Nightshopper's MTT & SNG Challenge

nightshopper

I played 6 tourneys and 2 SNG's and had a small loss. I have to admit I four tabled for a while and to be honest it had an impact on my game. My focus isn't good enough when I play four tables at the same time, it's as simple as that. Why did I play four tables? I regged three at first, but I knew I wanted to play the MotherShip Launchpad too so I knew I was gonna have four tables open. I guess it's being greedy. So my next poker evening it's back to two or three tables. The good news is that I won a €5 ticket, which I will probably use for the Ante Solar ❤️

Starting BR:  €229,0

Loss:                €3,93 

New BR:       €225,07 

Ticket BR:        €5,00

• Like 7

It shouldnt be a big difference betwen 1 euro games and 2 euro so I think that if u beat the 1s you will doing it at 2s aswell. Regard of youre question its a good idea to move down if u dont show a profit and if you feel the opponents are better than you but I dont think that will be the case. I wish good luck with this blog and with youre poker journey aswell, I will be starting mine aswell soon here on unibet I had some experience playing on other sites but its boring to grind alone. Im looking to find some poker buddies to learn and grow togheather if you are serious about the game and you want to get better youre welcome. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply! I know there isn't much difference between the €1 and €2 games and I know I can beat them both, so the reason for my very strict BRM is that it's essential for my mental game. I've had several bad experiences, so now I really stick to this game plan. Anyway, I hope your Unibet journey will be a nice one. I'll keep an eye on your blog! If you wanna get in touch with other Unibet players to discuss hands and other stuff, apart from this community you can also tune in to the streams on Twitch. It's a great place to watch Unibet players, to chat with us about poker and also for some good fun and banter. There are streams at https://www.twitch.tv/unibetpoker, but there are also streams on other channels. Tonight we'll hang out at https://www.twitch.tv/elron66, tomorrow at https://www.twitch.tv/iansimpsonpoker. Feel free to come and say hi :Smile:

Yesterday the poker went well. Unfortunately I couldn't cash the Ante Solar with my €5 ticket, but I was 5th in the Sputnik Omaha Nano and 2nd in the Black Hole Nano. Losing heads up always makes you feel you could have won, but I should be happy with the result :Happy: Normally I don't play the Black Hole Nano anymore cause it lasts way too late, but since it was impossible to sleep early due to the heat I decided to give it another go :Veryhappy:

Starting BR:  €225,07

Profit:               €20,05 

New BR:       €245,12 

Ticket BR:        €0,00

• Like 7

I played 3 MTT's, 1 qualifier and 1 SNG. Got 2nd in the SNG and didn't cash any of the other stuff. While playing I felt I was getting too tired so I unregged the Space Madness Bounty and quit playing. Sometimes I keep on playing even when I feel much too tired, so I'm happy with the decision! 

Starting BR:  €245,12

Loss :                 €4,93 

New BR:       €240,19 

• Like 8

Getting tired for sure is a one of the major leaks within people in general. It's our stupid heads that often tries to see things in a way of god.

As soon as you start to realize the fact that your dumbass brain is nothing but another point of view, the game starts to get easier.

• Like 2

Very wise, philosophical words @Rushbie ;) 

Yesterday I wasn't too tired though and I didn't play bad, but I was unlucky at some important moments. After all those years I still hate bubbling and yesterday I bubbled twice, in the Zenith and the Wormhole. In the SNG's I made a small profit, overall a small loss.

Starting BR:  €240,19

Loss :                 €2,74 

New BR:       €237,45 

• Like 2

Friday I made a good profit thanks to a 2nd place in the Singularity. Yesterday I had a small profit from SNG's and an 8th place in the €200 Leaderboard Low Freezeout.

Starting BR:  €237,45

Profit:              €19,12 

New BR:        €256,57 

• Like 7

The last four days I've been playing mainly €2 SNG's, with decent results. I also played a few qualifiers for MTT tickets, but I'm running terrible in them. At the moment I stick to my rule to play three tables at the same time instead of four. 

Starting BR:  €256,57 ( 15/8 )

Profit:               €14,66

New BR:        €272,22 ( 19/8 ) 

• Like 10

I played some SNG's for two days and the last two days I went back to some MTT grinding. My bankroll almost reached the €280 but yesterday was a terrible evening: 7 MTT's and all I got was a €0,34 bounty. My focus wasn't always great, I must admit. I think it won't be bad to watch some poker video's, that could bring back the focus I need. 

Starting BR:  €272,22 ( 19/8 )

Loss:                   €1,03

New BR:        €271,19 ( 23/8 ) 

• Like 6

My BR has been going a bit up and down the last days. The good news is that the SNG's went really good, the bad news is that I'm really struggling in the MTT's. I have to admit my focus hasn't always been what it should be. To be honest I think I play too much and I should go back to a few evenings without any poker. Next Tuesday the kids go back to school, which means as a family we go back to a situation with more structure. That should help me to find a system with more discipline. Tonight I'm going to the pub, that will also help me with the discipline 😀

Starting BR:  €271,19 ( 23/8 )

Profit:                 €4,91 

New BR:        €276,08 ( 28/8 ) 

Ticket BR:        €5,25

• Like 6

Still not running well in MTT's. Apart from a 4th and 5th place in the Zenith I had no nice scores the last week. I also have to admit I played a €5 MTT and I did a rebuy in some €2 MTT's, which isn't part of the plan. In other words, the runbad makes me do stuff I shouldn't do. No extreme stuff, but still it's not good discipline. I must confess I find it hard to keep the discipline, to keep on grinding at the same level all the time. Particularly in a runbad period it feels frustrating and I feel the need to level up. A very big leak, I'm aware of it. Some evenings I four tabled again, which isn't the best idea either. I felt better when I played max 3 tables, my focus was better. While I'm writing this I feel motivated to get back to that focus and motivation. I will try to get back to it tonight! Let's do it!

Starting BR:  €276,08 ( 28/8 )

Loss:                   €7,22 

New BR:        €268,86 ( 4/9 ) 

Ticket BR:          €0,25

• Like 8

I had a great last week, the highlight was a tourney which was above my bankroll :happyshy: It was one of Besties home games with a €7 buy in, which I played cause it was full of friends from the Twitch community. It turned out well since I ended up winning it for a €38,5 net profit :happy: I also had a 3rd place in a Singularity and a good result in the MotherShip Main Event of @elron66. Tonight there's a new Main Event, looking forward  to that one. Some days I didn't run well and I remember whining about it in Twitch chat, which feels a bit stupid in retrospect 😏 I guess I should be patient and believe that the good results always come if I just maintain my focus. I also have a €10 and a €5 ticket in my bankroll, which I will probably use for the upcoming UOS.

Starting BR:  €268,86 ( 4/9 )

Profit:               €66,26 

New BR:        €335,12 ( 11/9 ) 

Ticket BR:       €15,25

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while since I updated my blog. The reason for this is that I failed again in the discipline part of the challenge. To be clear, with money aside from the challenge. I will still continue the challenge, in another attempt to be disciplined. One of the reasons I can't keep my discipline is that I get bored by strict BRM and I wanna play higher. That's why I will now add a possibility for some shots. If I can take shots in a disciplined way, it's better than just going nuts. In this case I will play some €5 MTT's and €4 SNG's until my BR drops down below €300. Then it's back to €2 games only. I hope this approach will work.

The bankroll itself went a bit up and down the last weeks. Since the UOS are on again, I played many qualifiers. I have two €25 tickets, four €10 tickets and one €5 ticket left, hopefully I can do good things with those!

Starting BR:  €335,12 ( 11/9 )

Loss:                  €1,55 

New BR:        €333,57 ( 29/9 ) 

Ticket BR:             €95

• Like 13

Keep it up Shopper. I know it can be hard to keep your cool. but maybe its a good idea for you to schedule a "cheat night" every so often where you pre-plan a certain amount of "mad money" you cab use on bigger events, just to scratch your "take a shot" itch. That way, you scratch that itch regularly, and perhaps its easier to stick to good BRM the rest of the time.
  • Like 4

As I said in Twitch chat, thanks for the advice @elron66 . The thing is that scheduling cheating evenings on regular basis would take care of one part of my problem, the urge to play bigger from time to time. However, there still is the other part of my problem which is that I find it very difficult to lose a part of my bankroll. Of course I don't tilt every time my bankroll drops down, but it happens. It's easy to say I just should cope with that cause it's the reality of every poker player, but apparently for me it's not as simple as that. 

Back to the challenge. Apart from the discipline issue it's going great. Last Wednesday the bankroll got a first boost after binking a €2 Singularity. Yesterday was amazing: first I binked a €25 ticket in the Unibet Experts Daily Freeroll (I'm not an expert, you just have to be Belgian to get in), then I got 2d in @elron66 's MotherShip Poker Main Event and most of all I shipped the €2 Galaxy! In the MotherShip Main Event I was chipleader for a long time so I kinda expected/hoped to get a good result there, but in the Galaxy I was shortstacked from let's say 10th to 3rd place so I was basically trying to ladder up the whole time. The €2 Galaxy is a very nice one to win for someone with my bankroll, so obviously I'm very happy with that :happy:

But... To be honest this is a very important moment in the discipline part of my challenge. In the past it went wrong several times when my bankroll had a nice boost, like now. My issue is that if my bankroll goes up a lot in a short time, my expectations go up similarly. In this case I was getting close to €400, which I was looking forward to since it would allow me to play €4 (or €2 R/A) games. But now all of a sudden my bankroll is getting closer to €500, the level where I can play €5 MTT's. So in my head it's like I'm already there. My expectations have grown in a very short period of time, which will make it hard to deal with when my bankroll goes down. Of course I realize that from a rational point of view this makes no sense. It's a very irrational issue, I understand it but nevertheless this has been a big problem for me for years. And it still is. If someone has suggestions on how to deal with this, you are very welcome to give me advice 😃

Starting BR:  €333,57 ( 28/9 )

Profit:             €119,99     

New BR:        €463,56 ( 4/10 ) 

Ticket BR:             €95

• Like 8

@nightshopper Firstly, well done on the tourney front, it's good to see some progress. I played the Mothership for the first time last night and enjoyed it while I had a big stack but then ran out of patience or stamina after over two hours, not helped by taking a bad beat in the UK €50 qualifier and bubbling the tickets. :teardrop:

Bankroll management, according to some, is the single most important thing you can actually control. If you have no bankroll you can't play, so it's vital to protect it. We've all heard the stories of players running up huge winnings then 6 months later back on the 1-2 grind because they've blown it. Just because your successful at one stake doesn't mean you'll have similar figures at a higher level, especially so in poker, so it's got to be a gradual increase. A few good results at €1 or €2 doesn't mean your rolled for €10 or even €5. The suggestion from @elron66 sounds good, after all he's the one showing how discipline helps, he said last night his roll has grown to over a €1,000 from nothing in two years, pretty good. It might sound like a long time but if he'd blown it after 6 months or a year it's back to zero and going to take even longer.

I'd suggest keeping records as though you have two bankrolls, your main one as €400 which you will use in the same disciplined fashion, and a secondary one of €50, which can be used for taking shots, maybe a few at €5 and the odd one at €10, but if that hits zero then don't ever chase any losses. As your main bankroll grows a small percentage can be added to the secondary one, you never know, that may even grow faster, but don't overstretch. 

I've been potless before in the past, and scraping together €20 and firing up 4 cash tables has never been a good tactic :teardrop: scared money never wins and you just cannot play optimally in so many spots. 

Treat your bankroll with respect and as a friend, and together you can grow and conquer. I don't know where that came from, it sounds terribly terribly cheesy, but it's true. 

Good Luck. 👍

• Like 10

"It turns out that 75% of all poker players think they play better than the other 75%."     image.png.99a4e82708d54abfc527324e8836768e.png

Ya, my suggestion for cheat nights isn't about correcting the desire to play higher ... it's about scratching that itch in a controlled way.  You decide in advance how much "mad money" you have for, say, a given "Fun Friday" and make a special deposit for that night, and play what you want.  It may help get the urge out of your system in a controlled way.

But I should also add my "discipline" isn't necessarily discipline as much as it is fear.  I am not really a gambler, as I've said a few times on stream, and I look at poker in uch the same way a trader looks at the markets ... as calculated risk over the long term.  That's why I track my progress so closely ... its essential in my ability to rationalize the short-term losses against the longer term ROI trend.  But the main reason I don't take shots isn't so much that I am disciplined, but that I'm actually terrified of "playing above my level" and that is sort of clear in how slowly I tend to move up the buy-in levels.

Regardless, I hope you know you have supporters here my friend, and we're all pulling for you :).

• Like 5

I think it's sometimes impossible to avoid tilt when the bankroll takes a dip or mental game is otherwise not good. The main thing is to take a break, go do something else enjoyable (e.g excersize, social stuff that gets rid of some of the frustration/negative energy) and then return fresh to smaller stakes when you are no longer tilted.

So IMO the main thing is being able to stop playing when things are going too badly. You will always get new and new chances to reach the higher stakes if you are a good player, so really you aren't losing anything except a bit of time (and you are learning stuff on the way)!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks a lot for all the helpful reactions, guys. I really appreciate it and I will consider all the advice. At the moment I am really happy how I handled my bankroll boost. Usually a quick bankroll boost means a bigger risk of blow ups, but this time I handled it well. After the Galaxy win I had 3 losing days in a row, but I didn't play anything to win back my losses. What helped was that I didn't focus on reaching a €500 BR as quickly as possible, instead I was thinking it would be normal to lose a part of my BR. I was thinking, even if I have a downswing to €400, that's still great cause 2 weeks before the BR was something like €330. This mental trick helped me. And I got the reward too, yesterday I was 2nd in the Zenith which made my BR climb to €487. Again, I will not think about reaching €500, but I will focus on the fact that it would be normal and okay to lose some buy ins. No matter what, I am doing great and if I keep the discipline it will work out fine. I've made the same mistake over and over again, I would be so glad if I could finally prove I can play with discipline for a long time. 

Starting BR:  €463,56 ( 4/10 )

Profit:               €24,12     

New BR:        €487,68 (12/10 ) 

Ticket BR:         €60,5

• Like 8

In addition to my latest post I'd like to add my ticket BR is decreasing and I think I should take care of that BR too. The latest weeks I binked some €25 and €10 tickets and I must say, having those tickets for bigger tourneys were good for my mental game too cause I knew I could play bigger some evenings. So I have to play enough qualifiers in order to be able to play €10 and €25 MTT's from time to time. It's a cheaper way than depositing money for a 'cheating BR' :atisfied: 

• Like 7