From Poker Donk To Winning Monk

P0kerM0nk

Nice going sounds like things are going nicely for you at the moment, low volume aside :)

I found you mentioning the variable frequencies of doing certain actions interesting when you was speaking about the YT player you've been watching. Because, I was looking at this lately, and I kind of decided because unibet tables can be anonymous every day if you want, with changing avatar, on unibet that isn't needed. Was curious to hear what your thoughts were on that?

Nice one for playing tonight by the way, I know what it can be like trying to get volume in when doing other things, but it's criminal not to play Friday/Saturday night isn't it

• Like 1

@SkilfulPoker I thought of that just after I posted that post as I didn't mention it and yes there is less need for balancing at anonymous games/tables. But that said you still have a metagame per table and especially vs the regs where you just can't go 100%/0% (all or nothing) this or that all of the time . Also depends on how many times you really change your avatar and how much you play. Don't see that many familiar names at 50NL but remember at 100NL some kept their names for long periods so in a way that would make them much more vulnerable especially when others do change their name.

Anyhow, that aside I think it is still important to think about frequencies as for one you might not always play in anonymous games or games might not be anonymous forever who knows. Thinking about frequencies also adds more depth to your own game and how you play and apply ranges properly. Going to the extremes where you use a RNG for every decision is probably absurd if you don't play high stakes but I agree it is definitely not a necessity to be a winning player for micro and medium stakes.

• Like 1

Monday... and I 'forced' myself to play a session, need to make some time to play or it won't ever happen, try to get an hour a day during the work week if possible. Had a 40min session today, went ok, bit up and down but ended up 2.5 buy-ins at 50NL. Played 5 tables, 3 on RIO and 2 on Unibet.

Both Unibet hands vs same villain, rec player, nice runout on the first hand, I checked 3 times OOP and raised his pot bet on the riv and he jammed giving me another stack, cooler for him. 

FULLHOUSE.png.654ed453e58f75dff8989fad3d83e34b.png

Villain 3b and I call, he was kinda targetting me now lol. He big bet flop and I raised. Bombed the turn and he called. Then he donk jammed the river... sad runout but had to fold.

SHETRIV.png.2fac7ebbf053447238014eda0ae100c9.png

BvB, I 3b and he 4b. Being too aggro as my 3b stats aren't crazy on RIO with all them 3b monkeys. He tripple barreled it off, not thrilled with flush river but not folding. Easy days.
AABOOM.png.5cb89f9f12b37a4b2e86396655b834b7.png

Calls 3b with TT, I raise the flop and he calls, bad turn as he will have lots of K in his range. Turn goes x/x. He jams riv and decided to fold. I still have lots of K in my range too so easy snap call with any of those K hands. Maybe got bluffed but hey ho.

TT.png.12eaed69cb3b579289e48b8136eb4854.png

Happy again with my play, may it continue and the winning as well :Veryhappy:

• Like 4

40min played last night and 1h today, bit of battling on with not really getting decent hands and spots. Only had 1 all in and that was today, AK vs AK and ended up in a tie. Regged for the Paddy's gold tournament but didn't score anything there. Cleared my €30 bonus and now onto my xmas bonus lol. Some more smaller bonuses after that. No idea if there are any after the €25 one but we will find out soon enough 😛 

bonus.png.b753eb2e4a119d422c5c0695a1acd9d4.png

Lost €9 yesterday and up €11 today, €2 profit over 2 days, can just buy myself a bread :Cheeky:
Will post some hands later this week, not enough time the now. 

• Like 4

Well no more bonuses after the €25 but I have enough points to get another €500 playthrough bonus but will have a think about it first, will need to up my volume as otherwise I'll be stuck with it till next year lol.

Just sharing some hands here, missing a few but cba going through the footage and didn't take a screenshot at the time but doesn't matter. 

Comments on pictures still not working.

UTG opens, I call, BTN calls, SB calls, BB iso's (pr ick 😛), UTG calls, I fold as I stacked BTN few hands before and he is volatile / tilting reg. BTN calls and SB folds. Bloody hell that flop!! BB cbets, UTG calls, BTN calls. BB and UTG check turn, BTN jams, BB folds (stupid flop cbet mate) and UTG calls with AA lol. Wish I was still in there 😀

4bpotsetdoh.png.97bf3c4677c886e2399443fd28d0c86e.png

BTN opens, SB 3b, I 4b and he calls. Looking at it now my 4b was maybe a tat too small. Flop goes x/x bad flop for my hand with no spade. Turn and riv go x/x too and he wins doh lol. He should bet riv at least imo.
NHdonk.png.3a03a355457e143da7b5230b4f4d7ae4.png

MP minraises, I 3bet and he calls. I cbet and he minraises lol. 70bb stack and decided to shove, weird SPR, ah well he had the goods.
JJoops.png.e2f6deb539c3baef4e67430750e75d68.png

MP opens, I 3b and he calls, big bet flop and he calls, I blockbet the turn and he raises and I call. Then he jams riv and I call. Don't think we can ever fold QQ here anyway.
QQthankyou.png.aa841ff8a2d4680d925b71de826d05bc.png

I open, get 3b, I 4b we get it in preflop. Tilty reg from 1st hand. 78s ok...
whatonearth.png.424218ecfa8af6af220c4f84041e2b78.png

I open and get 3b, call. He checks flop and I range bet myself and he x/r me. I call and he 1/3 cb turn no other option for me then to call. He jams riv, annoying spot, my hand is prob a bad bluffcatcher. But then him showing 88 is lol. WP.
luckydonk.png.785b0ab5f65e4ee18fd3b046f485e65d.png

BTN opens, I 3b and he 4b, I call. x/c flop, x/x turn, x/c riv and lol, thanks. Obviously a rec.
AQwhat.png.84061185d19614dece932b4cb6a2a343.png

• Like 5

So ended up working some over time last week as too many people off on holiday and one sick in my section so didn't play poker during the week but that's me off now myself for a week. Have played every day since Friday, Friday good, Saturday Bad, today so so. Overal this month going ok so far, yesterday was the worst day on Unibet and continued a bit today. Usual not hitting anything, every time I 3b I get 4b, every time I 4b I get jammed on... these sessions I probably struggle the most when every hand just doesnt go anywhere. Down 8 buyins yesterday on Unibet but I probably lost 2-3 more than I should of. It's just hard to keep folding whilst wondering if villain is bluffing but most cases they aren't. Tough times sessions like that.

Close to 200k points for the €25 bonus and the free €35 cash. Just on my last €25 bonus atm and not too sure if I am going to buy another €500. Will see when I get to that point. Still playing on RIO as well, another rakerace coming next week and will see how it goes at start of the week and where I end up in the ranking. If it's worth it I'll put some more volume in for a decent prize but don't want to grind so much it's barely worth the extra few bobs.

Was up about €400 on both sites this month till I lost 8 buy ins on Unibet yesterday lol but I'm still happy with most of my play. Poker will always go up and down so just need to go through it, I should maybe just stop when the session isn't going my way to prevent some bad play creeping in in the future.

3 hands of today for lolz:

AA jup, that's how poker kinda went last 2 days lol, could have been worse 😀

aacraaps.png.47a544c58b0365747c4e2116407ecc62.png

Another absurd hand, flop the nuts and got raised on the flop and just called. Maybe didn't play this the best thinking of it now but bit of a roll eyes runout. 
str.png.9b54a9ba56b0f8788119a3b4e3304ee2.png

3b pre and barreled it off, prob most random barrel in a while, felt like the board was so dry he would have folded random pair. Ah well, don't bluff the fish!
54sfack.png.8af182441c4d2cf8819ecc38ec408d8d.png

• Like 6

@AcesHigh hello, which first site are you talking about? Unibet has been a bit flat lately, will request stats again after tomorrow, just under break even on Unibet for the month and €450 up on RIO. Currently 5th on the leadRboard on RIO which pays out €100 but still till Sunday to go of course. Not sure if I can improve a lot on that but not going to focus too much on it and just try and play as solid as I can.

Just sharing a fun hand here:

Standard open, I check flop as A high is decent and don't have a BDFD, he x back. I 'range' bet turn as A high is mostly best and he still has lots of random air with some equity. He does like a weird minraise, easy call . Gin river which I x and solver seems to prefer a donk bet here but anyway I x and he halfpot and I just raised small maybe get some value of K high or some random pair if he doesn't know that best 5 cards count. He tank for ages then folded, strange lol.

quads1.png.61775bbffd4173fce29aaf695c0fa75a.pngquads2.png.ef833fa3f02d2e962efbedeb07187a59.png

Last day of the month and the quarter, just going to get to the next step for the €25 bonus and €35 cash, I'm about 2k points away. Might buy the €500 bonus again but still not 100% sure 😛

• Like 4

@FreedoM I didn't even know that this was available.

€500 playthrough bonus for 47,500 points or €500 50NL cash ticket for 50,000 points. Having a look at this I fail to grasp in which way the cash ticket would be better return? So I get €500 to play with straight away basically but have to see 3000 flops which would take me 1-3 months maybe, not sure how many flops I've seen this month but that would be the ref to go with. Playthrough needs less points, value of €25 less.

What other benefit is there of getting the cash ticket? It all gets released in one chunk once cleared? If I run bad I can still cash out €250 of it?

Feel free to hit me up with some clarification, I'm interested to know 😃

• Like 1

Maybe i'm wrong, but from my calculations to Clear a €500 PTB you need to see like 50k+ Hands / 200 HRs+ / 3 Tabling and to Clear a €500 50NL Ticket you need see 20 Flops/hr x3 Tabling for 50 hrs.

And even if you see less flops it will take you less time to clear it than the PTB. 

€500 PTB:

- Better value in the shop. (It's a trap like MTTs)

- You have a timer.

€500 50NL Ticket:

- Play Straight Away.

- Expires, uhm never, as long as you see 1 Flop in a 6-7 day period.

- It all gets released in one chunk once cleared.

^ If I run bad I can still cash out €250 of it? ~ No!

^ I think fear of losing should not be apart of your process when you make a decisions between a PTB and a Ticket!

That said, i was just curious why you chose the PTB.

Hey, good luck and maybe we will battle if i ever reach those stakes. :Happyshy:

• Like 1

Well thats the month over, I'll see to ask my stats for the month but will prob take another week at least before I get the results.

Overal profit for March is €632, pretty much all on RIO as I ended -€7 on Unibet lol, decent last day as won 4 out of 5 flips and tied the 5th one AK vs AK 🆒 Am now 4th on the RIO rake race LeadRboard but that is still same payout as 5th aka €100.

Probably stick with the normal playthough bonus as the way it's going on Unibet it is going to tilt me to F if I buy a cash ticket and see it going down :scared:

This is how I run on Unibet:

twatflush.png.8fcfe4fc16cac7c1c3e557d4341ec96d.png

It is really bizar as games on RIO are very aggro and sure some people play bad but there aren't as many players and definitely not as many weaker players like on Unibet and yet I can't win a hand vs anyone on Unibet 😞 Hope it goes my way again soon, managed to keep it break even so I like to think I can easily win in these games. Let's see what April and the next quarter brings... 

• Like 6

Already had my stats emailed to me lol, pretty quick! €308 rake paid, 8882 hands played and overal -€137.55. Although my balance is -€7 so must be with bonusses etc.
Still have a double and super double trouble ticket laying around, prob need to use it coming Tuesday if I don't forget.

I've been running pretty pure with my all ins in the last couple of days, that's good and bad as it means it is going to turn at some point :teardrop: 🤣

27/03 RIO JJ-KK 1-0
28/03 RIO KK-99 1-0
28/03 UNI AK-TT 1-0
29/03 RIO AK-AK 0-0 (1)
31/03 RIO AK-QQ 1-0
31/03 RIO AA-AK 1-0
31/03 RIO AK-QQ 1-0
31/03 UNI AK-AK 0-0 (1)
31/03 UNI AK-JJ 1-0
01/04 RIO AK-JJ 1-0
01/04 RIO JJ-AK 1-0
01/04 RIO AK-AQ 1-0
01/04 UNI QQ-AK 1-0
01/04 UNI KK-AK-QQ 1-0-0

Mental record, and even with 3 all in wins yesterday on RIO I had a breakeven day there 😞 lol

Multiway pot, CO and BTN both recs, I iso'd them with JJ, both call, dream flop, cb 1/4 or so, BTN is shortstack, both call. Blank ish turn and I jam, CO folds and BTN calls... gets there on riv 😞
multi1.png.073c9ec796430107e5f159c35dd5263c.png

A few hands later same table same recs, MP just calls UTG open and I iso again, UTG jams, MP calls and I jam and we hold! 🆒
haha.png.c33e4997152bad17eb3d541016047ff4.png

I 3b pre, BTN is pretty random player, my cb is getting raised and I jammed on the flop. Not sure what's going on there as this hand is a bit older. Nice turn, crap river 😛 Not sure if I should 3b 67s vs recs tbh.

booh.png.b74490722aa45c3736e36a4dcc5ec8d3.png

The typical rec line, call in SB with whatever vs UTG, call any bets then insta donk out riv when flush gets there, easy fold.
FishFlush.png.ddfcf732edc986634f3281fecd406312.png

Multiway hand, flop x through, I called UTG bet on turn and river. Maybe should raise turn but had still player behind.
wth1.png.35ef01b74dc3803764e9e5516acaffb5.png

BTN open, I 3b and he calls with QJo lol, flop I x/r and then we got stacks in. I still have 43% equity there. Unfortunate.
RIOmeh.png.105dfbec2f3cc58a3c0f871b662e0f5e.png

Same villain as above, I 3b and 1/3 flop. Then 1/3 turn again thinking I'm crushing the board anyway and want to keep weaker hands in. He calls and I 1/2 the riv, call off his jam as there are some straights but also other sets and even AA.
Surprisingly solver likes a check(/call) on the turn and check or 1/2 bet on riv depending on what villain does, calling jam anyway. 64s isn't in solvers range but guess it's borderline.
rio2meh.png.303372a03adba645dea449bb4ef421c0.png

That's all for now folks :Laugh:

• Like 5

Forgot to say that it has now been a year that I came back to poker. Been a year of ups and downs with the best month being +€1806 and the worst -€1553. Overal I made €3418 in the last 12 months. My game definitely has grown a lot but there is still so much to learn and I don't think there is ever a point where you stop learning. My overal goal is to get to a solid game much like the game you see in training videos. Knowing what to do in most spots and keep the emotional side out of poker as much as possible and just accept variance as it is. As long as your game is solid you should turn a profit over the long run.

Only played 30min today, off to watch a movie with the gf on the tele. Will play more during the weekend.

2 quick hands of tonight, UTG opens, SB massive 3b and I can't fold QQ so 4b and get it in but he insta folded lol.

4BETLOL.png.6f04f0d1ffdfe2ac7cd05bf826229ef1.png

I open UTG, get 3b small, easy call. Call bet on flop, then x/x turn and he x riv. I 1/4 bet riv exactly targetting QQ type of hand. This is probably a spot where I would have checked back in the past but misses out value if you don't bet river.
VALUEBET.png.369515d81690f3a6bdbb796958bc9311.png

• Like 4

These river value bets in your last hand example are so important for the long term profit, especially in cash games. It is a big leak in my game as well, I often miss to value bet the river in the low blind play at the SNGs/MTTs, which is also very important. Those few bucks/chips more could make a big difference. 

Overall congrats on your approach to the game. I wish you to keep on growing as a player, keep the good work and hope you will run good at the tables. I find your blog one of the best in this community, very nice content and those hand examples with your explanations are very interesting!

• Like 3

@LeVsKaRa Thanks for the nice post, although it isn't my intention it is nice to see that some people might get something out of my blog. I don't think my blog is special in any way but I try to keep it as 'realistic' as possible by giving a real representation of how things go and / or went, good or bad. It is poker after all 😛

@Argevolen profit including rakeback, so actually I'm only half as good without rakeback 😏

• Like 4

Didn't get to play as much as I wanted today as no games running on RIO, still 5th on the leadRboard for €100, be happy enough I can keep this by end of Sunday for a free 2 buyins. I guess there will be some games running tomorrow but never know.

Only played 1.5h on Unibet, games are very soft and a lot of button clicking going on lol, up almost 4 buyins 50NL but that's just the result so whatever, felt I played solid.

3b KK on the BTN vs shortstack rec, he donk overbets flop, lol play if he had an A as was going to range cbet anyway so he missed out on that 🤣

KKlol.png.1dddbebdb07fdc3d47fc84bd48f3f6a4.png

rec/reg fish on my left, was pretty 3b happy vs me, bit annoying. QJs easy call OOP, flop played itself, he turns over A5s and I'm basically dead ouch :Teardrop:
QJouch.png.8491b7961d64b970d822724b1696b8d1.png

Next 4 pics are for the same hand and same table as above. I call pre as a trap as BTN (friend of hand above) is 3b / squeeze happy.
QQlol1.png.53f1ab210dec73b3317f7e6d0f582005.png

Didn't expect everyone else to coldcall lol, dream situation even with QQ and I 4b, sometimes hard to get a size in situations like this, too small and half the table calls again and too big makes it vulnerable for jams although I don't really have any bluffs here, even if I should but F balance in this spot.
QQlol2.png.6f817114d11ca05be9ffdbec045c82f1.png

BB calls strangely enough and we see a flop, he donks out this :Smirk: don't see a point to call so just jammed and he called.
QQlol3.png.8e7e2b6ef9db6fa038ddd1b1d70eaa3f.png

Shows AK and we dodge A or K... wp sir.
QQlol4.png.ad50aa4705e736eb36992ca80e47343a.png

Lots of other hands but smaller pots etc, only had 1 all in pre which was AA vs AK with my AA holding up easy enough.

I've been keeping 100NL in my mind and not sure when I'll take another shot again, prob once I get to 2k balance which isn't too far away but think I'll be more game selective this time round. And move down again when I hit €1500 or maybe just mix stakes.

Tomorrow I will also be playing the 3k supernova lighting as I still have a ticket laying around.

Then back to work on Monday :Puking: 🤣

• Like 4

Today wasn't the best day, run good came to an end lol, ran AK into AA on RIO and games didn't run there but managed to play a bit 3 handed as 6th rank is close up my heels on the leadRboard, I'm still holding on for €100 and hopefully no games run for the rest of the night lol or I'll get €50 less.

Had 2 prize drops today in cash games. 500 bonus points and a €50 hexapro ticket, hope I can cash in that hexapro 🆒

Didn't get anywhere in the tournament, got dealt JJ 3x and 2 first times went multiway with overcards on flop and too much action. 3rd time lost 95% of my stack by slowplayed KK all in pre. Next hand I was dealt KK but was called by 44 or 66 and they hit their set on the turn lol.

Co opens, I 3b, SB (shortstack) coldcalls, CO 4b and I jam, they all call lol, no luck.

QQcurse.png.ebc7a587e933202c8b18efd36b689be3.png

BTN 3b, I 4b and he calls my 4b. All in on the flop, again no luck. Don't like his 4b call pre with QQ.
KKcurse.png.b46b665dded4614ce4cd68550014d913.png

Been a while I flopped quads but no action 😃
quads.png.ef8baeddfa3f14770abf9f23de4ad326.png

Nothing else to report, just keep on grinding when I can during the week and play the double trouble tourneys on Tuesday, need to set a reminder for it or I'll forget AGAIN. :Smirk:

• Like 7