Manchester or Bust

GR1ZZL3R

A warm welcome to all you tournament junkies out there, I'm looking for help and advice on my new mission, and at the same time record my progress in a dedicated challenge.

When I started playing poker my ultimate ambition was Vegas and the WSOP, but time, a job with long hours, family commitments, underfunded bankroll etc, and to be frank, a less than 100% work attitude have slowly but surely brought the target lower over the years. However circumstances change, and finding myself with unlimited time, (except for age)  a healthier bankroll and needing a purpose to fulfill, I've come back to step one on the road to glory, Manchester.

It was the recent series of the Malta Community Rumble which has fired me up, I really enjoyed the chit-chat and feel good factor of the experience, so am determined to sample it for real.

Looking back Malta wasn't really realistic for me to get to, so I had to set a target. Glasgow is a possibility, Brighton's not really, but MANCHESTER, WOW, it's not Vegas, BUT it,s only just over the border, (if I can get an exit visa) I understand the language (sort of) and it's a few months off. Perfick!

However I play far more cash than tournaments, I do play them sometimes and have had some success, but that's not my main concern. What sort of schedule do you experienced guys follow, how many sats do you play, and how do you use your tx to the best advantage, hoard them, play one level at a time, win one level play the next immediately, do you split them often, so many questions, I would really appreciate some ideas and feedback.

This quest WILL ultimately end in success, I Will appear in Manchester, but it's how I get there that is the main challenge. Buying in directly is an option, but that's not a challenge is it. Getting there for less than e220 is the object, how much would you spend pursuing this.

I will be offline around 18th-22nd, my daughter is moving back down here and she has my new birthday computer with her, so hopefully I can download the client and multi-table happily with the best of you, and the challenge starts in earnest then.

All help, tips, schedule hints, etc will be gratefully received, and some of them may be pursued.

Thanks GR1ZZL3R 👍😃

"It turns out that 75% of all poker players think they play better than the other 75%."     image.png.99a4e82708d54abfc527324e8836768e.png

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I played 1s till I won one, then played the 4e straight away.

If I lose start from the 1 again,If I win break down the 25s to 4s.

Keep grinding the 4s till you have 4x25 then take shots at the 25 games.

Try to keep your 25s balance at a 100, and I would try a a final when you have 3x100.

Some will say try faster but I always felt more comfartable knowing I have backup tickets.
The majority of these games end up quite shallow and winniong a flip at the right time makes or breaks you.

Good luck making my home town of Manchester.

You can exchange UO tickets again all is unicorns and rainbows in Unibet land.

Nice challenge and I wish u the best of luck! 

Im not very experienced and my strategy is probably far from optimal but mayby u get something from it :) 

Satelites is all about the bubble and ICM, in the early stages your aim is to build your stack big enough to have as close to or above what the avg stack will be at the bubble. I would recomend you to put some time into studdying icm spots and how its affecting the shove/call ranges depending on all stacks at the table.Bets way to get started imo is by recording a session and then rewiew it with holdem manager or other icm soft :)

Imo the 1 --> 4 eur UK qualifiers is the hardest to beat bcs of bigger field and more icm unaware players that adds to the variance, so I would recomend to start at the 4 -> 25eur. 

Personaly i didnt see the value in grinding the 1->4 eur so I didnt exchange any 4eur tickets to smaller and immidiatly played 4->25eur. When I won one I exchanged it to 6x4 +1x1 and when I had two 25:s I take a shot at 25->100. If it didnt work, repeat. I didnt exchange the 100 since thoose ones dont run as often they are harder to get and for me that made them more valuble then having 4x25,  I rather take my chances in the final and get more experience there. I didnt make it first time so went back down to grind another 100 ticket and then took another shoot. 

In the UO I exchange alot more though since the stakes are higher and u only get 5 shots when exchanging 50-> 10 instead of 6,25 as with 25->4. That also adds to the value of exchanging 250UO to 50UO.

Thanks for the feedback so far @jonny2192 and @triceraatopp, I wasn't sure wether to start at 1 or 4, already a difference of opinion. Don't know wether it makes a difference or not, but my current br is 300, run up from an initial e20 deposit and basically just messing about in 2-4 and the odd journey into 5-10 for challenges( brag ), so my view was start at the very bottom and the only way is up, but @triceraatopp, but both suggestions have merit. Ta.

By the way @jonny2192 why did I think you were from the midlands.:wonder:

"It turns out that 75% of all poker players think they play better than the other 75%."     image.png.99a4e82708d54abfc527324e8836768e.png

Not sure why you would think I was from the midlands 🤣

Where you start and what brm you use is really just down to personal preference, I try to put as little cash into live sats as possible because once you get a ticket its then locked into that tree and only way to get any back is win a final, bubble a game for some small cash back.

So I prefer to make sure I dont go bust once past 50e of tixs and not need to put more cash in, but go with what suits you the best everyone has different ideas on brm.

@GR1ZZL3R If you going to try the ones, you may aswell enter the 1c flips to a 1eUK, If you win one gets you a very cheap attempt, If you dont still play the 1e its only cost you one cent extra.

The UK tour ones are flips, so you dont need to do anything,

The ones for UO4 are really good value and pretty easy game with max buy in.

That means a lot @Shoryureppa. I've never tried anything like this seriously but seeing all the support and help from this community for loads of other challenges I feel at home here, and the attempt being public, I hope will keep me focussed. You are a ♦️

So long as it aint a J of ♦️ :laugh:

I really would like to see one of the guys make it live and play among the rest of the "cast" so to speak.

Well I havent played live or done the sat thing...so the best advice I can give you is...

1) Spreadsheet for result tracking....ensure to include notes...so you'll know where you've picked up bad beats or played a situation badly etc.

2) Don't get anxious, expect set backs but, go for it until you're sitting in Manchester with the boys

Cheers man 👍

@GR1ZZL3R

Thanks again @Shoryureppa

I'm not going to bore you with all the details, maybe just significant milestones or as and when I feel like it BUT.............

I said I'd try the e1 first but I had an odd 4 in my br so jumped into a e4 , everyone playing steady 1st 5 levels, then I got KK on the button, raised 2 1/2 bbs and called by big blind. Flop Kh 6h Js, he checks, I raise 3/4 pot, he re-raises, I re-raise, he goes all in, I call. He's got 9h 7h, the turn comes 3h and a brick on the river. I'm out, my dreams of Manchester shattered in one cruel blow.  Oh, hang on, it's only my first effort.

C'est la vie. 

Que serra serra.

It is what it is.

Tomorrow is another day.

I fight on.

Could @jonny2192 be right about KK?

@GR1ZZL3R wrote:

Thanks again @Shoryureppa

I'm not going to bore you with all the details, maybe just significant milestones or as and when I feel like it BUT.............

I said I'd try the e1 first but I had an odd 4 in my br so jumped into a e4 , everyone playing steady 1st 5 levels, then I got KK on the button, raised 2 1/2 bbs and called by big blind. Flop Kh 6h Js, he checks, I raise 3/4 pot, he re-raises, I re-raise, he goes all in, I call. He's got 9h 7h, the turn comes 3h and a brick on the river. I'm out, my dreams of Manchester shattered in one cruel blow.  Oh, hang on, it's only my first effort.

C'est la vie. 

Que serra serra.

It is what it is.

Tomorrow is another day.

I fight on.

Could @jonny2192 be right about KK?

Of course im right, Its a well known Unibet fact.

Proof you say...... check here.........

https://www.unibetcommunity.com/t5/General-Poker/KK-curse-is-real/m-p/46728#M7770

Monday, Monday, be good to me.............

Don't worry if I ramble on a bit, I'm doing this for my own enjoyment as much as anything, and I' ll love it if you tag along. I'm not going to give a blow by blow account but I want to go through highlights as and when.

I started Saturday at the bottom, e1, why not, and let's be honest, it wasn't a great beginning.

First attempt, 13 players, 5th hand, I get AA. Great...............but, I'm out in 13th place against 10-6s.

Take two. I made the bubble, out in 4th, A-10 v KQo.

Fourth attempt, 9 players, 1st hand. FIRST hand, AA. I'm out in 9th against Q-10o.

Six attempts, no progress. I'd noticed the e4s were getting smaller fields, only 2 tx on offer but the odds looked better, so why not.

First go e4, 6 players, 5th hand, JJ..............out in 6th.

Honestly I wasn't over valuing my hands, they were all standard events, so on we go.

Second e4 was Much more exciting, 6 starters again and 2 latecomers made 8. Steady away, standard play, then this happened.

1761162820_Screenshot(26).thumb.png.825c7709405ba4a6fa51a724d6084642.png             

Usual play, I raised pre, one caller, not over happy with the flop but c-bet anyway,  he called, turn is an Ace, what to do. I really didn't like it, so checked and BOOM, he's all in. Are aces destined to be MY cursed hand? He's definitely got the 10, but I've got outs, and having lost twice with aces previously, I was pretty peeved, so I called.529872227_Screenshot(27).thumb.png.40872861169aad7caa11102d3937162c.png       

Great news, no 10, just a bog standard flush draw, fingers crossed.1833759678_Screenshot(28).thumb.png.d8c17e25eed4433523070b76b64092b7.png      

Should I cry or cheer. A small sigh of relief was enough, survival is quite important. We fight on.

Some time later we're on the bubble, but I'm not in a healthy position.1768729867_Screenshot(24).thumb.png.b8aa0bc873f6e6bef22d6b7148901eca.png        

I think the big thing in these situations is not to panic. I used to play many doubl or nothings some time ago, and so many players would lose some chips and go into steamroller mode to get them back as soon as possible, whereas I used to play the waiting game, so many times players would knock each other out, and I would slip quitely into the money, unobtrusive, unobserved and counting the cash. I think that's why I was so low here, and of course rubbish cards, but you have to start playing some time.

Villain 1 was of course pushing everything, and villain 2 was pushing me, but "Patience, young Jedi".  I won a couple of flips, 66 against 10-4, (I told you he was pushing everything) and what seemed hours later, 20 minutes and 54 hands, the Ladies came to the rescue.

Sorry about that, I ran out of time editing, 😠😠😠

1663123182_Screenshot(25).thumb.png.7463fc7c914024c6d2561c2d56d38ec6.png       

Nice flop.

I rambled on in the editing and ran out of time, so I'll try to be briefer.

It's not a brag, I was just so relieved to make it, and a horrible start had turned out much better than I could have hoped for.  E14 spent, 1 x e25 in the bank.

1. Are aces cursed. @triceraatopp says yes, @jonny2192 says KK, @Shoryureppa says AJ, I know who's side I'm on so far.

2. What % of e1 and e4 would you expect to win, tiny sample size so far, so no comments from me.

3, Would you have called the all in A-K-Q-J given my run bad so far?

4.. Anything else.

Thanks for reading so far, I'll try not to ramble too much but it is MY therapy. 😃

Run Good.

♥️

That AA hand is a virtual snap call on your part because 80% of the time he doesn't have the T.  Sure a T would be in his range for a preflop call.  TT all the way to AT make sense pre... but the bet he made makes virtualy no sense.  Ask yourself how much you'd have bet on the turn considering your stack, opponents stack and how much is in the pot.  Furthermore on the off chance he does have the T you have 14 redraws.

Archived