Freerolls and all in pre flop

Play_Analyst

I've just read the post about some players potentially using multiple accounts in freerolls and using them to go all in pre flop.

To be honest that's not my major concern as I do not feel it is a long term winning strategy.

My concern is that it does take away a lot of the enjoyment in playing in freeroll tournaments. I like to play in them because it gives me the freedom to try new things without risking my bankroll. It's also a nice way to relax and unwind before taking part in a tournament that has a real money buy in.

I also agree with a few of the comments that the players who keep going all in every hand with utter garbage do actually spoil the fun for many players and it does put a lot of people off playing in them. It's even more annoying when the freeroll has the option to rebuy for say 10 cents and the very same players who have been shoving with garbage bust out then rebuy multiple times. I know we should probably embrace that type of player becasue they are adding to the overall prize pool but if you're like me you often find yourself asking what's the point of rebuying when players x y and z are constantly shoving all in pre flop given that the potential ROI means you'll probaly be breaking even at best.

What I'd like to see iare a couple of things: 1) The removal of the buy in option so when you're out you're out and 2) Making the freeroll tournaments pot limit pre flop for say the first 6 levels or upto the first break.  

I'm not sure if the 2nd option can be done easily with the software in which case make the frerolls pot limit so at least an element of skill can be used rather than just dumb luck. I do feel that it would lead to a much better playing experience for the majority of players taking part.

The thing is, freerolls are meant to attract a lower level of play. Even if it was pot limit preflop, it would just go 'pot, repot, repot, all in' Just go in to a freeroll with the mentality that you'll probably lose, but if you do manage to get super lucky, a ticket doesn't hurt. The only real value freerolls are the twitch stream ones as they have a far larger prizepool & people usually tend to play more serious.

I debate
Should I smile like everything's good and pretend that life is great
Or should I let the world see the real me and not hide this pain
I tried to be like the rest of y'all, sorry I just can't
I'ma probably die this way

Not sure if it's doable, but I like your suggestions and I agree with most of what you said, . If there's one thing I hate - and it's most obvious in freerolls, but it happens in other tournaments as well - it's people who only seem to have two "settings" - all in or fold. It's like they don't even know there's a check button or even a bet button for that matter. It's very irritating and I agree that it takes away from the fun of playing. Knocking them out is sweet though - but yeah, if I do knock them out I don't want them to be able to rebuy and pop back in again to do the same thing all over again.

@Valkyrie wrote:

Not sure if it's doable, but I like your suggestions and I agree with most of what you said, @Play_Analyst. If there's one thing I hate - and it's most obvious in freerolls, but it happens in other tournaments as well - it's people who only seem to have two "settings" - all in or fold. It's like they don't even know there's a check button or even a bet button for that matter. It's very irritating and I agree that it takes away from the fun of playing. Knocking them out is sweet though - but yeah, if I do knock them out I don't want them to be able to rebuy and pop back in again to do the same thing all over again.

Obviously I was too tired when I typed this. Meant to say they don't seem to know there's a call button - or a bet sizing option.

@Valkyrie My call and fold buttons are broken in freerolls. Only two options: Raise big or all in
I debate
Should I smile like everything's good and pretend that life is great
Or should I let the world see the real me and not hide this pain
I tried to be like the rest of y'all, sorry I just can't
I'ma probably die this way

@Magicadil wrote:

@Valkyrie My call and fold buttons are broken in freerolls. Only two options: Raise big or all in

Well, even if you don't do it all that often, the fact that you actually understand how to use the bet slider to only raise once in a while, and know that it has more than just a max setting, immediately disqualifies you from being one of the people I'm talking about - sorry. :haha: But we kind of noticed that pesky fold button malfunction in the last community freeroll. (I think someone even pointed it out to you in the chat.) So maybe you should make a bug report about that... 😏

I've always joined the freeroles to take off my worst gambling fever. In freeroles we're able to play loose, play bingo, play stupid. I still do that sometimes in freeroles - but I try not to become one of those all-in-guys (somtimes it succeeds). 

Instead, I find myself playing more casual slow and suspicious. If I hit a good preflop hand, I just call. 

But don't listen to me, I've never won a freerole. For me a freerole is like taking care of yourself before you go to a date, so you will not be that eager to hit the jackpot. 

Excellent post man. The first one.

I miss pot limit Holdem the good old days when poker room still existed, and I received regular cheques....

Have gotten one of those in a long time...

But yeah a skilled game without the big investment. Would the community show up for a free game?

Also when the all ins have multiple accounts. Not so easy to dodge none stop, and they start to ruin your playing abilities because you start picking the stupidity out of frustration and lack of options.

I think late registration is bull as well. I usually just come in late now if it's not a turbo and bb is still reasonable.

Whoever is saying "whatever" clearly has a bankroll and doesn't play very many freerolls. So um yeah.

"Misplaced anger" my buttocks.

It's just an illusion.

People that have a bankroll to play higher aren't just saying whatever, they're drooling over your stories of people constantly going all-in with garbage and calling with whatever because they don't care 😏 I do agree however that multiaccounters are bad, but I suppose they get caught eventually ... and then another guy makes 20 accounts so you don't even notice any progress :wonder:

Don't lump me in there. Lol My mtt game is tight. Ask my fan club. I was dropping them like flies, and not from auto pushing while my fingers were crossed, but hey what do I know right.

Love you guys

I just can't manage a bankroll to save my life, and I suck at Omaha but keep going back for more. Exclude me from Omaha!

@MarcoV, if you get a chance to get the win history for me can post in here please.

It's just an illusion.

I misunderstood MPN before I think it's hilarious that you picture the constant all-in scenario working out so well for you. One donkey is a gift. An entire table of them is a nightmare. I've played big stakes small stakes. Grinded it out day in and day out. I have zero grind left it's too ❤️♥️❤️ boring, and having to freeroll it in between rolls is the price I pay for wanting that awful rush of the gamble. Just meet me on the felt. Everyone of us is a pro in our own minds.

Being a pro doesn't mean you're a great player just a studied patient one. I'm wanting some free games or real cheap ones for us. Forget the gamble rush. I just to play people who actually love and know the game. I'm all donkey'ed out.

It's just an illusion.

Archived