LLinusLLomu SNG Blog

LLinusLLomu00

I have decided to create a blog as it seems a handy way to document my journey and interact more with the community. 

I will start with a little intro about my time in poker. I have been playing on Unibet for about a year, initially struggling for the first few months, probably down -500 euro. During the coronavirus I began to work on my game, study with ICMIZER3 and went from a 100 euro balance in June to over 6000 in August. The games were great, I was primarily playing the 5 man 25 SNGs, with a ROI of 5% post rake (10%pre) over  about 2500 games. I definitely felt comfortable in these games, although I believe the best player in the pool was WhoCalledMe, I am not sure if he has a blog. I also played some MTT's as the guarantees were great, even having a session where I shipped the 50 Neptune, the Titan and runner up in the Comet.

My main issue over the last 2 months has been game selection and tilt. I tried to compete in the 50 euro sngs during the start of the promo and lost some, not sure of the exact numbers. The main issue was after playing very long, break even sessions I would play the 200 euro 2 man SNGs. Although I have a winning record at 25 and below in the HU format, I was definitely a losing player. Similarly I would reg the 100 Hexapros on tilt, and in the final week of the leaderboard for SNGs, despite being 2nd place after Tuesday, I punted off a large amount of my roll on Hexapro's, and for the first time ever, Blackjack - losing 2500.

I decided to take some time off and figure out what I wanted to do. I really enjoy the game and learning. Maybe in the near future I will find a study group or something of that nature. I have read some blogs by Dennis - I rememberseeing that name at the 50's but I am not sure of his regular alias, and some other blogs  like Cuteraven. The plan is to update this blog with results, interesting hands, spots, etc. and hope for some feedback. LLinusLLomu

• Like 8

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck and nice results so far! Looks like an interesting start to a blog. I think I remeber seeing your name somewhere on 2p2 as well?

Yeah, tilt issues are common, I think everyone has them to some degree, with some people being more susceptible than others. I recently punted off 1600€ at NL 100 cash, and a few buyins of that loss was def from tilt :D. I think the main thing is to try and learn what triggers tilt and try and avoid those situations, or recognize when it is happening (easier said than done ofc). For me triggers for tilt are being tired, playing for too long, playing too many tables, and not doing enough excersize, etc. One interesting thing about poker IMO is that if you care about your results, it motivates you even more to live a somewhat healthy/balanced lifestyle (because you also get punished by tilting/playing worse if you slip up), so that you can feel more focused and rested at the tables.

• Like 6

Day 1. Forgot to mention I will start with a deposit of 500 euro, and whatever tickets were left from before my break - a few mtt ones. Not too much traffic but tried to play most of the 25s that were running and some 10's. Soft games but might be burning ev in spots where weaker players don't realise how tight they have to call off. For example if I am big stack with 30BB and two small stacks have 10BB I can shove any two in theory, on condition they are calling correctly. In the end of session one I finish at 378.98. I might play later on but haven't decided yet.

• Like 4

First session since last post, short session mainly 10 euro SNGs and 1 or 2 MTTs. Traffic is low, soft games yet my bankroll is now down to 290. I am unsure whether adjusting shoving ranges based on the assumption that population is calling wide is something I should consider, because I feel like I have an edge early on, but might be torching EV when I expect fish to fold good hands when short. Lastly I don't know who to tag, but I could not see the payouts to a tournament I was playing when I was close to the bubble. I switched from the app to the online client, no improvement which was quiet frustrating.

In other news I didn't get to play much this week due to lots of college work - I expect this to continue for the next few weeks and then hopefully I can grind over December. I have been thinking of purchasing GTO Plus for study, although not as much use for very short play, I like the idea of understanding the theory of a game plan, etc. Any other suggestions!

• Like 4

Thanks Dennis, I remember you only because your SN was Dennis during the 50's were running, not sure of your other alias(s). I was curious if you knew me - I read either you or Raven's maybe about a bad reg and got a little paranoid I was the spot on the table ;). Are you primarily playing SNGs still or are you on a break.

Got a good session in today. Won about 250 in the Sngs - the 25s ran for a good while. I also used my last MTT tickets to enter the 50 Neptune - I final tabled and battled with @IanSimpson (who ended up shipping it)  and finished 4th good for 500 euro. All in all I went from 290 at the start of the day to 1050. Its nice to see 4 figures again -  pumped to try and get back to my peak over the next few weeks if I can keep on top of college.

Dennis I see - is that because of low traffic or just better profitability elsewhere? Did you get the RYE Slayer course by the way? Curious to see what you thought - I probably wouldn't buy it purely because I don't play hypers and I think just using ICMIZER gives me a reasonable edge in these games.1410235232_Screenshot2020-11-13234835.png.becb5a889e77b017204e957383411d8e.png

• Like 9

Got another good session in today. Didn't run great in SNGs but I played a few MTTs aswell. Not many deep runs, but I shipped the 1250 Galaxy for a nice score. Came into the final table chipleader and steamrolled the table. Nice to have some momentum now - first 2 sessions back and the bankroll has grown from 500 to 1650 - maybe more I am finishing my last two sngs of the day. Hoping to put in some good hours next weekend, have to study for college during the week - can we break 10K by new years? Lets see :atisfied:1112610308_Galaxywin.png.c4f5fcb02453c56b9c06c0f0802bcc35.png

• Like 5

Rough day today. Played a really long session - basically all day, my usual problem. Was playing my A game for the most part, 4 tabling the 25's but ran bad and was down a few buy ins. Took a break but made the mistake of coming back, tilting off a few more buy ins and a 50, 100 HU respectively. Finished the day on 1169. Decided to withdraw 689 which means I am effectively restarting the challenge at 500 euros. Dissapointed with how I came back to the tables despite being agitated.

• Like 5

Well done on not tilting off your whole bankroll. With tilt issues (which I can omg so relate to!) - I think you're wise to withdraw your profit, and restarting seems like a great idea! This way you can work on your mental game and when you can consistently play without falling out of your bankroll plan, then you know you've cracked it!

I so agree with what @CuteRaven said about life/balance. If you are someone that wants to enjoy playing poker and profit, like we all do I guess, I think it's so important you have your life in order and are in a great frame of mind when you sit down to the tables. I think poker is one of the greatest mental challenges I've ever encountered in terms of emotional control. Which is something that keeps bringing me back to it, to try to master myself more than anything else.

Enjoyed reading your blog, good luck for the restart!

• Like 1

Thanks, I am not quite sure what my problem is - sometimes I think it may be better off to have kept a few thousand in myaccount, so the daily swings aren't significant - e.g. losing 10 buy ins doesn't mean i lose 50% of my role. Usually what sets it off it terrible play by someone tht results in me losing - even though this sort of play makes the games profitable. I will continue to play SNGs but also might try some low events in the Series, and maybe qualify for the 1K - I already have a 250 ticket.

I am passionate about the game and enjoy learning - but I am struggling to find content/ people to study with on certain topics - eg. 3 handed 20BB play on bubble, how to play vs bad players limping. etc. 

What is most frustrating is that despite sometimes tilting, I have won thousands of euros in small stakes MTTs and all 5 man SNGs, my problem is sometimes playing HU to get unstuck or whatever but I am working on it! Thanks  for the message Skillful 🆗

• Like 2

@Dennis__  That course looks great - anything by RYE is. Looking back, when I was up big I thought about buying the tournament masterclass while it was on sale - I feel like this sort of content would be more efficent for learning postflop then buying / running my own sims. The course deals mainly with sub 25BB spots is that starting stack in hypers - I've never played them. But yeah lack of people / structure in my learning sucks, I have decided to use the quiz tool on icmizer to run spots with the harder spots to get ready to play - still frustrating when players - even regs call way too light and torch both players ev, but such is life. GL with your study - enjoy the course

@LLinusLLomu00 thanks. One thing I learned far too late is that when regs call or jam too wide it isn´t necessarily because they are ignorant of the nash charts, sometimes it´s an individual or playerpool exploit. There are a number of factors to consider like future game for example. One such example would be stacking off a bit lighter than nash when you can potentially overtake the chiplead and print EV

@LLinusLLomu00 wrote:

@Dennis__  That course looks great - anything by RYE is. Looking back, when I was up big I thought about buying the tournament masterclass while it was on sale - I feel like this sort of content would be more efficent for learning postflop then buying / running my own sims. The course deals mainly with sub 25BB spots is that starting stack in hypers - I've never played them. But yeah lack of people / structure in my learning sucks, I have decided to use the quiz tool on icmizer to run spots with the harder spots to get ready to play - still frustrating when players - even regs call way too light and torch both players ev, but such is life. GL with your study - enjoy the course

RYE have a discord channel, if you're interested you can find it on their website. That's probabally not a bad place to make some poker friends if you want to discuss hands etc. Also if you're interested in setting up some session reviews / want to talk about how our poker journeys are going etc. I'd be up for that, if you fancied it and have telegram or skype for voice chat / screen share 😃

Update - just finished a pretty bleak session - I started the day with 370 (down from 600 over a few days). I wanted to take a break from SNGS, watched a few videos and wanted to focus on my play rather than results. Had some interesting thoughts and played some NL10 Cash - ended up about 10 buy ins over 4-5 hours, I'll post results later. I also played 5 of the £25 SNGs - and bricked every single one, finishing 3rd 4 times :dissatisfied:. I know that having a bankroll of 17 BI is asking for trouble, but I seem to be consistently losing to players who make fishy plays such as: 3x open playing 15BB effective. Min raise fold off 8bb. Lots of min betting, limping etc. I am struggling against these weak players somehow. Not that I haven't made mistakes but I had been feeling good about how I played the last few days - I know 5 games is a negigible sample size, but to be even stacks/ 2 big one small and to brick every time is more disheartening than usual. Gonna chill now - good news that I haven't tilted once and I am extremely motivated to learn. Finishing bankroll - £253.63.

• Like 1

Winning against those random fish is usually only possible when u go into a heater mode. Usually when playing good opponents and running good you will have a winrate (obv), but running good against these fish give amazing roi. The only problem is, you need to wait a looong time sometimes for that rungood. Hang in there, I've seen u playing youre doing fine ;)  (Just don't punt those mtt €5 too fast sometimes haha)

@waffel yeah I mean more losing day in day out against these bad players, not just when I'm all in etc. Bankroll down to 60- another 200 loss today. Not sure whether to take time off or reload. Not tilted but I suppose it is poor BR management to be playing 25's with a roll of 500 to begin with, regardless of how good the games are. Lets just hope I bink the main event next month
  • Like 1