Why does Unibet have a reputation for being a 'soft' poker site?

illiteratum

Reading reviews of various sites before landing here in February the general view was that the site was easy. What do you think?

My background: for years poker paid for my holidays every year, playing up to the $50 STTs. I never felt comfortable at that level, was always happier at 10 and 20, and fell out of love with the game and have only just started playing again, ballooning around mainly in the 1 and 2 dollar sit and gos on here. No pressure; I can watch TV at the same time and not give a toss if I miss something. I'm about 160 quid up since Feb, just fupping about in the lower levels. If I could be bothered to use the cash ticket prizes properly as opposed to blowing 1 cent more than half the value so I get the rest as a cash payment I suspect the figure would be higher. But who wants to play to deliberately see flops? As a bonus criterium, it's encouraging bad play. I doubt I'll move back up the levels on this site because of things I don't like in the software so I may see you knocking round the lower stakes sit and go tables. Good luck!

Anyway...

My take on the Unibet site after a month or so: 

Bluntly... it IS soft. 

Cash games - too many players with identical games.  It's robotic. eg. "I'm on the button. I have to raise by 3X the BB if it's folded round to me". Everyone does it. If everyone does it, it isn't a profitable play. It can't be. You're trying to defy probability. The result is inevitable.

Sit and Gos - of which I have most experience - the usual litany of reasons. Here's a few:

1. The proportion of fold - call - raise actions is all wrong. Not enough folding; too much calling; and way under proportion of considered proportionate raising and reraising. 

2. Over use of the ALL-IN option. Forgotten is the old poker maxim of , "Maximise your winnings; minimise your losses." Many seem hell bent on doing the opposite.

3. The insta-call!. A player bets out and is raised. Does he consider the options? Does he think, "What has my opponent got?"  Or "What does he think I've got?" Nah, he calls instantaneously.

4. Lack of understanding of the implicit collusion involved in a Sit & Go. You see this most at the bubble stage when the Big Stack doesn't understand the dynamics between the other 2 players. He gets involved at the wrong times and in so doing he takes himself further away from cashing - it's nuts.

5. Pot odds. What are they? :Speechless:

6. No understanding of how the value of chips change as the STT progresses.

7. Why raise? Why use the minimum raise? Why use the minimum raise UTG?  I don't think players have thought those things through.

Then in PL Omaha, at which I'm useless and lack the attention span to improve much, some of the best cash players in the world say, "There is no hand which is worth the action of being the first to raise pre-flop." On here, some nuggets do it in every hand. If you're going to raise every hand merely to increase the pot size - play at a higher level.

Would be interested to hear your experience of the site versus experiences of others out there. Personally, I like it and with some software tweeks would love it but let's not kid ourselves, the standard is underwhelming.

Whilst I agree the site is softer than most I’m not sure why this is necessarily a bad thing? Almost sounds like you are complaining about consistently winning 😃

i wrote in my blog a bit about the differences I found at each level during the UOS events but I can’t really speak for cash game seeing as I’m largely useless at them anyway. I quite like the software and would most defo choose to play here over most if not all competitors and have been playing online 13 years. Again though I can only speak for tournaments where rake = points. I really like the idea of challenges but I Don’t really know how much they affect sng And cash games, but if they do encourage bad play, again, is that not something to take advantage of?

The site prides itself on being rec friendly which is great in my opinion and for this reason I’m sure will always be perceived to be soft.

I agree up to a point that the site is softer but I dont mind that at all, in fact I LOVE this site. As Ive said elsewhere Ive had more bonuses and free stuff in 3 mths than in years on other sites. I dont take notice of the challenges, just let them come naturally and it seems to work out ok. Im a small stakes player and LOVE the recently discovered great game of PLO, just sitting as @illiteratum says and watching 2 or more players trying to blow everybody out of every pot. Raise, reraise ,flop, c-bet raise, all in, its funny. ( More on that later in a new thread.) Anyway Im loving it, even free community comps, whats not to like. Sounds to me as if you could clean up if you got your act together but I play mainly cash so might not run into you.

Best of luck and stick with us.

"It turns out that 75% of all poker players think they play better than the other 75%."     image.png.99a4e82708d54abfc527324e8836768e.png

Not complaining, just observing. Putting that information out there won’t make a scrap of difference. After a few years off playing I was curious as to the character of the different sites now. So far I’ve had a sling at two of them, here and the 3 Fat Ladies, and they are very different. 

Agreed the bonuses and challenges are good but up until yesterday when I discovered you could exchange tickets I’ve been playing games I don’t really like. Hence slinging half the cash ticket away to turn the rest to cash.

Im a bit like that myself. Did all the Feb challenge but not keen on sngs and bounty so not reallybothered to complete Mar. Like the moving on up though and did that no prob. Ran the 10e up to 53 on270 flops so all good there but not great at 25e, lost half, cashed the rest. its really a case of pick and choose and like I said its all extras to the actual poker. Keep playing and good things come to those who wait ( or fold ). GL.

"It turns out that 75% of all poker players think they play better than the other 75%."     image.png.99a4e82708d54abfc527324e8836768e.png

Archived