Without the grind we are nothing

Brocky

Image result for gta here we go again gif

Ladies and gentlemen (and those who consider themselves somewhere in the middle), here we are, partly because I'm OCD that the last blog still said 2019.  

Why are we moving to a new home?  

The last thread had a lot of ups and a lot of downs, a lot of positivity but also a hell of a lot of negativity and I think it's easy to get into a self-pity mindset over how bad you run and how bad life is.  I failed my goals massively in the last thread; volume was shocking, results were good but I also struggled in a bunch of other areas such as health (healthy eating & gym was pretty much non-existant).  Well it's time for a change.  I'm pretty sure I said similar at the start of the last thread but changes are necessary going forward.

What are the poker related goals for this year?

- 2,500 HUSNGs per month

- More live MTTs!

- Lots of studying

Short and sweet.  Profit and ROI related goals don't maximise motivation imo, too much focus on the wrong things.  Providing I am playing well, volume should be the only thing that matters.

Non poker related goals?

- Hit the gym 5 times per week

- Maximum 1 takeaway per week

- Low procrastination levels (PS4, browsing the internet)

- Branching out into different investments/crypto

I'll be doing a weekly recap of this.

Will you be streaming?

Hopefully, but the games are getting super tough so fingers crossed there's a solution in the pipeline :Wink:

What else can we expect from this blog?

IRL stuff! Hands and graphs are great but will be looking to bring a more well rounded approach to the blog going forward, trip reports, holidays etc. 

I'm sure most of you have seen the graphs from the previous thread but here's the motivator we're going to use to start this one off:

image.png.077a3ebe445ebaae572189ee3f7075f2.png

LFG <3

• Like 11

I don't know man, seems kinda crazy to go from chaos to discipline in one strike. It's like going to the gym after 5 years pause and doing the same workouts you did 5 years ago, you will burn out fairly quickly. Don't you think it's better to start slower and add stuff once you feel it's easy? Either way, good luck. May fortune smile upon you.
  • Like 4

@FreedoM wrote:

I don't know man, seems kinda crazy to go from chaos to discipline in one strike. It's like going to the gym after 5 years pause and doing the same workouts you did 5 years ago, you will burn out fairly quickly. Don't you think it's better to start slower and add stuff once you feel it's easy? Either way, good luck. May fortune smile upon you.

I know what you mean but I'm definitely an all or nothing kind of person.  If I have my PS4 on my desk I will play it 6 hours per day, I really struggle with any kind of moderation in that sense but then I could remove it and not play it for a month.  I think if I do the gym once or twice a week I won't notice any results and just get bored/give up very quickly.  I don't know what the perfect solution is but we have to give everything a go!  Thanks though mate.  

• Like 3

@Brocky wrote:

@FreedoM wrote:

I know what you mean but I'm definitely an all or nothing kind of person.  If I have my PS4 on my desk I will play it 6 hours per day, I really struggle with any kind of moderation in that sense but then I could remove it and not play it for a month.  I think if I do the gym once or twice a week I won't notice any results and just get bored/give up very quickly.  I don't know what the perfect solution is but we have to give everything a go!  Thanks though mate.  

I truly feel you on that one @Brocky 🤣. Good luck!

• Like 1
Former Community Moderator

Just a quick update.  The next few days are probably going to be a complete write off, decided to go out for a few drinks/food with the mrs tonight and we're out with friends tomorrow night so will not likely get much volume in tomorrow or Sunday.  I guess we start properly on Monday 😃

Had to go back to the vets again today and then went to the gym so only managed 11 games (very poor) but the wonderful thing about the mid-stakes is you can win an average day's salary in not much time at all.  I probably earned more than my gf in an hour or less than she did in a whole day!

image.png.438433f88b501d4a01fc86b7940dc270.png

Lovely jubbly.  See you all on the other side of this alcohol fuelled weekend.  

• Like 5

@Brocky wrote:

Cheers Ray!  What games do you normally play?

Was grinding "The Division 1 and 2" for a while, then got bored, got "Death Stranding" and got hooked to that, but it does require a certain mindset to play, a calm one and lately can't be bothered with it. Also RDR2, God of War...the popular ones.

• Like 3
Former Community Moderator

Woke up today feeling really lethargic; arms still felt heavy from my weights session the other day, I was tired and skipped the gym (not a good start, definitely going tomorrow though!).  I wasn't going to play today but decided to get a few games in once the gf went to bed.  Games are pretty dead, I made a bit earlier at the 25s with a couple of 50s thrown in and this reg sits the 25s who I've played a bunch before.  He's been around forever and I talked about him a fair bit in my previous blog; he's super aggro, has pretty bad sizing and will 4-5 table for hours.  There's a reason why he was a 100s reg this time last year in my previous blog and now he won't even play me at the 50s, he's just not very good.  On the other hand, I can never, ever seem to get the better of him, so I've decided there's not much point 4 tabling him for a bunch of variance tonight, let's just book a win and get ready for tomorrow.  I honestly believe I have an edge but with someone as aggressive as him, card distribution is a big factor because you're getting shoved on a lot, attacked when you limp and check/raised relentlessly on flops.  I'm sure we'll battle again, but not at 2am when I'm still a bit groggy from the weekend.  Lost a couple of BI to him but no biggy.

Graph for the session:

image.png.d36b65c767a752910afe69b037e5ab27.png

I'm sat at the 50s lobby but games are dead so may just call it a night.  Tomorrow we are back for business.

• Like 4

@Brocky wrote:

I'm sat at the 50s lobby but games are dead so may just call it a night.  Tomorrow we are back for business.

haha I was playing tonnes of 50's yesterday but ended up mostly just ego-battling with same players over and over again. Went to bed couple hours before you 😪

• 4 weeks later...

Well it's been a while.  I'm too tired to write a really long blog post but I have all but hit a wall with heads up.  I tried splitting action between Party and Unibet but I've just been running so horrifically bad that volume has been awful and motivation is at an all time low.  Toyed with the idea of MTTs for a while but decided to give the 5 man SNGs on Unibet a whirl for now.  Started at the 10s tonight, 9 tabling.  The new time to act is making it really hard though, was timing out all over the shop.

Good session to start with:

image.png.8b8fc170a2ef6e9c77ab01a63b571fd5.png

Obviously ran good to cash 51% of games but definitely ran bad heads up.  27bi profit not to be sniffed at.  Will be back at it tomorrow!

• Like 9

Don't be too harsh on yourself, 10s and 25s at Unibet are full of regulars in the last few months. I already moved a significant part of my action to softer sites.

Party is a  notch softer, I mean, more regulars in total, but much higher amount of fish. There are some even softer sites, but regs dont prefer them because of low or non existent rb.

• Like 2

Hey, thanks for the message. I used to think Unibet was the softest site but as you say the games have become very reggy and at the 25s the RB is around 15% which is pointless. I’ve been playing some $10 6 max hypers on Party as the 5 mans on Unibet are generally too slow for my liking and although I’ve only been playing them 3 days I’m #1 ranked on Sharkscope for April 🤣
  • Like 5

Maybe Hexas had something to do with HUSNGs getting very tough? All those leaderboards and guaranteed jackpots probably attracted most players to Hexas rather than to 2-max SNGs :teardrop:

Also for me games have been just almost impossible to beat. TheNr playing €4 games again, JJenna playing €10 games rather than €100's, Eutenant not playing at all. February was a slighty losing month and March was basically break-even for me. Don't know where I should be playing next, deffo not at Unibet if games remain what they are. Maybe have to start playing those donkaments as well 😏

SNGs 1225
Rake €1 099,29
Profit/Loss €168,50 
ABI €29,91
ROI 0,46%

• Like 3

I don't like to be negative about the situation or Unibet because having worked with Stubbe in the testing group I can't emphasise how many different things he's working on at once and he's only ever been good to me with anything I've needed, such as refund for disconnections or issues with suspected unethical/cheating players. That being said, I spoke Patric, Kris and Leo when I met them in Dublin at the back end of 2018 just before Hexas were introduced and I had just quit my job to grind HUSNGs where my rec traffic was about to be decimated. I told them my fears then and it looks like they've become a reality. SNGs are all but dead imo and I think the lack of promotions around them shows that Unibet are happy for the focus to go solely on high rake Hexas.

18 months ago I used to grind the 25s to print money variance free, nowadays it's just full of regs. I've seen many regs drop down from 50s/100s to 10s/25s, myself included. Add to that I've ran horrific at the 100s+ over the past year it's just culminated in me losing a lot of passion for HUSNGs and ultimately looking elsewhere. I tried the 5 man SNGs as mentioned above and I know from speaking to @Dennis_ that they're very reliant on him and 2 other regs playing otherwise they rarely run at the 25s+, plus too slow for my liking.

I'm not going to talk specifics about other sites here as it would be unfair but I am starting to believe that other sites are taking better approaches in terms of SNGs, traffic, rakeback, liquidity etc. I've massively enjoyed my time playing on Unibet (apart from the downswings!) and of course the community but for now I need to look after myself and play where is going to be most beneficial to me. I hope that I can come back and grind on here again but it won't be under the current format (would need some seriously lower rake on Hexas or HUSNGs I think). I also miss streaming, it's something I really wanted to get into regularly but with the information I was giving away it became massively -EV for me.

GL to everyone! Feel free to PM me for info on where you can follow my progress.

• Like 6

Shame, but understandable that you are moving to other sites. Your blogs and grind have been inspiring! I think the rakeback situation at midstakes on Unibet isn't great but I guess it's very rare that any site has a good rake situation on all stakes. I like Unibet a lot but also I don't really have much choice since I'm playing on Linux 🤣

I have been able to make some slow profit at 25€ HU but probably I'm also running slightly above EV recently. There def aren't many fish on most days. I'm kind of looking forward to moving up from midstakes if I can ever pull it off for the sake of better rakeback.

Are there some gametypes where streaming is less -EV or is it always bad? I imagine in HU it's the most -EV

@SoljanovLieutenant plays the 25€ streets (for example today)

• Like 1

Thanks @CuteRaven

MTTs are probably the least impacted by streaming but I think Hexas could be ok depending on how often you're playing the same regs.

With regards to the 25s, I don't doubt that I could sit here grinding 8-10 hours a day and beat them fairly comfortably but with smaller edges these days and a real boredom of grinding against regs, it's just not worth it for me. I need something fresh and that's why I'm transitioning into 6m hypers.

• Like 3

come back shane GIF 

This scene made such a powerful impression on me at the time, the hoplessness and sense of abandonment. I don't think it's quite as bad as that as you move on but you will be missed (by most.) Don't lose touch and good luck in your career wherever it takes you. :Thumbsup:

• Like 3

"It turns out that 75% of all poker players think they play better than the other 75%."     image.png.99a4e82708d54abfc527324e8836768e.png

• 4 months later...

Having read those messages from 2+2 i really expect Unibet to do at least sow for him even if this is your statement:

We can't disclose any data from another customer, and we won't freeze any accounts either, based on accusations from another user. We have to operate by innocent until proven guilty. It'll be the wild west if anyone can accuse any user and have their account blocked.

Even given benefit of doubt that ❤️♥️❤️ didn't happen in this case, you can do sows without reason and now there is strong reason.

Now i understand why he was so intimidated of wudu as he wasn't really soft against scammers 😏