The dreaded Max Bet Button

Valkyrie

If I ever developed a slot machine, one thing it would most definitely not have is a "max bet button". Because it's way to easy to accidentally slip that less than a quarter of an inch to the right and hit the max bet instead of the spin button - and poff! there goes most of your balance in one spin. If you win - awesome - but most likely it will be the opposite and if you were planning on playing for a while with low stakes, losing your entire deposit in one spin is not much fun at all. I think it's happened to most of us once or twice and I came very close to doing it today as well, so I started wondering if whoever came up with the "brilliant" idea of placing the max bet button right next to the spin button had some sinister masterplan in mind - or didn't think it through at all. The point is the button has really lousy placement and I wonder if there's any way to make the game developers change the layout and/or remove this button all together?

Also, when you start a slot, why isn't the bet value set to the minimum by default? If you have a large balance and want to make a bigger bet you can always set it manually and it wouldn't be catastrophic if you accidentally hit a spin at €0,20 - but vice versa is another story... And if the game hangs for some reason and you need to restart it, it's also very easy to miss lowering the bet, so it would be safer for everyone if it was always preset to the minimum.

I would say it is especially a problem when a click on the max-bet button triggers a spin. Luckily most suppliers who have that button follows that logic. But overall, yes - it feels like a thing from the past.

The default-bet topic is an interesting one that I quite often discuss with our suppliers. The supplier usually offers a default bet range that can be modified. Some suppliers offer a number of different templates, i.e small, medium, high. At Unibet we strive to keep the default bet rather low and still be able to offer bets up to around €200 for players who like to bet big (the max-bet differs a bit per supplier). What I absolutely do not like is when a min-bet is kept at the default level and a game comes with auto-enabled "extra features" meaning a much higher total bet.

Would be interesting to hear some feedback on the rest of you think and if you've made any mistakes in the past (and from any particular supplier?).

Cheers, Fredrik

@Fredrik-Unibet wrote:

@Valkyrie I would say it is especially a problem when a click on the max-bet button triggers a spin. Luckily most suppliers who have that button follows that logic. But overall, yes - it feels like a thing from the past.

The default-bet topic is an interesting one that I quite often discuss with our suppliers. The supplier usually offers a default bet range that can be modified. Some suppliers offer a number of different templates, i.e small, medium, high. At Unibet we strive to keep the default bet rather low and still be able to offer bets up to around €200 for players who like to bet big (the max-bet differs a bit per supplier). What I absolutely do not like is when a min-bet is kept at the default level and a game comes with auto-enabled "extra features" meaning a much higher total bet.

Would be interesting to hear some feedback on the rest of you think and if you've made any mistakes in the past (and from any particular supplier?).

Cheers, Fredrik

Yes, it's the ones that immediately trigger a spin that are the problem. It's most obvious in Net Ent slots, but some other suppliers have a similar layout as well. I don't know if the others also generate a spin directly, however, as I never push the max bet button willingly and I've only experienced "the accidental slip" in Net Ent slots. 

Take Blood Suckers for example, when you open the game the bet value is preset to €2,50, which is pretty high IMO, and if you go to change the coin value but accidentally hit the max bet button instead it immediately spins away at a whopping €10. Let's say you only deposited €10 and settled in with a nice cup of coffee to play for a while - and then it all goes bye bye in the first spin - ouch!

If the developers absolutely want to keep that infernal button in place they could at least change it so it generates a warning first - instead of just starting off a spin right away. As a precaution it would also be better to always have the starting bet set to the slot's absolute minimum, without any extra features activated. Highroller or lowroller, it should always be up to the individual player to manually change the bet size and add any extra features as desired, preferably in a separate window, before starting to play. In the spirit of safe and fair gaming, it really shouldn't be possible to accidentally bet anything higher than what you yourself have chosen

I'm not sure it'll make any difference, but please, feel free to forward the feedback to the suppliers next time you talk to them. :smileyhappy:

I have never done the max button thing but have had a crash and gone straight onto autoplay without realising the stake has gone higher. This can be hard to spot on some of the games because it shows your balance in coins rather than in money.

You can exchange UO tickets again all is unicorns and rainbows in Unibet land.

@kokkini wrote:

I press once in settings some button in Poltava slot when I try to change bet but that did weird thing, bet changes all the time and I get tired to look bet option and choose another slot

I think most of the ELK Studios' games, like Poltava, have the same set up, where you can choose different "strategies" to play by, so it automatically changes the bet according to the strategy you've chosen. But it just seemed too complicated and risky to me so I gave up on it too. Another thing for the developers to think about - make it simple or you'll scare people away. :smileytongue:

Elk definately has some advanced stuff going on when setting the bet pattern - not for all but I would expect that some players really enjoy it. Speaking of the Net Ent games - the older titles trigger a spin when you hit max bet but that has changed in the newer ones. If you now hit maxbet the first time no spin happens and the coin value remains the same (but the bet level goes to max). If you hit it a second time, the machine spins. So - much better implementation in my opinion.

One thing that is important to me is that we offer products that are as fair and sound as possible. We have for instance elected not to go live with games that have strange base game/bonus game implementations or high default bets based on extra features in the game. The reason for that is simply to do what we can to help players that might make a mistake. Same with the max bet discussion.. I got a bit intrigued so I am trying to look into the data we have at hand to analyze if this is a big problem or not. If it proves to be an issue, we'll take action on it.

I appreciate these threads a lot guys - super good to get a lot of feedback in one place.

KR, Fredrik

I mostly play the older Net Ent games and so far I've managed to avoid hitting the max bet button in any of the newer ones, so I wasn't aware that they'd changed it - so thanks for the info . Even though I'd prefer the button not be there at all, two clicks needed to set off a spin is certainly better than one, so it's definitely a step in the right direction. :smileyhappy: Btw, can you tell me which slot release this change was first applied to - or maybe provide a list? Also, do you know if this will be done in the older games as well at some point?

The new maxbet-functionality in NetEnt games was first introduced in The Invisible Man which was the first desktop HTML5 game from NetEnt, released in the end of 2014 (and at least at the time the best HTML5 production I had seen). Took some time to confirm the first title but hope it was ok waiting a few days.

On a more general note for anyone interested - desktop games are more often delivered as HTML5 games these days. The industry is moving away from Flash following general trends in technology and consumption. Google will from Q4 this year disable Flash in their Chrome browser by default (it can be enabled again) which also puts pressure on delivering in HTML5.

Cheers, Fredrik

@Fredrik-Unibet wrote:

@Valkyrie The new maxbet-functionality in NetEnt games was first introduced in The Invisible Man which was the first desktop HTML5 game from NetEnt, released in the end of 2014 (and at least at the time the best HTML5 production I had seen). Took some time to confirm the first title but hope it was ok waiting a few days.

On a more general note for anyone interested - desktop games are more often delivered as HTML5 games these days. The industry is moving away from Flash following general trends in technology and consumption. Google will from Q4 this year disable Flash in their Chrome browser by default (it can be enabled again) which also puts pressure on delivering in HTML5.

Cheers, Fredrik

Thank you @Fredrik-Unibet, really appreciate you taking the time to look into it for me, and I think anyone who has ever experienced the "accidental slip" on the max bet button will find the information quite useful. I always try to keep as far as possible to the left on the spin button, hoping to avoid accidents, but since the buttons are so close all it really takes is a slight distraction or a sneeze at the wrong moment... So it's nice to know which slots we don't have to be so overly careful when playing. :smileyhappy:

Archived