Blog: 2017 - From Zero to, hopefully, Vegas

PlasmaDasher

*taps mic*

Check.

One, two, one, two.

Is this thing on? Guess so...

Well, if you can hear read this, I'm guessing it's working. So, denizens of Unibet, hi. Welcome to what is going to hopefully be my little corner of the Community. A place for me to blurt out my thoughts on, well, pretty much whatever I feel like, assuming it doesn't break the terms and conditions for posting here. 

This isn't a personals ad, or a dating site, so I feel confident in saying none of you give a rats ass about how old I am or what I do, but to give some semblance of where I'm coming from, I'm a middle aged dude from the UK who's been playing this game for a long time. Ish. We'll use the word "playing" loosely there I think.

I registered with Unibet last month, but the story begins many, many years ago. I'll spare you the life retellings but suffice to say I've been involved in poker for the last 10 years in some way, whether it being one of the lucky grinders in the early days (before it got tough and HUDs were invented), and then later on in many other ways. I can probably guarantee that some of you have read my writing, but you won't know it due to what I did as it won't have my name on it.

I pretty much stopped playing online around 2011/2012 and played live for a bit before concentrating on the writing over the last couple of years. Recently, however, I've been feeling the urges to play more so started scouting around for a site that offered the following:

No HUDs
Community focused
Good for beginners (as my better half has been thinking about playing)

I asked a few friends and they all pretty much said the same thing - Unibet. So I did some research, read through some recent posts on the 2+2 forum thread, had a quick look in here and decided to take the plunge. Stuck £30 on the site, got the bonuses, and away I went.

At the moment I'm just focusing on playing one table to get used to it again, and completing some of the challenges. I'm not gonna be setting myself mega targets or anything like that just yet, but I do have some targets for January.

Complete all the "Moving On Up" challenges.
Try and get the €15 bonus done
Play at least 8hrs a week.

They may seem small, but I do have to balance them with a full time job (with overtime potential) and commitments with the better half. It would be nice to be able to withdraw enough to pay for a holiday to Vegas later this year but it's Vegas - you can go any time!

This probably isn't going to be a blog for hand analysis but just somewhere I can keep track of how I'm getting on and share thoughts. Good luck to you all at the tables and hopefully you'll all stay the hell out of my way ;)

Oops.

You know what helps? Balances.

€32.46 in cold, hard cash.
€28.81 on the NL4 ticket I got when I signed up.

And I have 3 welcome freeroll tickets left to use.

So that means I have effectively €61.27 so far. At this rate I might make it to Vegas before my 60th birthday!

Good luck with your goals 😃

I debate
Should I smile like everything's good and pretend that life is great
Or should I let the world see the real me and not hide this pain
I tried to be like the rest of y'all, sorry I just can't
I'ma probably die this way

Welcome to the community and Good luck @PlasmaDasher 

You seem to have an interesting background :) Unibet is the first website I played poker on, and since then no other seem to have caught my attention :D 

And that's mainly because of this awesome community and the "not to serious" look of the client, since I really only do it like one would play a video game in their spare time :D

Once again, good luck! 

I see now that the circumstances of ones birth are irrelevant... It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.

I managed to unlock my first bonus last night for €1 so that pushes up the cold, hard cash by about 90 cents after the usual loss due to the exchange rate. Damn pound, but I will NOT turn this into a Politics blog.

Much.

I also post on another forum and took advantage of an offer over there (Thank you very much Andrew), so I have another five €1 cash tickets for use on Banzai, and the person who runs theirs up the highest wins €75 in tickets so I'll probably be hitting that hard over tonight and the weekend.

@MathrimC I'll mostly be playing cash/Banzai but you might see me in the odd SNG/MTT if I have to do it for a challenge etc (I'll be in a Bounty at some point this weekend I imagine!)

@Magicadil Cheers, same to you!

@VikingsAF Cheers, I had pretty much the same idea when I joined up and so far it's been good enough to keep me here. Gonna see if I can get some of my non-playing friends to join me as well :)

Well, that was fun.

I think my Banzai ticket topped out at around €16 at its highest, but nowhere near troubling the top 3, as 3rd was €30 odd when I got up this morning to see Andrew's update.

I was only a few flops from cashing it out at 12pm, so played it through and managed to get €11 off it, giving me €45 in the cold, hard cash bank and still around €28 on that NL4 ticket I have.

Aim for this week is the following:

• Play a bounty, take a head, finish January Challenge 2.
  • 3 more full houses in Banzai for the major challenge.
  • Moving On Up at NL4.
  • Try and get the major challenge at PL4 Omaha - Flop an Ace High Straight with an Ace in your hand. Only need to do it once...

See you around :)

• 2 weeks later...

The adage is true. I just don't update when it's going bad.

The only one of my targets from my last post was the Moving On Up ticket for Week 2. I did get that but dropped €10 from my NL4 ticket, meaning I have €18 left. 

I was off work sick for a couple of days last week, which meant I found myself playing in the morning/early afternoon UK time instead of late at night as I normally do and it showed. There were a lot more "regs" around at that time so it was tough to actually see flops, as there was a lot less limping and a lot more raising.

Couple that with falling foul of the KK curse and being unable to hit an actual flop when I did get to see one, and it cost me €9 to win a €2 ticket. Oops!

I'll be glad when these challenges are over, as to play them optimally to complete them is costing me money (more limping/less raising), but the bonuses for doing the next two are definitely worth it so I'll see them through!

Oh, does anybody know if the Major/Minor challenges (Hold'Em) for everyone are the same? My ones suck!

• 2 weeks later...

It's the final day of Moving on Up and I have to play 30 flops to get my ticket. Had to leave it until the last day, didnt I!

My challenges for the rest of the month were as follows:

• Play a bounty, take a head, finish January Challenge 2.
  • 3 more full houses in Banzai for the major challenge.
  • Moving On Up at NL4.
  • Try and get the major challenge at PL4 Omaha - Flop an Ace High Straight with an Ace in your hand. Only need to do it once...

Got very far, not. I should probably sort that out as apart from the Omaha one, they're pretty easy to do...

I just read your previous post. I think there is a pool of challenges and they follow each other randomly. it was an opportunity to discard one of the non likeable challenges once a month but in the new client I didn't find the button. GL to your goals!:popeye:

• 2 months later...

Bumpity bump-bump.

So where have I been?

Answer = moving house.

Basically a few days after my last post I arranged to move out of my shared house and into an apartment with my better half. This gave us around 6 weeks to pack, arrange everything, and get ourselves out of our respective shared house rooms, and into the new place. Once that was done we then had to make the whole place feel like home.

That's all done now, so I can get back to the fun part. Winning monies, and getting to Vegas. Again. This time though, I set a target. A big group of my mates are planning a trip in October 2018, so thats when I have to get the cash by.

So stop folding to my three-bets!

Archived