Good old bubble again...

Psycho79

Hey @Leo-Unibet/ @JeppeL/ @RayL!
I played UO Wednesday Final yesterday and a ridiculous situation occurred on the bubble again. There were 6 players remaining with one package gtd on top,
3x250€ and leftover 175€ for the 5th. There was one shorstack on the table with 1000chips/3-4BBs only, and one bigstack taking advantage of such dynamics. As a middle stack you have to fold practically everything to that agression, let your stack melt securing yourself a partial return of the costs at least before you go further in the tournament. That's how 90% of bubbles look like, and it's nothing wrong with this. What happened was that in the same moment the shortstack got busted, another player registered immidiately a second before the late registration closed. There were 6 players remaining again, but...
6 places paid now with a 150€ return for the 6th. What basically happened, this player just bought in to a 250€ tournament for 100€ only, getting 3000 chipstack for that, and chances sufficient enough to play for a package. Freerolling. It really doesn't matter who it was, I don't blame the player, it's a serious issue with the software needs to be resolved as soon as possible. Was it fair to the players who had bought in for 250€ and had to play for over 2hours, risking their chips repeatedly? Busting on badbeats and coolers, KK>AA, AK>AQ etc... giving themselves their best shots to fight for the package? Understanding and respecting ICM, adjusting their plays to the bubble when they finally got there? I don't think so. @Leo-Unibet, I hope it will be fixed quickly, as ignoring these situations are frivolous and disrespecting the players. I understand that some technical considerations stand behind it, as many sats would just end up as they started. But I think the community players will readily share their thoughts and ideas on how the problem could be resolved, moreover this is not the first time the issue has been raised. My suggestion is that the late registration should close automatically meeting a couple of conditions simultaneously: approaching bubble + avarage stack below some certain point, for instance 10BBs + at least one stack significantly below the starting amount...
I would really appreciate taking this seriously as it's an issue occuring very often in all kinds of qualifiers.
Thanks for reading it 👍 Best regards!

@Psycho79 I understand your frustration, been there many a time. There are no simple solutions to this and any solution would apply to all other tournaments. How many tournaments start with min players. If you put a restriction on these, most would close early with huge overlays.I personally dont object to this.😛

The best solution is always more players. This of course is easy to say and hard to do.

My analysis on this is the extra long late reg to try and get the most players and reduce the likelihood of overlay is counter productive. This tournament has not started last few weeks, primarily people are put off by the long late reg. I would start this tournament later, 8pm cet. This gives a chance to run a couple of 50 sats for final and allow players from different time zones to play. Run the tournament with 8 min levels or even 6 mins. Late reg ending at level 8. This may not eliminate the issue but it should reduce it considerably. Also, were not at a stage where its simply all in.

The current set up makes it hard to start the game and encourages people to late reg. Im gutted i missed the opportunity last night.

@pirahn it's not about my frustration and the one particular tournament, I can easily cut off from such a thinking 😛 I didn't mention that "the player" busted in the 6th, and I got 250€ ticket refund, cause it's really not the point. Also the number of entries in this particular satellite, which indeed started at 8pm CET, was enough to cover gtd and create a couple of returns. It's not the point as well. I've never said I was extended late registrations opponent too. The problem is that the software doesn't recognize the spots where the registration should be closed automatically, and it should. There's a significant difference between (let's say a "3tx gtd UO sat" starting with 5 players now, one of each gets busted on the first hand, creating a virtual?/practical? bubble, but the stacks are still deep enough to allow late reg) and (the situation where you play on the exact bubble with ICM considerations and properly adjusting to them, which may often lead multiple stacks to drop down below the starting drastically, and suddenly there appear a new full stack on the table, and all their have to do is to wait for others to bust). These are two completely different situations, and believe me, I've been in both shoes many times. That's why I suggested multiple conditions occurence to close the reg. Ipso facto, I'm totally aware that it's a hard task to do from the technical point of view, but the things never happen like that. I also think your idea to speed up a bit some sats is great, as many people just don't have much time midweeks to sit 3hours and play. Also more feeders to the sats are definitely a good idea. What would encourage players to start the games? Not a new idea, just give them some extra chips for early birds. I have some thoughts on how the sat system should look like, etc. but it's a substance for another thread. Let them do things in turns. I think late registrations is a matter that needs a closer insight. Thanks for your response @pirahn, GL!

@Psycho79 This situation has been around for at least 2 years, I reported to Andrew before the community even existed on 2+2 and even had a in person conversation with David and Robin about it at UO Malta.

After being bust in this way many many times before I had a poker break, I am now one of the ones who will reg at the last second, no way am I playing for 2 hours anymore to be busted by people open shoving T3s from early position.

As has been mentioned before reg needs to finish well before its good value to just shove/fold.

I am pretty sure the person that won the seat here actually regged about 5 minutes before the last player did just one off the money.

You can exchange UO tickets again all is unicorns and rainbows in Unibet land.

@jonny2192 so you were "the player" yersterday 😏 Like I said, I don't blame you. Poker player is a peculiar animal, always searching for favorable opportunities to take advantage of them. Is that really so strange? Not at all. But it's on Unibet side to provide its players the healthy environment, and probably the above situations are little bricks to the wall of why more players don't play the sats. Certainly there are more reasons, but if we just leave the things for the mercy of fate it will never get better. Cheers Man :peace:

@Psycho79 Not sure if extra chips is possibe. It may be a contravention to games of equal chance. Tbh, i have no idea these days what can and cant be done. 

David said they are looking at the long late regs. Whether thats just for uos or in general is hard to say.

See you on Sunday, hopefully at final table.

@pirahnI'm totally positive that "the early birds" are legal :atisfied: I've seen it either on another rooms or even in the bounty side event in Manchester on the last UK Tour leg. It doesn't have to be like a double stack at sight. But, wouldn't you be more eager to play from the start, a sat with a descent structure, if you get 4000-4500 instead of 3000 when you late reg? 😀 I'm off this Sunday as well as the next one, and the one after that is Easter, so... the package is all yours 😛 ...truly wish you will bink it, GL!

@Psycho79wrote:

@pirahnI'm totally positive that "the early birds" are legal :atisfied: I've seen it either on another rooms or even in the bounty side event in Manchester on the last UK Tour leg. It doesn't have to be like a double stack at sight. But, wouldn't you be more eager to play from the start, a sat with a descent structure, if you get 4000-4500 instead of 3000 when you late reg? 😀 I'm off this Sunday as well as the next one, and the one after that is Easter, so... the package is all yours 😛 ...truly wish you will bink it, GL!

Wow, i have a chance to win at last.:happy:  Actually may me be cheaper for me to buy into malta with all my tix.Tell me which sites do it and ill report them to gaming board.😛

Personally, i hate to play from start. Im not as young as you guys and need to make plenty of journys to the bathroom.:waterfall: Sometimes i help to start games and end up throwing it away. Thats just a personal preference. If you need to do this then theres other things that are wrong. I agree entirely that i would love to play games with decent structures. Sat structures and late reg should be a priority.

@Psycho79 wrote:

Hey @Leo-Unibet/ @JeppeL/ @RayL!

I played UO Wednesday Final yesterday and a ridiculous situation occurred on the bubble again. There were 6 players remaining with one package gtd on top,

3x250€ and leftover 175€ for the 5th. There was one shorstack on the table with 1000chips/3-4BBs only, and one bigstack taking advantage of such dynamics. As a middle stack you have to fold practically everything to that agression, let your stack melt securing yourself a partial return of the costs at least before you go further in the tournament. That's how 90% of bubbles look like, and it's nothing wrong with this. What happened was that in the same moment the shortstack got busted, another player registered immidiately a second before the late registration closed. There were 6 players remaining again, but...

6 places paid now with a 150€ return for the 6th. What basically happened, this player just bought in to a 250€ tournament for 100€ only, getting 3000 chipstack for that, and chances sufficient enough to play for a package. Freerolling. It really doesn't matter who it was, I don't blame the player, it's a serious issue with the software needs to be resolved as soon as possible. Was it fair to the players who had bought in for 250€ and had to play for over 2hours, risking their chips repeatedly? Busting on badbeats and coolers, KK>AA, AK>AQ etc... giving themselves their best shots to fight for the package? Understanding and respecting ICM, adjusting their plays to the bubble when they finally got there? I don't think so. @Leo-Unibet, I hope it will be fixed quickly, as ignoring these situations are frivolous and disrespecting the players. I understand that some technical considerations stand behind it, as many sats would just end up as they started. But I think the community players will readily share their thoughts and ideas on how the problem could be resolved, moreover this is not the first time the issue has been raised. My suggestion is that the late registration should close automatically meeting a couple of conditions simultaneously: approaching bubble + avarage stack below some certain point, for instance 10BBs + at least one stack significantly below the starting amount...

I would really appreciate taking this seriously as it's an issue occuring very often in all kinds of qualifiers.

Thanks for reading it 👍 Best regards!

@pirahn @jonny2192

Thanks @Psycho79 for reporting about the situation. You are 100% right this is not how a package qualifier or any qualifier at all should be played out.

Thd reason for this happening is obviously the very long late registration time, I have not seen this happening on this particular qualifier before so I appreciat that you reported this so the qualifier will be configurated with shorten late reg. I'm glad that you managed to avoid the trap of bubbeling the tournament and binged a ticket 😃

Regarding the level up time of 12 minutes, I'm fine with that, due to the relativly few players in the tournament and a rather "big" first prize I don't see anything wrong with the average length of this qualifier being 2:10h. After all, is's a package up for grabs. Thanks guys for watching my back! 

Archived