My 2018 Challenge - From Zero to Winning Live

ChicestMolts

Hi all

Firstly, Happy New Year everyone! I’ve been thinking about starting a poker blog for a while, and with it being the start of a new year now seems as good a time as any. I’ve been playing poker on and off for about 15 years, though haven’t played regularly for a few years. While I believe I’m good enough to win money at it, a mix of poor bankroll management and a tendency to go on tilt too often stops me from winning consistently over a longer period. My hope is that by starting this blog to track how I’m doing and giving myself regular goals, I can turn that around.

My goal for the year is to start from nothing (other than some Bonus Points and Challenge Points rolled over from last year) and win some money at a live Unibet event. The Unibet Open in London next month will almost certainly come too soon, but I’m looking forward to the 2018 UK tour being announced. I’ll have to start by grinding the freerolls to build a balance and win some tournament tickets, then progress to the cash hold'em tables once I can actually afford to take a seat! I’ll also be using the monthly missions and other promotions along the way.

Each week I'll set myself a challenge. If I complete it I’ll set myself a new challenge for the next week, but if I don’t, I’ll have to repeat the same challenge until I do. This might not be the most efficient way of progressing, but it will improve my discipline which will definitely help in the long run. So here we go...

Weekly Challenge 1 – Playing only freerolls, win at least 70 €0.02 bounties and win at least two tournament tickets.

Daily updates to follow, good luck at the tables. 😃

WEEK 1, DAY 1

Let’s face it, these freerolls aren’t poker. But right now they’re all I’ve got, so the sooner I get past this stage the better.

New Year's Day was never going to be my most productive day. Looking at the calendar it’s the only day all month that my fiancee and I were both not working, so spending time with my family was the only real priority. That being said, my 15 month old daughter waking up at just before 5 this morning let me play the 5.05am €25 Omaha freeroll, where I managed to collect nine bounties. Didn’t quite win a ticket as my two pair plus open-ended straight draw didn’t improve against trip aces, but still a surprisingly decent start.

I also won a UO Slot Freeroll ticket from my free slots spin, but the rest of the day was a write-off. I entered a few of the other freerolls shoving early and hoping to get lucky, but didn’t. It’s not how I'd like to play them, but I didn’t have the time today so worth trying to catch a lucky bounty or two. The only one I actually attempted to play properly in was the 11.05pm €25 Hold'em freeroll, but that ended in my AK being all-in pre-flop against J10 and another AK, with J10 hitting two pairs to send me to bed.

Overall a solid enough start, though not as good as it could have been. Back to work today which actually makes it easier to play some of the tournaments.

Current Position:
Cash balance: £0.18 (€0.20)
Tournament tickets: €0.01 UO Slot Freeroll ticket
Bonus Points: 135
Challenge Points: 465

WEEK 1, DAY 2

Ever wish you set yourself an easier challenge to get started?? 🤣

Today underlined how tough this first challenge is going to be to complete. It’s not the poker that’s letting me down (yet!), it’s finding the time to play these freerolls that’s the issue.

My plan for during the week is to play the tournaments at 7.05am (while getting ready for work), 1.05pm (on lunch break), 5.15pm (walking home from work) and 11.05pm (in bed). I’ll struggle for time to play any others most days, so any I do register for will probably be ‘all-in every hand hoping to get lucky as I’m more than likely sitting on the toilet’ tournaments, but we all have them, right?

So anyway, here’s today’s tale of woe:

7.05am – Pretty standard stuff here, done ok without being dealt much. Down to about 250 players remaining when I’m dealt 1010 in late position. Short stack UTG pushes all-in which I’m happy with, chip leader then shoves trying to isolate the bounty which I’m also fairly happy with. I call, UTG shows JJ, chip leader shows Kc9c, three clubs appear and out we go.

1.05pm – Was all set to play in this one, until I got a phone call a couple of minutes before registration opened. By the time I’d dealt with that, the tournament was full. 😠

5.15pm – This is the best chance to win tournament tickets, and ties in with when I’m normally walking home from work. Unfortunately I left work early today so it instead tied in with dinner time! Pushed all-in first hand with AQ, was called by KK and 77, and hitting a Q on the flop wasn’t enough.

9.05pm – This is the one that annoyed me today. Only managed to start playing 20 minutes after the tournament started but quickly doubled up. Was still way under average stack when I was dealt 77 and someone with about 10 times as many chips as me goes all-in in front of me. I should have folded as there were a couple of players due to blind out in the next few hands so had a chance to pick up a cheap bounty, but called and was knocked out. 

11.05pm – Exactly the same situation as my first tournament today. Just over half the players out when the short stack goes all in, with the chip leader then doing the same. I call with A3 (too loose, but I’m up for work in 5 hours!) and the pot goes to the chip leader’s A5.

So a bit of a disaster today to put it mildly, and it means I need to average more than 12 bounties a day for the rest of the week. Not easy, but plan on working harder tomorrow to get back on track. Managed to find one positive from today, I can just copy and paste the below from yesterday’s update so I’ve scored at least five seconds there! :popeye:

Current Position:
Cash balance: £0.18 (€0.20)

WEEK 1, DAY 3

Working down in Essex yesterday (I live in Edinburgh) for the rest of the week but the tournament times fitted in quite well with my travel times so thought I'd be able to have a decent day, though it didn't turn out that way.

5.05am – That’s a bit better! Three bounties collected on my way to finishing 27th (9 away from a ticket). Could have been better if I didn’t have to sit out for 20 minutes just before the break going through airport security, especially since I was sitting 2nd at one point, but a solid start nonetheless.

7.05am – My flight was at 7am this morning, but since it was Easyjet I registered safe in the knowledge we'd be delayed long enough to play at least one hand! Managed to collect one bounty with 43s before my inevitable early exit 10 minutes in.

So not the worst of starts to the day, but it all went downhill after that. For the 9.05am game I was in a taxi with my boss and my boss's boss, not the ideal place to concentrate! Registered but went all-in, and all-out, early. Work was then really busy so wasn't able to play at 11.05am, 3.05pm or 5.15pm, and the 1.05pm was cancelled due to the system issues.

Played the 9.05pm from my hotel room but my K9 on a 9-high flop was beaten by someone chasing, and catching, a flush on the river. Was really tired so set an alarm to register for the 11.05pm game which I did, but fell back asleep before it started!

So, I'm not going to complete this challenge if I'm not able to play enough. Now need to average over 14 bounties a day to make it as well as winning two tournament tickets, so it's looking unlikely. If I have another bad day today I'll be doing shorter updates for the rest of the week and I'll regroup for another shot next week.

Current Challenge Position:
Bounties collected: 13/70
Tournament tickets won: 0/2

Current Overall Position:
Cash balance: £0.26 (€0.29)

WEEK 1, DAY 4

Yesterday confirmed that I’m not going to complete my challenge this week, just not getting the chance to play due to how busy things are at work. Bit annoying due to it being my first blog and wanting to start on a high, but not the end of the world. I’ll play a few more freerolls over the weekend and post on Sunday again with my starting position before trying the challenge again next week.

Thanks to @radge1, @4soul and @theMachine for the comments, hopefully I’ll have a more successful week next week for you to read about!

Current Challenge Position:
Bounties collected: 16.5/70

Cash balance: £0.33 (€0.37)

WEEK 1, DAY 7

Didn't play much on Friday or Saturday after admitting defeat in this week's challenge, though actually had a couple of decent results today. Finished 18th in the 7.05am game and 64th in the 5.15pm game to win two €1 MTT tickets which completed the second part of the challenge.

Regardless, I said at the start that if I didn't complete a weekly challenge I would have to repeat it, and that's what I'll do next week. Today's results have at least given me a bit of confidence going into the new week.

Final Challenge Position:
Bounties collected: 28.5/70 😠
Tournament tickets won: 2/2 👍

Cash balance: £0.57 (€0.65)
Tournament tickets: €0.01 UO Slot Freeroll ticket, 2 x €1 MTT tickets

WEEK 2, DAY 1

One lousy bounty. That's all that I managed to win yesterday, and even that came in the last tournament of the day. Definitely not how I wanted to start my week.

Not going to moan about not having the chance to play ask much as I wanted or the bad beats I had (despite how much I want to! :waterfall:), just going to have a better day today.

Weekly Challenge Position:
Bounties collected: 1/70 

Cash balance: £0.59 (€0.67)
Tournament tickets: €0.01 UO Slot Freeroll ticket, 2 x €1 MTT tickets

It's interesting how you manage your challenge to do things in one session! It will be hard , but GL! Awesome style and organisation in expose your sessions :)

Good luck, always wanted to try a zero 2 hero challenge myself but I haven't got the patience  , I always end up buying in to something with what I've got left. 

Gotta be quick on the button to register in the free rolls eh, 1000 places get snapped up in 10 seconds! Madness. 

Your right it ain't poker but its something.

Again GL 

Archived