Nightshopper's MTT & SNG Challenge

nightshopper

Great work! I think its really good you're tracking your deep finishes must be inspiring to know you have played so well over a sustained period :)

Interesting you havent had any discipline issues lately, and really good to read  

Just wondering if you think there's a reason for that? Do you feel any different when you are playing? Have you changed anything about your sessions / or approach etc? 

Nice results! Have a good weekend

• Like 1

Thanks @SkilfulPoker! But I overviewed my recent results and suddenly I remember there was one evening where I played some HU's I shouldn't have played, I had forgotten about that. Probably cause it had no impact on my bankroll. That evening I got triggered by a big hand I lost with AA in the Titan. My opponent rivered a straight and busted me, which I thought made me bubble. Apparently two other players busted about the same time, which meant I was in the money anyway. I remember I was relieved, but I started tilting anyway. The reason was that in my opinion my opponent didn't play that hand well and wasn't entitled to bust me and my AA in that hand :dissatisfied: I guess it was 'entitlement tilt'. I felt that I should have won the hand, that I shouldn't have busted and that I should have made a deep run in that tourney.

Apart from that misstep, one thing that might have been different was that one evening I felt really really tired - whereas on other evenings I feel just tired 😉 - so when I busted my first few tourneys I quit early instead of registering any other stuff. If I had kept on playing I would have probably played bad and I might have even tilted cause of that. I surprised myself by quitting, cause most of the time I don't do that. I remember also one evening when I 'rage quit' Twitch and Unibet after bubbling an important tourney. It was already late so I had to quit anyway but it was a bubble that made me really tilt so I'm glad I closed all of my windows instead of 'tilt regging' some SNG's or HU's.

So yeah, I'm not happy about the misstep I described, but I am happy with some other decisions I made.

In two days from now I'm playing the €250 UK Tour and to be honest I feel very excited about it but at the same time I know it's a tourney that can make me tilt big time. Of course I know it's just one tourney with the same chance of going out with a bad beat or a cooler as any other one, but it would hurt so much more than in any other tourney. If I bubble this one, I already know I would feel very bad. If you guys have any suggestions on this, feel free to share it here 😃

• Like 4

@nightshopper I'm so glad you seem to be on the right road for now, quitting when about to tilt, not before, or not carrying on when feeling too tired. Both good signs so keep it going. Best of luck in the UK, sadly I won't be joining you  but I'm certainly on your side.👍😃

• Like 1

"It turns out that 75% of all poker players think they play better than the other 75%."     image.png.99a4e82708d54abfc527324e8836768e.png

@SkilfulPoker  Thanks man! I'm hyped, I'm excited, I'm ready :happy: At the same time, in my head I'm already busted. It's a mental exercise that I do to protect myself from being too disappointed of course. Which doesn't mean I won't be disappointed if I bust, but if I get my hopes up too high it gets too painful 😃 Of course it will also depend on the way I bust. I hope it won't be in a way that I get mad at myself for making a stupid mistake, that would be worse than a bad beat. Anyway, it's also just another tournament and I will play my game!

• Like 2

@nightshopper wrote:

@SkilfulPoker  Thanks man! I'm hyped, I'm excited, I'm ready :happy: At the same time, in my head I'm already busted. It's a mental exercise that I do to protect myself from being too disappointed of course. Which doesn't mean I won't be disappointed if I bust, but if I get my hopes up too high it gets too painful 😃 Of course it will also depend on the way I bust. I hope it won't be in a way that I get mad at myself for making a stupid mistake, that would be worse than a bad beat. Anyway, it's also just another tournament and I will play my game!

Love this! This is exactly the approach BenCB recommended for the mental game in one of his YouTube videos I watched. Go into each tournament expecting to bust but playing your best! This is very wise as then you aren't disappointed if bust and nice surprise if have deep run! It has a great stoicism idea in it too, of expecting the worst to never be disappointed

• Like 1

It's an attitude or mental state that I try to have in daily life too. The more you expect, the more you can get disappointed, frustrated, angry,... Not expecting much isn't the same as not hoping, not being ambitious or not dreaming about stuff you want, like I said it's a way of protecting yourself. It may sound easy, but in poker I still have too many moments where the game gets to me cause of expectations. Since this is a big tourney for me, I've been focussing on this state of mind for days now, whereas on normal poker days I'm not always focussing on my mental state of mind that much 😃

• Like 2

Unfortunately I busted the UK Tour Sunday evening in 51st place, 16 spots from the money. The good news is that it was a good experience: I was very focussed, I took notes and I had a good idea of how my opponents were playing. Which gives me mixed feelings: I'm gonna be honest, in general I don't pay enough attention to other players. It's hard to do it when playing four tables, combined with chatting and making music requests on Twitch stream. The 'problem' is that I make money playing the way I do, so there doesn't seem to be a reason to change it 😃 Of course I realize that if I'd focus more, I'd probably have even better results. Also, every time that I focus this way and I make good decisions because of that, it gives me such a great feeling. That's why I came up with this plan: I have one €50 and seven €25 tickets left, so when I play one of those that will be my main table and I will 'extra focus' on that one. I will play two smaller tables on the side, so I will three table instead of four table. It's exactly what I did during the UK Tour. I must admit I didn't play my best poker on the other two tables and did too many yolo moves, so that's why I think it's best to play €2 or €5 games on the side.

Starting BR: €2082,46 ( 3/3 )

Loss:                 €17,68

New BR:       €2064,78 ( 8/3 ) 

Ticket BR:            €234

• Like 8

Sad to hear about the results of your 250€ but anyway at least u enjoyed playing it ! It isn't the last time u will bust on a 250€ ;)

U may not know me but i have been following since the early days of the thread, didn't have an account so i couldn't interact with u guys. I really enjoyed reading your updates about your adventures on the tables throughout time.

@nightshopper: We have talked once during an evening on Elron's Stream a few month ago (in december i think so if u don't remember it's totally normal ahah) but u got me motivated to respect as much as possible the 100buy-in BRM advice. I tried to stick to it as i could and after a couple of 430 mtt's (ABI 0.91€) i'm up to 284.00€ ! But i'm truggling a bit limiting myself to the same tournaments sessions after session...

Therefore i'm thinking of writing a thread of my adventures, that could build up some confidence back. Did yours help with that ?

And i also have all the data from my account sorted in an Excel sheet so it could be interessting to have some feat back about my graoh & ROI from other players that beated the nano's-micro's stakes.

• Like 3

Hey @Toums, thanks for reading this thread and for reacting! Very nice to read you found a way to increase your bankroll, you seem to have some nice results. You say you find it difficult to keep on playing the same tournaments and the same stakes over and over again and that's very recognizable. At the moment you have almost €300, so I guess you grind the €1 and €2 MTT's and maybe still some nano events? Do you play satties? Cause that's the healthy way to take shots :happy: With your bankroll I'd play some qualifiers to €5 and €10 MTT's, at least if you feel confident enough about your satty play. And if you don't, I'd suggest reading Dara O'Kearny's book on this subject.

Of course there is the less healthy way too: you can take some shots from time to time, but I find it hard to do that in a disciplined way. Grinding with discipline can be tough. Right now I'm in a period where my bankroll hasn't changed much for a few weeks, which feels kinda boring. It makes me wanna take shots, so that's why it's important I have several tickets in my account for tournaments that are out of my bankroll. Recently I made an overview of my biggest scores in this challenge and obviously many of them came from bigger MTT's I played with tickets.

I would certainly recommend starting a thread on your own micro stakes adventures. It helped me a lot to keep me motivated. As you might have read that doesn't mean I have kept discipline all the time, but after every misstep I wrote about it. The reactions from people of this community really help me with my mental game. I would certainly follow your thread!

Some last advice: try to find the games you're good at. There's a lot of choice nowadays: 9-handed or 6-max, fast or slow blind structure, the size of the field, rebuy/addon games, bounty games,... Which ones do you prefer?

Oh and if you wanna take a shot at the next UOS UK Tour: reg the UK flips every day, until you get enough €1 satty tickets and try to qualify. It's a cheap way to try and play a big one :atisfied:

• Like 2

Hi @nightshopper ! Well i have decided to dedicate the moment to grind at least 4 session a week, and i managed to play 134 mtt's this month yet. I followed your advice and analysed all my data in order to write down a Blog. Watching how i got there really boosted me to grind. I'm filled with confidence since i finally really realise how good my "long turn (500mtt's)" is going.

Concerning Satties, well i actually studied it a lot back in the days so i'm used to adjusting my plays to the format. I gived it a try and got a couple of 5 & 10 euros (3-2 tickets each) in 15 games. I only add qualifiers when i'm 3 tabling, since they all are 9 handed it can they can be quite boring.

Aaaah i hate those period when nothing really moves in your BK. Do you have an idea of how much tournaments you manage to play on average per week? It can also be related to the fact that the field u are playing is probably way tougher and so your ROI tend to be lower.

Well personally the best format to the grind the nano's is a 6max Bounty (50%-50% prizepool) with like 8min blinds, 6max Freezout 8min bb starting 100bb. I don't really like the add-ons games but if i have 200 buy-ins i don't mind.

Concerning the 5euros tickets, i try to look for 6max bounties tournaments don't there don't seem to be running during my play time... U have any advice how i should use them ? Totally avoid rebuy & add-on tournaments i guess ?

Thanks all the advice i will try to make the best from it ! I will certainly try to win some of those UK tour tickets, playing a live event one day will be set on the challenge list !

GL on the tables :)

My best results the last weeks were a €41,67 profit in a €25 Bestie's homegame I played with a ticket, a €46,54 profit in the €5 Sputnik, a €45,2 profit in the UOS Sirius Banzai Bounty Low and a €58,87 profit for my 2nd place in the €5 Shooting Star Bounty. I've had some bad evenings when it comes to discipline, I must admit. The thing is that I really should plan my poker evenings better. If I don't plan it very well, I start regging stuff I shouldn't play cause I should get to bed earlier. That way I don't get enough sleep, which makes me tired the day after, which makes me play worse poker in the evening, and so on... So yeah, the discipline starts with planning my poker evenings and with sticking to it of course. Next period I will try to focus on that leak.

These are the MTT's I should restrict myself to on most evenings (apart from qualifiers)

19:00 €2 Singularity

19:00 €10 Dark Matter

19:45 5€ Falling Star Bounty

20:00 €2 Zenith

20:15 €10 R/A Sputnik Omaha (haven't been playing it much but it only takes 3h15 on average so it fits my schedule)

between 20:30 and 21:30 Bestie's homegame (different buy-ins every day)

21:15 €5 Ante Solar

22:30 €2 Sirius Banzai Bounty

On Saturday I add

19:30 €5 Stratosphere 

20:00 €1 MotherShip Poker Main Event

On Sunday I add

19:00 €5 R/A Nebula

On some weekend evenings (mostly Fridays) I can add a few games that start/last later:

20:30 €5 R/A Good Luck, Mr. Gorsky

21:00 €5 R/A Sputnik

21:30 €2 R/A Galaxy

21:45 €10 Omaha Falling Star Bounty

22:15 €10 R/A Unidentified Object

22:45 €5 Shooting Star Bounty (unless I have to get up too early)

23:00 €10 Asteroid

And then there are some €25 games I can play if I have a ticket

20:00 Abyss

20:45 Dwarf Star Bounty

I have added this schedule to my spreadsheet, so I hope it will help me with my game selection. A better game selection should lead to more discipline when it comes to getting enough sleep. Not sleeping enough is a big poker leak, but even more important it's a very big life leak of mine.

Starting BR: €2064,78 ( 8/3 )

Profit:                 €78,10

New BR:       €2142,88 ( 20/3 ) 

Ticket BR:            €189

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

The last few weeks I haven't been feeling great in general. As a result of that I did terrible on the mental part of poker, which resulted in a few evenings of chasing losses. The low point was last Saturday. I'm gonna be honest about it. Some time ago I had another of those evil evenings where I started playing SNG's and HU's outside the BR. I don't remember how much I lost with that, I think around €80. But I didn't subtract that number from my BR, instead I made a side note in my excel sheet. So I used my 'life roll' instead of my poker bankroll. The same happened last Saturday and again I made a side note, so I chose to fool myself again. The good thing is that I decided to not play poker for a few days. I also withdrew some money and treated myself to a tablet and a new headphone. 

Today my head feels clear again. I decided to take my 'side losses' into account, which means my BR has dropped to around €2000. Totally no disaster, it's just a shame it happened the way it did. But I feel kinda relieved I'm honest to myself now, that way I can move on.

Another thing I did is make a week scheme, not only for poker. I will play four evenings a week instead of almost every evening. In Corona times there isn't much to do in the evenings, so poker and Twitch is an easy way to be entertained. Another consequence of Corona times is that I've been drinking beer way more evenings, as a substitute to pub visits. The problem is that it became a habit: playing poker and having some beers. Often it made me feel bad the day after and it influenced my mood in a bad way. So I decided to take control again, in terms of poker but also alcohol. 

Tonight I will be playing again and I'm glad to say I'm gonna do so with a clear head, which hadn't been the case for some time now.

Starting BR: €2142,88 ( 20/3 )

Loss:               €131,36

New BR:       €2011,52 ( 27/3 ) 

Ticket BR:             €38

• Like 8

The past few days were amazing! Friday I shipped the €25 Shooting Star Bounty. It wasn't the best bounty tournament I played though, since the only bounty I won was the last one in the heads up :happyshy: Pretty sure I didn't always make the right decisions when it comes to the bounties playing, but in this case I can live with that. Yesterday also was pretty good: got 2nd in Bestie's PKO game, 6th in the €5 Sputnik but most of all I binked the Gorsky! It was a tough final table with some good regs, so had to be patient and pick the right moments. And get lucky of course :atisfied: I'm very happy with this win, cause it's one of those tournaments I liked since I started playing it more often and I always thought the structure suited me.

The next three days I won't be playing much and that's a good thing, cause I wanna avoid getting too obsessed again. Tonight I might just play some qualifiers, since my ticket roll has disappeared completely. Anyway, happy with my play, my results and my max bankroll. Now let's keep the discipline!

Starting BR: €2011,52 ( 27/3 )

Profit:                €189,8

New BR:          €2365,3 ( 3/4 ) 

Ticket BR:                €0

• Like 9

@OmahGAWD Thanks! Yeah it's weird and I think it shows I still have a lot to learn when it comes to bounty play. I've read half of Dara O'Kearny's PKO book, I still have to finish it. I think it's about finding the right balance between going for the bounties and valueing your tournament life. Once that I'm in a position of being the low stack at a bounty table I think it's difficult to find the right shoving spot. I don't remember everything, but I know I had a low stack for a long time. So when we got close to the money I probably didn't come in a good spot to get a bounty and then I just try to get ITM and take it from there. But yeah, I think I still have a lot to learn in the PKO area 😃

• Like 2

No binks the last week, but still going up! I had some tough evenings that started as a disaster, but I managed to make some nice come backs. My best MTT result was a 2nd in the Asteroid and I made some small money in the Fireball, 5€ Shooting Star Bounty and 5€ Multiverse. But the most winnings came from the SNG's. I've reached the €2500 mark, so technically I can play €25 MTT's. I've put some in the mix already, but not too many cause I  don't wanna go crazy with the BR. 

I'm thinking of doing more qualifiers, but there don't seem to be many satties to €25 tickets. I can try to bink some €50 tickets instead and I definitely should try to get a Supernova or a Supermoon ticket. Those tourneys aren't the best for my sleeping schedule, but a good run in of those would make up for that 😛 

That's all for now, let's keep on grinding!

Starting BR:  €2365,3 ( 3 / 4 )

Profit:               €183,5

New BR:        €2548,8 (11/4 ) 

Ticket BR:           €1,2

• Like 10

Thanks a lot, guys! This support really means a lot to me. It's still a mental battle so all the support is welcome 😃

@JBKH89 I'm from Belgium and unfortunately we don't get any rakeback or bonuses anymore. It's the same for Swedish, Danish and German players. Of course that makes it even harder to grind the way up but at the same time it gives me an extra feeling of pride!

• Like 6

It has been a good week so far! Especially last Monday I had some great runs: 3rd in the Abyss, 4th in @IanSimpson 's home game and final tables of the Dark Matter and the 5€ Falling Star Bounty. Yesterday my best result was a 4th place in the €25 Leaderboard High Re-enter, which was an upgraded Gargle Blaster. 

I played some UO qualifiers, but not many. I didn't have to work last week so I was able to play some later games than usual and I didn't really feel like playing many satties. I might play more of them when I do some shorter poker sessions. I collected 6 satty tickets for the Supermoon by regging the flips, so I should start that grind too. Trying to qualify for these bigger events is a nice motivation, since my experience of playing the UOS UK Tour Online was a great one 😃

Starting BR:  €2548,80 (11/4 )

Profit:              €210,59

New BR:        €2759,93 (16/4 ) 

Ticket BR:           €10,4

• Like 8

It hasn't been a long time since I reached the €2500 mark, but the €3000 mark isn't far away already. This week there was a 4th place in @IanSimpson's homegame, 3rd place in the Gargle Blaster, 3rd in the Leaderboard Low Bounty and I got my second €200 Sirius Banzai Bounty trophy. 

The plan was to play some more satties and so I did. For the Supermoon I now have two €2 tickets and two €10 tickets, for the UO I have three €4 tickets and I have a €50 and a €25 generic ticket. Not sure which €50 MTT I'll play. I like the structure of the Comet, but I might give the Mercury Blue Bounty a first try. Playing a bounty game with a big ticket means good value, so that one might be interesting. I just checked that one in the lobby and apparently the duration of the blind levels decreases. I guess that means I should play more tight in the first one and a half hour, but of course it's still  a bounty game. I'm curious about the dynamics in this particular game. I think it's the only MTT on Unibet with decreasing duration of the blind levels? If I feel good I might play it tomorrow evening, so we'll see how it goes 😄

Starting BR:  €2759,93 (16/4 )

Profit:              €155,76

New BR:        €2915,69 (22/4 ) 

Ticket BR:        €111,00

• Like 11

I'm gonna be honest, I feel like a complete idiot. Last time I wrote the €3000 mark wasn't far away. I guess in my head I was already there, which for me is the most stupid thing to do. So last Sunday I totally lost it. I started playing SNG's, hoping to reach that €3000 mark. That didn't go well and I started playing higher SNG's and HU's. I ran bad, I played bad, it was awful. Damage: €188,29. The poker gods decided not to punish me for my stupid behaviour though. That same evening I got 2nd in the Gargle Blaster for a €173,69 profit, so eventually it was a very small losing session. But how is it possible that I got carried once again, just cause I wanted to reach that €3000 mark as soon as possible? I mean, this challenge is going great, way better than I had expected, but still I can't say my mental game is on point. 

Monday I started playing and I immediately felt I was playing good poker, with enough focus and patience. That's why I decided to play the Mercury Blue Bounty with my €50 ticket and the Abyss with my €25 ticket. I also qualified for Ian Simpson's homegame. No cashes in that one and the Abyss, but my first Mercury adventure is one I'll never forget. I got a middle stack pretty early in the game, so I felt quite comfortable. It starts with long blind levels (4 X 15min and 4 X 12min), which felt really nice. I collected a few bounties so I was already in a nice profit, since I played it with a ticket. When we were approaching the money spots my stack had decreased quite a bit so I was in surviving mode for a long time. I managed to get ITM as a shortstack, but still with enough chips to play my patient laddering game. I didn't have the stack to get bounties so laddering was the way to go, especially since I know I often have more patience than other players in these stages. So I laddered and I laddered some more and suddenly we were heads up. The pay day was sweet anyway but I wanted to win this soooooo hard. I was the short stack for about 90% of the time, but I knew I had to keep my patience. I folded a lot to their shoves, waiting for the right spot. And this time it worked! I binked my first €50 game ever! 🥳🥳🥳

Conclusion: I feel proud and silly at the same time. On Sunday I was playing like a fool so I could reach the €3000 bankroll as fast as possible, while on Monday the bankroll was almost at €3500... I wanna scream to myself: stop being so obsessed with your BR! You're doing great, you'll be fine, there's no need to be in a hurry! I hope one day I listen to myself...

Starting BR:  €2915,69 (22/4)

Profit:              €551,79

New BR:        €3467,48 (27/4) 

Ticket BR:         €32,00

• Like 10