Hitting the streets

UAC

Hey guys, 

Want to start a little blog here to keep track of my progress and keep myself accountable. I guess I will start with a little poker histroy and then put some goals for the thread.

Background

I have been in love with poker my entire adult life (even a little before adulthud actually), I love everything about the game and am still all these years later an absolute fanboy. I have played a lot, a little bit of everything but always without structure and discipline.

When I first started I was playing MTT SNGs of the turbo variety, I was  pretty good at these way back when and transitioned into MTTs which were/are awesome and horrible at the same time. I loved the rush of going deep, but my lack of BRM and hectic lifestyle proved tough. From there I switched to cash games, but instead of playong poker and trying to get better I was just mass tabling like a madman for rakeback....

I did this for a while, but ultimately it took the fun out of poker and as my life got a litle busy I kinda just stepped away. This was probably back in 2015 and since then I have had an on off relationship with poker, just playing here and there mainly husng and 5 man sng on Unibet and some other sites. Again I did okay, but found it hard to get into a routine.

While all this has been happening I have been playing live here and there, small stakes cash and tournaments, I really love poker, yes it is slow and boring in some ways, but I have met so many interesting people through poker from all walks of life and I really love that aspect.

That's about it...

What Format?

I was deliberating for the past couple of months which format I want to focus on, I thought about 5 mans, husng and cash, but in the end I have decided on the latter. The reason I think cash games are best is:

- best (imo) for overall skill

- best for busy lifestyle (pretty much 24/7 action)

- best for transitioning into higher stakes, better structured MTTs

- best for transitioing into live cash

The last two are really important to me as I would like to do both at some point.

The Plan

Due to the long layoff and not playing cash since forever I figured I should start at the bottom so I will be playing 4nl here on Unibet. I have deposited 15 buy ins for now, but have money spread around various sites, I'm hoping depending on the action here to play exclusively at unibet as I love the fact there are no HUDs and what not.

I hope to play miimum of 4 times a week for 3 hours +, so that is 48 hours a month, which isn't amazing, but I want somthing manageable for now, I will likely be 4 tabling when up to speed but will start with 2, not sure how many hands per hour you get on Unibet so would be cool if someone could help out with that.

Tracking

I hope to update this thread 1x per week and hopefully share some interesting hands and stuff like that if I can figure out the screenshots and what not. Also I wanted to ask you guys about how you are recording your results with no PT4 or anything like that, if anyone has any suggestions that would be awesome. 

I think that's it, let's see how we get on. About to start my first sesiion now :)

• Like 12

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi @UAC and welcome to all the new blogs.

I'm mainly a cash player as over the years I've always found it easier to jump in and out when I like, starting and finishing when i like, or lose and start tilting. I've never really tracked my results, withdrawn when I want and deposit when needed, but this year taking a lot more serious approach to see wether I truly am a winning player, (or not)

With not having a hand counter or much of a replayer actually counting hands is a bit of a problem. I tend to play 2-3 tables at a time and after an hour sit out and into the profile page and total the hands played up till that time. Someone suggested multiplying flops seen by 5 but I tend to be a bit tight so that doesn't really do for me. 

Most of the blogs seem to be sngs or mtts which I follow , my current challenge is under "New Year New Challenge" (have a guess if you like,)  and @Esir is attempting "One Million (hands) in One Year", a few more than I'll manage,🤣

Good to see another addition to join in the fun, gl. 👍

• Like 5

"It turns out that 75% of all poker players think they play better than the other 75%."     image.png.99a4e82708d54abfc527324e8836768e.png

@UAC

I mostly play cash game due to the flexibility to choose when to play and for how long. The player pool at the lower stakes are also pretty big so there are games almost all the time. Day time seems to be more reg intensive.

If you play 4 tables this will make up for approximately 100 hands in one hour. I would say that these numbers are pretty close at least to where it will land. So say 20-25 hand in a hour per table dependent on card distribution and the ranges you play.

I don’t track the hands in PT or other software at the moment.

Wish you all the best of luck at the tables:)

• Like 1

@Silver1 I seem to be getting on tight tables at the moment where most hands are being folded to a raise or 3-bet, so obviously not taking a lot of time, and when I say playing I actually mean dealt 80-90.🤣 If I only counted hands actually played it would be quite low in my case, as I've tightened up a lot for this challenge. I'll give some details after 4 days in my blog. 👍

Don't want to hi-jack this one.🤣

• Like 1

"It turns out that 75% of all poker players think they play better than the other 75%."     image.png.99a4e82708d54abfc527324e8836768e.png

Yeah we were talking hands dealt, no way it is 24 per table, that is like live poker :D

Anyway what a first 2 hours! Not sure what I have been doing messing around on stars and the like...

Started terribly and was down 2 buy ins in 10 mins QQ losing all in to two people with 88 lol and then KK<AK

Ground some back up then one of my tables went insane, people just openshoving anything...

aa1.PNG.5fb9bbe934d75686994f2c6d017396fa.PNGaa2.PNG.28c40338e5cf1bb66e391f42cd04bf14.PNG

Was pretty fun to say the least, ended up 26 euro in like 2 hours, so definitely a nice first session, will play another hour or so shortly. GL at the tables fellas!

• Like 2

Nice start @UAC you'll find you're sat at a slow table then one newcomer can completely change the game play, usually someone comes in raising and re-raising everything and the regs sit around licking their lips in anticipation of a feeding frenzy.🤣

@GR1ZZL3R thanks man! Honestly it is like I have gone in a time machine :D so many crazy hands, actually pretty fun!!

Played 30k hands of zoom over the span of a week a month or so ago and was such a horrible boring nitfest, hated every second of it, this was super fun!

• Like 1

You should find a good mix @UAC some good regs, some bad regs, some scared money, some clueless, some pure gamblers and me. I can be all of those at times. 🤣 Enjoy. 

• Like 3

haha @GR1ZZL3R we can all be at times!!

Played another hour or so, a lot of fun again, pretty much break even, so ended the day +£28 which is very nice.

Don't want this to turn into BBV but come on! Where is my bad beat jackpot ;)

sigh.PNG.403126dad498632e9cdcd649bee128b9.PNG

Will play a little during the day tomorrow and then again in the evening.

GL at the tables guys

• Like 2

thanks @Silver1 played my first daytime session today too, 2 hours and +21.55, so it has started really well, feels like I get AA every other hand at the moment 🆒

Last hand of the session, couldn't manage to scoop a huge pot otherwise it would have been an amazing morning, can't complain though!

aa3.PNG.83c0ae4d14529e6022e145d475313fd3.PNG

On another note, it is kinda hard to post interesting hands here as there is no hand history in text form or whatever right? So only really putting coolers and what not in the thread for now. Thinking of maybe having a notepad or something open so I can jot down action and stuff like that and then put more interesting hands in.

Results to Date

Starting roll €55

Session 1: 02/01/19 3 hours +€28.80 

Session 2 @: 03/01/19 2 hours +€21.55

Current bankroll €105.35 

Profit to date €50.35

Let the heater continue 😃

• Like 5

@UAC Nice start 👍

If I get an interesting or unusual hand I try to screen shot each street in the hand replayer straight away, by the time you finish your session it will have gone from your profile which only keeps the last 100 hands to replay.

• Like 2

thanks @Silver1

I am definitely going to try and make an effort to capture some interesting spots rather than just standard all in's and what not then as you say we can talk through them here.

Also I forgot to mention in the opening post. I am going to try some aggressive BRM so that I cantry move up a little quicker, one of the mistakes a lot of people make imo is that they spend too long at a particular stake.

Obviously this depends on your specific goals and desires, but I prefer and aggressive approach and have no problem moving up and down, so here is the plan.

brm.PNG.28827747926e0505c8dd248b58f5872d.PNG

This is probably a little optimistic at the higher stakes, so def open to change, plus I may not make it that far :D but happy with this for up to 100nl for sure!

• Like 4

Pretty crazy today, I played for 3 hours during the day and 2 hours this evening, the latter was a little frustrating, all of my tables seemed kinda meh and passive and I was down a little after getting dragged into that passive style, also just one of those sessions where you don't really run bad in terms of pots won or lost, but situationally...

Anyway, I can't complain, the day time sessions were great, I talked a little about the first one earlier and then I fired up the tables this afternoon and was greeted by Toto the whale who was directly on my right :haha:

4nl.PNG.723eacfd6879d22b3d4eb8f9c86772dd.PNG

What a stack for 4nl!! There was also another guy to my left with a €27 stack, so god only knows what was happening on that table before I arrived. I quickly got a double (surprisingly not from one of those two) and the quickly had a all in pre flop confrontation with Toto, unfortunately my AK could not get there against his 9To 😃

Despite all of that I had another great day ending with a total profit of €18.65, so a little over 4 buy ins.

Profit since challenge started is €69. That brings the bankroll up to €124.60, which is pretty close to the €150 required for my first 10nl shot. Hopefully the run good can continue and I can get up to 10nl and stay there.

• Like 4

A bit of a wild ride today!! 

@Brocky's thread made me miss playig husng so instead of cash I decided to fire up a quick session, I ran poorly immediately in the 4s and got a little tilted... Before I knew it I had blew a third of the roll and was down to 72 euros... 

So naturally I regged a 25 Hexapro :wonder:

885616886_savedtheday.PNG.b415ee3bdc5698b389f1536a29fbae8f.PNG

Somehow I hit a decent prizepool and managed to ship it, I did notice my opponents were playing kinda scared and passive, which surprised me as it is hardly a huge multiplier, but I was happy enough and shipping the Hexapro had me to 172.78, which was enough to move up to 10nl.

However this whole thing really annoyed me, I was tilted super quickly and really I lost a couple of flips or 60/40s nothing significant. That is super dissapointing and makes me aware that I have a long way to go if I want to be sucessful with poker. Mental game, steong discipline and a good work ethic are way more important than skill in poker imo, at least up to midstakes and I proved to myself I am lacking in two thirds of those. 

Hopefully it is lesson learned, but I for sure will need to keep on eye on myself going forward.

Anyway, know use dwelling on it, I jumped straight into 10nl, I have a 7 buy in cushion before I need to drop back down to 4nl, so I decided to play 3 tables rather than 4, so that I could top up without worrying.

The play was a little different ot 4nl but not massively, people were a little less crazy, but still making huge mistakes pre and postflop, so I think as long as I can run good early I should be able to hold my own know problem. I played a short session and ended up wining just shy of 4 buy ins, which leaves the final roll at 209.98

there wasn't too many super interesting hands, just lots of restealing from the blinds and some button 3bets with nice value hands, which were usually called and then my opponents gave up on the flop, so I chipped up nicely without showdown.

I played one somehwat interesting hand.

guess.png.541ca1704623c53902a96349a8171273.png

As I said I had been 3betting a lot. In this hand cut off opened to 3x and I made it 10bb from the small blind, the big blind tanked for a while before calling, cut off folded so we were off to the flop.

The big blind was playing on all three of my tables and I feel like he was playing ok, somewhat positionally aware and has obviosuly seen me 3b a decent amount. When he called I figured he is somewhat stronger than the average player who just flats any nice looking hand in this spot. somethig like AJs+ AQo+ KQs 99-AA.

Flop of KJ2 is obviosuly pretty good for our hand, but in a 3b pot I am not gonna go crazy here, there is no way I can get 3 streets from worse and there is a good chance he only continues with hands that beat us. Possibly only QQ calls that we beat here imo? and obviosly we block that

Anyway based on that I went for a check call, the V in hand bet around 2/3 pot after a short tank. Turn pairs the K and I am now feeling very positive anout my hand, we are only really losing to JJ now. I still think that check call is best pretty much for all the reasons I stated earlier. I would be betting here gainst the typical player but I believe this guy is somewhat decent and will bet for me, he bets again, can't remember sizing exactly but eff stack  on the river was about 2x.

The river pretty much gives us the nuts and I thought for a little bit before deciding to lead, i think our opponent now slows down with anything we beat. Anything he would bet here he probably calls with anyway, so don't lose any value by betting. I ended up deciding to overbet shove the river as I think he still calls with JJ and I want to get max value plus I think my line is kinda weird and I could if he says me as a typical player be playing something like AQ/AT hands like this and maybe other random SCs that picked up equity on the turn (he has seen me 3b 57s and 9Ts previously).

What do you guys think? Maybe I am giving a 10nl player too much credited or over thinking all this? My opponent ended up calling.

Figured it would be fun if you can guess his hand or maybe suggest what you would call with given this line :)

• Like 9