Unibet Community

Ask questions, get help and enjoy Unibet
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Magicadil Rank 25
Rank 25
Everyone is different in how they learn. For me personally, Ive found Twitch Streams have helped advance my game far better than any book could (Jason Somerville's in particular)

What method works best for you, in improving your own game?
I debate
Should I smile like everything's good and pretend that life is great
Or should I let the world see the real me and not hide this pain
I tried to be like the rest of y'all, sorry I just can't
I'ma probably die this way
14 REPLIES
RegisLT Rank 11
Rank 11

Well personally I dont take a lot attention for poker tips in strategy play but I like to watch how they are going, cuz Im to lazy for that to apply for my individual/improvisation play scheme and maybe I believe there's MAGICK circle when players have almost same techniques and boom you're in the lotto bingo so Im faaar away from that. The only thing I like to read is about psychology in poker to set my mind in best shape and make players go to the space Wonder

Today's youth are getting worse. I was in a church yesterday, when I saw a guy lighting a cigarette from the candle. I was so shocked, that I dropped my beer bottle.
FreedoM Rank 17
Rank 17

Idk i try to mix it up, now that i started work, i stury like 1-2 hrs a day and if i have time ill play + i try to read a book that has nothing to do with poker every week. Ah yeah and twitch Smile btw i read now Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill Wink

this is a fresh start for me, i'm determined to change my life #evolve, and yeah i workout on a daily basis, at least in my mind i never took poker serious, but had the fortune to be rewarded, so yeah i see an opportunity to make a lot of money, no matter what people say its harder to win i will outwork everyone.

JUST START PEOPLE!

“The unfed mind devours itself.” – Gore Vidal
Follow my Poker Journey here.
Highlighted
BookTheWin Rank 13
Rank 13

I think it takes a lot of time to learn the true fundamentals and then expand on your own to get your own edges.  When I watched Jason Somerville's twitch stream, it was pretty blue print to how I approach the game which was just more comforting that I was on the right path.  Only difference is he defends his BB way more often than me Smile

I thought I was the best player in 2007 and in 2009 I realized I knew nothing, same thing in 2010 and then again in 2011.  Then I finally got on the right path and from there it's just playing as much as possible and finding the small edges to increase your profits.  I think poker is really tricky without learning the fundamentals, I know my friend doesn't and no matter how much he plays the best he can do is a slightly losing player.  I definitely learn better by listening to thought processes more than anything.

MoreTBC Rank 22
Rank 22

+1 to streams/Youtube for learning content

Have you read my blog HERE... It's long isn't it Smile
JillianP Rank 14
Rank 14

Strangely for me I've learnt more from videos and Twitch than books.
Normally I'm a big reader but for some reason reading about poker doesn't work for me.
I love listening to Twitch streams, but the trouble is I can't often make out what's on screen, need a bigger monitor!

Just call me Mrs Kings :-)
Magicadil Rank 25
Rank 25

JillianP wrote:

Normally I'm a big reader but for some reason reading about poker doesn't work for me.
I love listening to Twitch streams, but the trouble is I can't often make out what's on screen, need a bigger monitor!

Reading about poker is like doing homework. Gets boring fast. :smileyindifferent:

Videos or streams are a different story. Can watch them for hours.

I debate
0 Likes
MoreTBC Rank 22
Rank 22

JillianP wrote:

That's on the streamer, not you really. If they are streaming 4+ tables on any site it can get difficult to follow the action. The streamers that toggle between tables so there is always only 1 or 2 on screen are the best.

Have you read my blog HERE... It's long isn't it Smile
Magicadil Rank 25
Rank 25

MoreTBC wrote:

JillianP wrote:

That's on the streamer, not you really. If they are streaming 4+ tables on any site it can get difficult to follow the action. The streamers that toggle between tables so there is always only 1 or 2 on screen are the best.

That's why Jason Somerville gets the most viewers. Only 1 tables, so it's very easy to follow the action & commentary.

I debate
0 Likes
Play_Analyst Rank 10
Rank 10

Reading is good upto a point but the game these days evolves so quickly that by the time you have bought and read any given book a new method of play is being used. 

Watching is good, but again unless you're watching a dedicated stream (As suggested) all you get is edited highlights which do not give you the whole story of a group of guys who have been playing together for so long they HAVE to play junk hands to get any action.

I find that poker is such a comlex game when you start getting into it that the only real way to learn is by playing.

I would say that it is essential that any player new to the game and who wants to take it seriously must read and remember the odds of hitting sets, flushes, straights etc as a bare minimum. At least with this information they may stop leaking money by chasing down gutshots etc when the pot odds do not make it a viable long term money making proposition.

For me this is a key foundation stone that must be laid before considering such things a smoney management and bank roll, which I find easier to read about. The more intricate theories such as implied odds and reverse implied odds I find easier to understand if watched and explained on podcasts or videos.