One Million (hands) in One Year

Esir

Hey guys,

I managed to reach the 100k challenge points milestone and get myself a ticket to an Unibet Open satellite. I was wondering if anyone got some tips on how to approach this cause it seems like everytime I try to play some MTTs it's basicly a donation towards the prize pool (unless I sun walk).

322262461_Capture(1).JPG.8841e7a77efc1eda1f4ab9ebd21066e9.JPG

I would like to be part of an UO experience so I might make a challenge out of it once I'm done with this one.

On the cash game side everything is going on good, managed to overcome the run bad and poor results from the end of the february. We reached over 8k flops until now which is well above my estimates to be on track with the challenge. Let's hope this trend continues until the end of the month and we might dip our toes into bigger pools in april.

Capture.JPG.ec1ac60e9657a73ade887bc0aa0e5eae.JPG

Thank you,
Esir

• Like 3
Better to be lucky than good.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Short update.

Yesterday I decided to take a shot at 25NL, things didn't go so well as I lost 5 BI. The play style from 10NL to 25NL is totally different, people are hyper aggresive almost maniacs 3-betting K5o or squeezing 76o from SB, Aces no longer require 2 cards. It looks like every one wants to avoid seeing flops in order to not pay the atrocious rake (paying ~1€ because me and another guy both got dealt AK and went all in to split). I guess I have to nit up and play 6% of hands.
This is an observation of play style and other dynamics of this limit. Maybe there are other 25NL players that can add some things. 
Regarding the rake at 25NL many players have been vocal about it and it looks like Unibet keeps postponing these changes (I can see why).

I'll move back to 10NL to rebuild what we lost and take another shot in the future, hopefully I'll be better prepared and RNG will be on our side.

Brag Hand:

Decided to squeeze T8dd from the button only to flop the goodies and turn the coconuts. And on top of that our opponent decides to lead into us on the turn.

Str8Flush.thumb.JPG.97c6cc903cb08ebe960279381af43a51.JPG

See you at the tables,
Esir

• Like 3

@Brocky wrote:

Playing 6% of hands is not the way to beat 25nl. Aggression increases as you move up stakes for a reason.

Indeed it was an exageration on my side to emphasize the environment of 25NL. But with tables being anonymous, having little to no info on your opponents and 90% of the opened pots being 3-bet I thinking tightening my range is the safest approach. Atleast until I get a good idea on how the population plays on this limit. And get back to the drawing board cause it's clear I have some leaks to patch.

Well done on the points @Esir  and the number of hands played, keep it going.

There's no reason why not to take shots every so often, hopefully it will stick after a few goes. Don't worry about the stakes, just treat the table as if it's full of maniacs as you would at a lower level, I'm sure you'll have had plenty of those at times.

Good luck with the ticket as well, play steady and go careful with your shove and call ranges which you'll probably need at some time, don't panic if you get low on chips and don't think you have to play to win, you can qualify with 2 or 3 bb, just as good as a monster stack when you bag the ticket and very satisfying.😃👍

• Like 2

"It turns out that 75% of all poker players think they play better than the other 75%."     image.png.99a4e82708d54abfc527324e8836768e.png

Hello guys,

Short update. Today the RNG gods were on my side as I went on a massive heater to end the session 25BIs up. So if you are having a rough period don't forget that good things will come with discipline and patience.

Side Challenge update:

I managed to beat my previous record of 920bb on two tables during this session. My biggest stack being now at 1120bb.

Capture.thumb.JPG.7d0d208ed4e90a43693e993eda7c49c8.JPG

See you at the tables and have fun,
Esir

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

So March is finally over, the month went better than February, I don't have the results yet but I guess they will reflect this. I had a bit more free time this month and managed to put in the hours. I think I surpassed the 100k mark hands but we'll see for sure in the coming days.

Also with the end of the month also came the end of the 1st quarter. So if anyone is looking to grind mostly 10NL this is the amount of challenge points you'll probably achieve over around 250k - 300k hands. The rakeback is not that impressive, I think it starts being noticeable once you start playing 100NL+. But nonetheless it is something.

Quarter.JPG.456dbe7476c7a6faa1a815b75014215e.JPG
I'll be back next days with the usual updates.

Have an amazing week,
Esir

• Like 7

Hello,

The March update is here:

• Hands Played: 124565 / 85000
  • Total Hands: 294207 / 1000000
  • Winrate: 10bb/100 (4NL) | 8bb/100 (10NL) | -4bb/100 (25NL)

Most of the hands were played on the 10NL so the other limits are not so relevant but I'll keep including them as they are part of the journey. My 25NL adventure did not start so well, I took a few shots but I got sent back to my 10NL tables. I ended the month with 2BIs down at 25NL. I'll keep on trying until it becomes part of my regular schedule but I won't be reckless with my bankroll as I was in the past and got sent back to single tabling 4NL. Beside being a volume challenge this is also somehow a bankroll "challenge" as I'm trying to climb the Unibet Cash Ladder, become a regular on the higher limits and improve my game with every limit I play. But I won't get into details on this matter as they are not relevant to the main subject and it may also take more than a few months.

This is it for now, thank you for reading and have fun at the tables.
Esir

• Like 5

Thankyou for the update.

The number of hands is nicely on target and the winrate is positive, just keep going and you will get there, gl. 👍😃

• Like 1

"It turns out that 75% of all poker players think they play better than the other 75%."     image.png.99a4e82708d54abfc527324e8836768e.png

• 3 weeks later...
 wrote:

Not knowing may well haunt you @Esir ,but sometimes finding out can cost too much. What price peace of mind? :scared:

I got a little bit of mind peace a few hands later as I got my money back and the rest of his stack. But the question "what if?" keeps lingering in my mind. 

I'm not sure if this was the ideal way of playing this spot.

Don’t really like the line. Why check on the flop?  Not a real fan of having AA in a check raise range on turn in here in a single raised pot. Can you give me a couple of other hands you put into your check/raise range on turn and which you play the same way? Likewise which hands do you check here on flop? Can argue for that AA can be checked at some frequency but I prefer bet the majority of the time. I’m not trying to say “You are unbalanced <GTO rant rant rant>......” but think this exercise will be a good one to better understand the spot and also your opponents line. He is on Button right?

(*Hint* He has all the two pairs and sets in his range on this flop and with this line.)

• Like 1

@Silver1 wrote:

Don’t really like the line. Why check on the flop?  Not a real fan of having AA in a check raise range on turn in here in a single raised pot. Can you give me a couple of other hands you put into your check/raise range on turn and which you play the same way? Likewise which hands do you check here on flop? Can argue for that AA can be checked at some frequency but I prefer bet the majority of the time. I’m not trying to say “You are unbalanced <GTO rant rant rant>......” but think this exercise will be a good one to better understand the spot and also your opponents line. He is on Button right?

I want to have a strong checking range OOP at a low frequency especially on boards that rarely hit my range. I agree that the raise on the turn was bad as it is better for the V range. It was better a check raise on the flop as I get value from all the overpairs. Or maybe a bet/bet/fold line was optimal as well.

Tbh I don't think that the hands that I would check raise with on the turn oop would not bet on the flop, gutters, str8 draws, flush draws and sets. So yes a pretty bad move on my part.

(*Hint* He has all the two pairs and sets in his range on this flop and with this line.)

This is what I was thinking as well when I got to the river.

Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 2

”I want to have a strong checking range OOP at a low frequency especially on boards that rarely hit my range.”

Sounds good! Especially good if V is a heavy flop barreling and bluffish type of player. Read less like in this case I go with bet though.

I lean towards bet/bet/bet-fold on this texture, position and stacks.

You got it! AA fits better into another range (see above) in this spot. I have hard to see any hands and a potential range you play this way and also how you balance such a range played in this way. I know that balancing can be a bit of overrated (for ex due to that V might not be observant enough) but if you think of it from the perspective that it helps you to not end up in complicated spots it can be a helpful tool for yourself to ensure you are not over bluffing or under bettering for value etc.

NP mate:)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

April is finally over. A lot of free time, a lot of grinding, shots taking and swings. I need a vacation.

April Challenge Update:

Hands Played: 118852 / 85000

Total Hands: 413059 / 1000000

Winrate: 

• 4NL:  51bb/100 (Under 5k hands)
  • 10NL: 15bb/100
  • 25NL: 1.59bb/100 (Bad run + bad play = poor results, had to move up for people to respect my raises)
  • 50NL: 8bb/100 (Under 10k hands)

Might get into more details later. Until then I wish you good luck at the tables and have fun.

Esir

• Like 8

@Esir wrote:

Winrate: 

@Esir  you are my CASH-game inspiration! Sooo you are able to got as far as 51bb per 100 flops ??? how, wow ?! :Geek:

I do not like tight-as-a-b1tch approach because I'm getting involved by loosing players and getting suck-up afterwards which tilts me a lot ... advice, please ?

• Like 1

@MadAdo wrote:

@Esir wrote:

Winrate: 

@Esir  you are my CASH-game inspiration! Sooo you are able to got as far as 51bb per 100 flops ??? how, wow ?! :Geek:

I do not like tight-as-a-b1tch approach because I'm getting involved by loosing players and getting suck-up afterwards which tilts me a lot ... advice, please ?

Thanks for the kind words @MadAdo but I wouldn't call myself an inspiration as I have a lot of things to learn. That winrate is not reliable as it is a small sample size.

One piece of advice that I can give you that works for all the cash game limits is the following: 

Once you sit down at the table try to label each player skill wise and identify which players are weaker than you (Even if this means that you fold some hands that you would otherwise play). Then try to get in pots with them, preferably in position (I lost a lot playing out of position chasing these players) and with a strong range of hands.

Beside this strong fundamentals are important and is good to revisit the theoretical side of game from time to time.

Bad beats will always come, just reload and play your best.

• Like 1

Are you using solvers for studies? Which approach do you use? Would be intetesting to hear due to that HUDs are not allowed and it narrows down the software that change used for improving once game. Don’t get me wrong, I like Unibet and one of the reasons to this is the non-HUD policy.

@Silver1 wrote:

Are you using solvers for studies? Which approach do you use? Would be intetesting to hear due to that HUDs are not allowed and it narrows down the software that change used for improving once game. Don’t get me wrong, I like Unibet and one of the reasons to this is the non-HUD policy.

I am not there yet. So no solvers. A lot of volume and off the tables I watch/read videos and articles related to strategy (RIO, Upswing etc).

• Like 1