Unibet cash game rake changes from 1st of April

Stubbe-Unibet

Many of you have urged us to look at the rake on NL25, complaints going back as far as 5 years, and I'm pleased to say that effective from the 1st of April we'll reduce the rake at this level significantly. Before we look at the numbers, here's a quick summary of the changes to come

• Significantly lower rake on NL25
  • Significantly lower rake on NL50
  • Slightly lower rake on PL10 and PL25 (small change)
  • Higher rake on NL10, NL4 and PL4
  • The table cap is reduced from 8 to 6 tables on NL4

Why do you increase the rake at NL4, PL4 and NL10? First of all I want to make it clear that despite the increase, the rake on these stakes is still really good, and NL4 remains the industry best.. We believe that the rake at NL4 is almost too good today, in the sense that it gives little incentive to move up in stakes, and the stake becomes much tougher and not as great a place for new players to start out, as we want. This is also why we've reduced the table cap on NL4 from 8 to 6 tables. We'll monitor the impact of the table cap, and if it has the desired effect, we might lower it further to 4 tables. 

Increasing the rake at the lowest stakes will also give us more possibilities with promotions, in terms of including these stakes..

We believe that with the changes, the transition between stakes becomes a much smoother journey and it ultimately improves the ecology and benefits everyone (apart from those  8-tabling NL4 and having no interest in moving up in stakes). 

New_Rake.png.303da7dff681188a11748f75d018206b.png

• Like 10

Check the latest poker release notes. Have a look at our poker promotions

I like the changes, my opinion on table cap is that 6 tables is the sweet spot at all stakes, everything over that it just slows down the game significantly especially if you have 2-3 people at your table that play over 6 tables, it becomes annoying, under 6 tables, personally feel like goes against what Online Poker it supposed to be at least in my mind, not opposed to it if the data dictates that is a good move. So far i feel like Unibet is doing a great job making the game more enjoyable and reduces the edge between rec and reg. Also, are there any plans to putting a table cap in the SNGs/MTTs? Much ♥️ Keep Up the Good Work. 👍

• Like 4

Great changes @Stubbe-Unibet 

Many thanks to you and the poker team behind for keeping the dream alive and ecouraging the players (myself included) to climb the cash games ladder.

As Freedom said, the 6 minimum cap table is the sweet spot so please don't reduce it below as others have done it, mostly not to improve the ecosistem but to push players towards other game formats.

Keep it up and I'm looking forward to changes coming in the future.

• Like 2
Better to be lucky than good.

Thankyou! These changes are great!

"We believe that the rake at NL4 is almost too good today, in the sense that it gives little incentive to move up in stakes, and the stake becomes much tougher and not as great a place for new players to start out, as we want."

This is a weird explenation if I understood it correctly. Sound like the classic "more rake is better". I don't think the NL 4 games are at all tough. But anyway I think it is fine to increase the rake there because it used to be so low. 

What is the table cap on other stakes than NL 4?

• Like 2

@CuteRaven, part of the sentence taken out of context can sound a bit like it, but if you read the full thing, I strongly disagree :)

Again, we've still got the lowest NL4 rake in the industry, the difference was just extreme before. Great that you don't think NL4 is tough, but we do currently have too many players at this stake playing 8 tables and having done so for a long time with a good bb/100 rate. It's too predatory and slow an environment for new players - relatively speaking, not saying it's super tough games of course, it's just not as soft as I'd like - and we don't want to attract good players only playing this stake and never considering moving up, as the conditions are just so extremely good at NL4.

We believe that with the changes we'll speed up the games at NL4 and make them softer; overall just much more enjoyable to the recreational, while still having an extremely good rake level.

The increase on 4 and 10 are very far from making up for the decrease on 25 and 50, so if anything it's "less rake is better" :)

• Like 3

@Esir wrote:

Great changes @Stubbe-Unibet 

Many thanks to you and the poker team behind for keeping the dream alive and ecouraging the players (myself included) to climb the cash games ladder.

As Freedom said, the 6 minimum cap table is the sweet spot so please don't reduce it below as others have done it, mostly not to improve the ecosistem but to push players towards other game formats.

Keep it up and I'm looking forward to changes coming in the future.

For now we'll stick with the 6 tables on NL4, I just wanted to mention the possibility of it becoming 4 in the future, so it'd be less of a shock, if it does happen. Again, this if for NL4 only, and I think there's a good chance it'll stay at 6 :) 

• Like 2

@Stubbe-Unibet Ok, I respect the opinion. I just though it resembled the infamous "more rake is going to make the games easier to beat because the good players will leave" :P. I'm not convinced that the rake changes will actually make players move up but I could be wrong (but the table cap could do the job).

But anyway that's not really that important. In the end I do agree that these chages are great and overall the changes mean less rake (so they live up to the "less rake is better"), and the rake at the micros is still great and the rake increase at those stakes is justified. So all is very good about this :)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Changes all look good imo and I advocated for this type of move years ago. 10NL was the old sweet spot for low stake regs that could play higher but don't due to rake and I'm glad it's removed.  Lowering the rake at 25NL makes the jump in stakes for players a lot easier and this is a good thing.

The next thing that needs to be done to increase promo spend is the reduction in rb% for players reaching the stratosphere of point accumulation per quarter.   Sorry to those players but it has to be done.

@WCG wrote:

Yeah more rake and less rakeback and I'l move back to pokerstars :D

I don't really want to make it a them vs us kinda battle, but given you're making the comparison: 4NL & 10NL are still a lot lower than Stars. 4.15%/cap 1 vs 2%/cap 0.5 & 4.5%/cap 2 vs 3.5%/cap 1. Also, when these are your games, you concern shouldn't be rakeback, your concerns should be either having fun or getting better to move up.

@WCG wrote:

Yeah more rake and less rakeback and I'l move back to pokerstars :D

@WCG That's an extremely odd conclusion, given how high their rake is and how low their rakeback is :)

Again, rake is lowered at NL25 and NL50, so I assume you're playing NL4 or NL10. At NL4 we've now got 2% rake with a 0.5 cap. At Pokerstars the rake is 4.15 % and the cap is 0.5-1. On NL10 the rake on Unibet is now 3.5% with a €1 cap. On Pokerstars it's 4.5% with a cap of 0.5-1.5.

Good luck at the tables, regardless of where you choose to play :)

• Like 1

@Stubbe-Unibet  wrote: ultimately improves the ecology and benefits everyone (apart from those 8-tabling NL4 and having no interest in moving up in stakes).

Stubbe-Unibet wrote: We believe that the rake at NL4 is almost too good today, in the sense that it gives little incentive to move up in stakes

Stubbe-Unibet wrote: and we don't want to attract good players only playing this stake and never considering moving up, as the conditions are just so extremely good at NL4.

:speechless: So you want NL4 grinders to move up and your solution is to increase rake in NL10 too? How does that make sense? Now NL4 grinders most certainly won't be moving up.

I think rake at NL10 should have been lowered too.