclaimed loudly "Just look at the size of my c o c k!" 🤣😏 Needless to say they where in bits lol

Archived